Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My puppy ate a live bird!!!!!

4DogWonder
May 28th, 2005, 04:35 PM
one of my four dogs brought in a live sparrow from outdoors. She dropped it and the Jack Russel puppy we have snatched it and ran off. before we could get it form him, he ate it, whole. Is there any reason to fear, should he go to the vet, or anything else?????? :confused:

raingirl
May 28th, 2005, 08:23 PM
I would call your vet and ask what they think. A whole bird probably won't digest all that well, and might cause a blockage.

kandy
May 28th, 2005, 09:07 PM
I agree that a vet visit or at least a phone call is in order. If it was a bigger dog, it would have a better chance to go through okay but for a JR puppy - that's a tall order to digest! Poor guy - let us know how he's (or she's) doing.

Lucky Rescue
May 28th, 2005, 10:08 PM
Wild birds are often loaded with parasites, so you may need to get your puppy dewormed.

I would worry most about the feathers, since they are not digestible like the rest of the bird.

Keep an eye out and make sure the puppy is pooping normally.

Angerona
May 31st, 2005, 03:05 AM
My next door neighbours dog ate a mouse alive too...Not just one she's eaten 2 & seems fine.
All I can say is eww.
:yuck: :ca:

coppperbelle
May 31st, 2005, 07:14 AM
I think you will have one sick puppy on your hands. I suspect there will be some vomiting and diarrhea.
One of my dogs ate a mouse. She had the smelliest gas you have ever smelled and then vomited the thing up. It was disgusting.

I would contact your vet.