Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

afghans

lilith_rizel
May 28th, 2005, 09:15 AM
are they still pretty popular now days. I have been thinking about crocheting them, and selling them as a home business.... Just wanted to know if it would be s smart idea

Lucky Rescue
May 28th, 2005, 09:47 AM
It depends how fast you are. I've crocheted many afghans but never sold any and don't know how popular they are these days.

You would need to find a place where you can get yarn cheaply. If you do well, let me know and maybe I'll try it.;)

raingirl
May 28th, 2005, 10:31 AM
Yeah. It depends on how fast you can do it. I always make a few squares...then give up. I have like 10 unfinished peices!!

If you can find a yarn maker, they often have warehouses that sell leftover yarn.

lilith_rizel
May 28th, 2005, 11:20 AM
I found some yarn that is $1.77 a skein. And I was also thinking that maybe I could just start out with baby blankets. I have done those lots of times before. Just nothing fancy.

Writing4Fun
May 28th, 2005, 11:40 AM
I know people sell them on E-Bay. Some don't sell at all. Others sell for between $15 and $25USD. The baby blankets seem to be popular. It could be a good way for you to make a few extra bucks. Good luck! :thumbs up

lilith_rizel
May 28th, 2005, 12:25 PM
It was something that I was thinking about after I started making the new baby a blanket. And there are always people having a baby in the Military, so it's not like they don't have a chance at all of selling. I was thinking about selling each baby blanket for $15-20, the cost of the material would only be about$7

Lucky Rescue
May 29th, 2005, 11:21 AM
IF you do baby stuff, better to make a complete set. I used to make the blanket, jacket, booties and little hats for newborns. Very cute and you can make a whole set in little time, much less time than afghans.

Get the patterns online, since I see that patterns in stores are quite expensive now.

lilith_rizel
May 29th, 2005, 12:11 PM
I was thinking about that as well, it is hard to do?

lilith_rizel
May 29th, 2005, 07:09 PM
here is the beginning of the baby blanket I am doing for our new baby, which we think is a boy!!!!! :D with the way I am carrying, and my awful morning sickness.......

melanie
May 29th, 2005, 07:44 PM
i am assuming by afgan you mean poncho or blanket yes? (poncho blanket type goes over the head) i am assuming you are not refering to a geographical location, animal or vegetable or mineral :p :D

if they are in modern colors that are vibrant and sweet i think you will do well. i certaily buy homemade things for babies as often as i can, its alot more personalised and cute and a little cheaper. and it will keep you busy in the quiet times (although i doubt you ahve many :D ).

and if they are reasonably priced you will help out ther families in yoru position by offering a georgous personalised pressy without the high cost, perhaps you can take orders for them with specific requirements when you get more advanced and know what you want to do. i certaily would pay a good price for a hand made blanket with a babies name stiched in or similar.

aso think about selli9ng them to ppl sucvh as those in your parenting sites, im sure if you put your mind to it you will do very well.

i was making jewelery for the past year, outlayed a cost of $100 and made about $1000 of it (i think thats pretty cool for self generated income yay for me), so it just proves you can have a home business that is successful if you want to and if your motivated enough. you go and get em lady..........(mel jumps up and puts fists in the air and runs around screaming like a soccer star, mel loves it when woman acheive what they want). GO YOU GOOD THING :D :crazy: