Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

lotion licker

MollysMommy
May 28th, 2005, 07:36 AM
Every morning I try to put lotion on my hands and legs and everytime my puppy wants to lick it off. Does anyone else run into this problem? I don't know if it could hurt her.

SnowDancer
May 28th, 2005, 07:56 AM
Yes. My mini Dachshunds and now my Eskimo look forward to their morning and evening beauty routine. The Dachshunds in particular would pucker up and plant their little bodies right on my face. Softest lips and tummies in town. Used my sun block as well. Never did them any harm - Eskie being no exception. However, I use absolutely nothing with any sort of acid or retinol and nothing botanical. Don't know if that makes a difference - but just very rich, hydrating products.

JDG
May 28th, 2005, 09:09 AM
I think its fine. I asked a similar question about if I should use lotion at all with my little kittens:

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=14525&highlight=lotion

Some people mentioned that their puppies licked off lotion. . .

have fun with your puppy. ;) :)

mafiaprincess
May 28th, 2005, 01:55 PM
Mine tries to lick me dry after showering, and to lick off body lotion after that. I had to teach no touch to get her to stop. She sits half way across the room sticking her tongue out like it might reach... lol

kandy
May 28th, 2005, 09:25 PM
I use a beeswax/almond milk hand cream at night, and Lacey used to wake up to come lick it off my hands. I would have to hide my hands so that she didn't lick it all off! :) She also loved sun screen or any kind of lotion that had a scent to it. The only kind she never tried to lick was one time when I bought Aveeno with camphor in it by mistake. I haven't noticed that Hazel likes lotion yet, but she's already gone to work in the morning when I slather it on. :p Never noticed any ill effects with Lacey.

WeeZee
May 29th, 2005, 10:14 AM
Lick lotion??
Devours it! Our pooch acts as if it is her last meal ... her addiction!
I was agast at the look on her face when she first went for my hands ... using her paws to knock away all attempts to stop her. Amazing!
She is so insane for it, that I wait until she is sleeping to pamper my hands .. so that I have some left!
lol