Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Brother... my Golden puppy has some "issues" I think...

Roach9
May 28th, 2005, 04:50 AM
Well, she goes to bed at about 9:30 PM, however, she wakes up at 2AM and at 6AM, and after 6AM she will not go back to sleep. This wouldn't be a problem if she didn't cry and HOWL. When she wakes up we normally take her outside to go to the washroom, is this smart? Should we just ignore her and "force" her to get used to going to bed from sometime between 9 and 10 until when WE wake up in the morning.

She's currently crying as we speak in her kennel yet I'm right beside her talking to her and trying to comfort her.

What should I be doing in this situation? Thanks a lot.

BMDLuver
May 28th, 2005, 06:41 AM
She's 8 weeks old. She can't hold her bladder all night so forcing her to do so will mean she makes a mess in her crate, teaching her that a dirty crate is ok. That is part of having a young pup. Sleepless nights and giving comfort. I seem to remember you wanted two? Imagine how fun that would be right now.

Lucky Rescue
May 28th, 2005, 10:35 AM
You should have found out all this stuff before you got such a young puppy.

Babies of any kind cannot hold it all night. This is why human babies wear diapers, and puppies have to be taken out during the night.

kandy
May 28th, 2005, 11:37 AM
It will take some time before the pup can hold it all night - I think I saw in another thread that their age plus 1 is how many hours they can hold it. So if the pup is 2 months, then she can hold it for 3 hours. Our pup is 3 months and we still get up at least once a night to go outside. She goes to bed about 10:30 at night, up between 2-3 to go potty, and back to sleep until 5 am. Then she is up for the day, and wants to go outside, eat and then play - in that order. If you want to sleep late, you'll still need to get up and let the pup out and if the pup is rested, she'll want to play - goes with the territory. After no food for 10 hours or so, she'll also be hungry.

mona_b
May 28th, 2005, 01:16 PM
Should we just ignore her and "force" her to get used to going to bed from sometime between 9 and 10 until when WE wake up in the morning.

The answer to this is definately not.She is a young puppy.And as the others said,she can't hold it for to long.She still has a tiny bladder.She is crying and howling for a reason.She needs to do her buisness and is probably hungry.So when she gets up at 6am,then you take her out,let her do her peeing and pooping,play with her for a bit and feed her.

Also,how long is she in the kennel during the day?Also,did you slowly introduce her to the kennel when you got her,or did you just put her in there?

Roach9
May 29th, 2005, 04:37 AM
What do I do if she just cries and cries?

She was crying a while ago, I let her out and she fell asleep on her little blanket we set up, it's fine though for now because I'm up and she's about 2 feet from me but when she has to be in ehr cage what do I do?

Roach9
May 29th, 2005, 04:39 AM
Also,how long is she in the kennel during the day?Also,did you slowly introduce her to the kennel when you got her,or did you just put her in there?

She is in it for about... 6 hours during the day. With breaks in between when I come home from school at lunch, as does my sister and some family will drop by to let her out and such.

On weekends she's never in it during the day, she's only in it at night.

When we first got her, we made sure to let her go into the kennel herself and she did. She didn't cry much at first and we let her go to the washroom when she cried and we put her back in and she'd cry, but eventually fall asleep. :confused:

Karin
May 29th, 2005, 06:19 AM
What do I do if she just cries and cries?

She was crying a while ago, I let her out and she fell asleep on her little blanket we set up, it's fine though for now because I'm up and she's about 2 feet from me but when she has to be in ehr cage what do I do?

She cries, you let her out. I think her training is going very well.

Now she needs to work on leash training you.

Roach9
May 29th, 2005, 01:58 PM
*is confused*

Writing4Fun
May 29th, 2005, 02:58 PM
Karin meant that the puppy has you trained very well. :p The puppy cries, you let her out. You've now given her exactly what she wanted, rewarded her for crying by letting her out of the crate.

If you search this forum for "crate training", you'll find a lot of very useful information. Here's a link that LuckyRescue has given in the past. Maybe it'll help you: http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/7742/training/housebreaking.htm

Good luck. :)

Trinitie
May 30th, 2005, 09:55 AM
Your puppy is very young and misses her family. She cries because she thinks she's alone, and when she needs you.

During the night, she cries when she has to go potty, as she won't be able to hold it all night for a couple of months. (get used to getting up)

Where is her crate? If she's crated at night, have the crate beside your bed (or your parent's bed - I don't know how old you are). If she's not crying to go potty, then she's crying because she's scared. Totally normal for such a young dog.

I agree with the others - do lots of reading. There are tons of articles online, either here or by searching Google for "tips raising happy healthy puppy". YOU are responsible for how this little dog will develop. If you ignore it's plees for potty breaks, then you run the risk of causing damage to her bladder.

Please read whenever you have a spare moment. There are also plenty of books available at the library. Borrow books by Dr. Stanley Coren and memorize them! He's the best one I've seen so far when it comes to knowing what a dog/puppy needs to be happy & healthy.

If all else fails, ask us. We've all been there before & survived!

Don't be frustrated with her. She's very young.

Lissa
May 30th, 2005, 03:03 PM
When I found Dodger at 6 weeks of age, I wasn't at all prepared for puppyhood. I had never owned a puppy before and didn't know the first things about what they needed. I can tell you that I did everything wrong!! But, miraculously, Dodger is turning out fin!

Like your golden, Dodger had all sorts of issues with the crate and I didn't help because I just let him out like you are doing now. It wasn't a problem for me because:
1. There was always someone at home during the day (so he wasn't crated)
2. I never liked the idea of a crate training
3. He slept through the night without potty breaks from day one
4. He housetrained easy enough
However, since your puppy will have to be crated, then you need to read up about it and stop giving in (unless the pup needs to eliminate)! I know that Dodger just hated the crate because he was confined, so maybe setting up a pen or using baby-gates to close of an area where it won't matter if your golden has an accident is something to consider if the crate-thing doesn't work.

Anyway - good luck! What's your golden's name!? Have you posted pictures?
Melissa