Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Rushed Raj to vet today (Long post, sorry)

Cactus Flower
May 28th, 2005, 01:28 AM
First of all, Raj is a pukey dog. I don't take her to the vet every time she vomits (anymore). She has an extremely sensitive stomach. For example, I once gave her a piece of pumpernickel bread. She vomited for TWO DAYS over that one piece. Not constant vomiting, mind you, just a few episodes over two days time.

ANY time you give her something that doesn't agree with her, she'll have a pukey day or two. This is usually the cause of her vomiting- someone gave her something she shouldn't have: greasy food, sugary food, anything but white bread, etc etc etc. I know the list, and these episodes have almost always been traced back to a forbidden treat.

Well about five days ago, the gal at our ice cream stand slipped Raj an ice cream cone when I was rooting through my purse. I know she meant well (they have cones just for dogs), but I would have NEVER let her have ice cream.
She vomited (once or twice a day) for THREE DAYS following that incident. I called the vet on the third day. He was in surgery. His nurse (who knows Raj well) said that sure, it could have been that ice cream, and since she is keeping down water, yes I could give her some Tagamet (I asked), and see if her tummy settles down. If she vomits again, even after hours-bring her in. Well she was normal for the rest of the third day. In fact, she ate that evening again without so much as a stomach rumble.

She was fine again the next day. And the next. Today she seemed just fine, too. It was "obvious" to me that the vomiting was just from the ice cream.

But when I went to my chiropractor appointment this afternoon, Raj got out of the Jeep to come in with me, and started to throw up. She threw up this BRIGHT YELLOW liquid, and I freaked out!!!!! I'd never seen anything like it! I had no idea what that canary yellow stuff was- I thought OMG has she been poisoned, did someone give her something when I left her in the Jeep for a minute to go pay for my gas......
I rushed her to the vet. On the way over there, I also thought back to the pukey days she just got over and was KICKING MYSELF: "You idiot- that probably had nothing to do with the ice cream- that was actually a symptom some illness, and you should have gotten her to the vet THEN". My mind was just racing.

The vet checked her over thoroughly. He said that she seemed perfectly ok. He suggested that this is our worst pollen count in decades, and her seasonal allergies might actually be making her nauseous, (and the ice cream incident certainly didn't raise her tolerance any, either). He added that her tummy could just be becoming even MORE touchy. But of course we will run a blood panel on her to rule out anything serious.

He stated that the bright yellow fluid was just stomach bile. "Yes, Sadie, bright yellow stomach bile".

It's Memorial Weekend here, so ALL the labs are closed! I have to bring her back in on Tuesday for the blood test. I'm so paranoid, I'm scared that she might have cancer or something equally awful, and I won't get a wink of sleep until I know what those blood tests say.
My vet says "I suspect that those tests are going to come back normal. I can't say for sure, of course, but she really seems very healthy". He thinks I need to add "sensitive stomach food" to her dog food- but all of those have meat protein in it (which she is allergic to). So he suggested adding rice and cooked eggs. He really has a hunch that Raj's sensitive belly is becoming MORE sensitive, as the horrid allergy season is exacerbating things.

I hope and pray that he is right! But what if he isn't? We really won't know until those blood tests come back. And what if her extra-sensitive stomach has been a symptom of something terrible all along?

I've been fighting tears all day, and my imagination is being VERY unkind to me. I don't know what those blood tests are going to say about my baby.

She ate tonight, and took her Tagamet, and so far no vomiting.

Me, on the other hand- I'm a mess!

Prin
May 28th, 2005, 01:47 AM
You should have asked me... :) We agreed one time that Boo and Raj were equally pukey, but I assumed you had seen bile before... Boo throws up ONLY bile. Usually. When he's sick, he waits till his stomach is empty before becoming violently ill. He throws up bile for hours and hours and sometimes DAYS, most of the time because of anxiety or because someone gave him a chicken cookie.

Some dogs throw up bile simply because their stomachs are too empty.

I wouldn't worry. Really. In my head, the worst it can be is a bacterial overgrowth from being so upset over the ice cream. Boo gets it from chicken. He gets a shot in the belly, then 8 pills a day for two or three days and then he's in top shape again... For a while. :)

LavenderRott
May 28th, 2005, 01:51 AM
Yep, stomach bile is bright yellow. My collie used to throw up bile if she got into something she shouldn't have or if we didn't feed her on schedule. Gosh, that dog had a sensative stomach.

Cactus Flower
May 28th, 2005, 01:52 AM
Is Boo's bile bright yellow, too? God, that scared me to death. Raj usually only throws up clear gooey stuff when her stomach is empty.

And speaking of which, do you really think her stomach being empty might have been the problem? She hadn't eaten anything yet today when she threw up. Dogs actually throw up because their stomach is too empty??

She free feeds, but never eats in the morning. Maybe I should try making her something to eat in the morning, so she has a little bit of food in her belly, and it isn't empty all day.

*Edited to add*- LavenderRott, you and I posted at the same time, so I didn't see your post. Ok, so dogbile is bright yellow. I can't believe I've never seen that before. I've seen lots of dog puke over the years, believe me. Just never bile, I guess.

Prin
May 28th, 2005, 01:53 AM
Probably-- she was probably a bit queasy and uneasy still and the empty stomach added to it... Surprising that she never threw up bile before on an empty stomach... Lucky you... It's pretty gross, n'est-ce pas?

Yes Boo's is canary yellow too. :) (like the smiley (LOL))

Cactus Flower
May 28th, 2005, 01:59 AM
Thanks for the info, Prin.

Yes, it was gross, but at the time it was more terrifying than anything- I immediately thought POISON! I couldn't imagine anything that bright yellow being natural.

Wow. You all must think I am very naiive.
See? No matter how much you think you know, you might have missed something very elementary in all of your research. I'd be a good example of that right now :o .

I hope those blood tests come back clear. I hope this is just a sensitive tummy, and not symptomatic of something really bad. Ack.

Prin
May 28th, 2005, 02:01 AM
Hey it all has happened to us at least once for us to learn about it, right?

How do you think I became the master ear cleaner? Don't think I didn't panic the first time my doggie dragged her hiney on the carpet either...

Jackie467
May 28th, 2005, 02:05 AM
I'm sorry that happened. The first time I saw a doggie throw up bile it was when I was a child, scared me then and scares me now lol. I sometimes throw up when my stomach is too empty, I have to make sure I eat in the morning even if I'm not hungry or i'll get sick. I'm sure it's nothing to worry about. try to take it easy until you hear from the vet.

Sneaky2006
May 28th, 2005, 02:13 AM
I'm sure she'll be fine!!
My nephew just threw up bile recently, when he gets ill from his ear infections he throws up till he's empty... then the bile! First time it happened my sister rushed him to the ER but he was fine, she was more scared than anything... didn't know what it was.
Could she have one starting? Maybe that's the reason for being more pukey than normal?

Cactus Flower
May 28th, 2005, 02:19 AM
Thanks, Jackie. Wow, you poor thing- such a sensitive stomach you have yourself!

Don't think I didn't panic the first time my doggie dragged her hiney on the carpet either...
Prin-I can't believe you got me to smile on a night when I thought nothing could. I've been stressed to bits over this puking thing. Thinking I might have been wrong to wait after the ice cream, then that I might have been misreading serious symptoms all along as being just her sensitive tummy (even if it DOES seem to trace back to a forbidden treat). GUILT. Aaaah.
And fear, too, until I get those blood test results.

I hope it IS just a touchy tummy. Hope hope hope.

I'm going offline now, but thanks so much for the info. And the chuckle.

Cactus Flower
May 28th, 2005, 02:23 AM
No, I'm not going offline just yet, since I just saw your post, Sneaky!

The vet checked her ears (they HAVE been itching lately, so I wondered, too.....) but he said that they look just fine. The allergies are just making them itch a lot, but no infection. Benadryl will take care of that. Points back to what he said about a really bad allergy season, though.

Cactus Flower
May 28th, 2005, 02:03 PM
Good morning, all.

Prin, Jackie- I've been thinking about what you said regarding having an empty stomach causing nausea. I'm going to make Raj some rice and eggs (just a small portion). Maybe also mix in some of her plain yogurt?
I guess I'll put her Tagamet in there, and Benadryl, too.

Question- Is there anything else you all know about that helps to settle an upset tummy? I can't give her the standard "boiled chicken", because of her meat protein allergy.
Someone at the restaurant mentioned cottage cheese. I've never heard of giving that to a dog. Have any of you tried it? Raj can have milk products (she loves milk and white bread), with no adverse effects.

Prin
May 28th, 2005, 04:04 PM
Heh heh... Boo eats dirt to settle his stomach and it WORKS...Weird. I just give Boo about a 1/4 cup of food with nothing else when he's coming off being sick.

I know aside from rice, apples, toast without butter, and bananas are easy for humans to digest-- I don't know about dogs though... My Auntie has an acronym for it-- BRAT- bananas, rice, apples and toast.

Otherwise, how about Pepto Bismol?

Cactus Flower
May 28th, 2005, 04:25 PM
LOL the dirt diet. Hmmm!

I don't think she needs the Pepto, since she's taking Tagamet.

Yes, I know of the "brat" diet for kids with diarrhea. That is such a funny acronym...."brat" for sick kids.

Raj ate my breakfast concoction with much enthusiasm. So far, she's holding it down. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Dog Dancer
May 28th, 2005, 05:23 PM
Hi Cactus Flower and Raj (etal). Hope Raj's tummy is doing okay today. Just reading your thread here and totally understanding. My dog
Shadow vomits when she's stressed (which is often with her separation anxiety issues), and it's usually just bile - this is because when she's stressed she stops eating so her tummy is empty. When we walk she'll try to eat grass to make herself sick so we'll drag her home most days and get her to eat something. Once she eats she doesn't need to vomit as the food absorbs the bile and she's fine. But empty tummy bile is common for her - and yellow! Relax about Raj - I'm sure he's going to be fine. We do worry too much about our fur babies sometimes (I know I'm guilty of it too). How did we end up with so many dogs with food allergies now though? I don't remember all of this from when I was a kid. Or did our parents just get rid of dogs that had too many issues??? Good luck with the test results keep us posted - now thanks to these boards we can worry about our own fur babies and other peoples fur babies too!!! :)

Jackie467
May 28th, 2005, 08:02 PM
Hope Raj is feeling better. I'm not real sure what to give a dog to help, but I eat soda crackers and that always help absorb my stomach bile so I don't get sick. In fact sometimes when I'm not very hungry I'll just eat a couple saltines and i'll be fine, but I don't know if that would be good for a dog. Funny thing is I just got done cleaning up stomach bile, my mothers dog just threw it up twice, and of course BRIGHT yellow. I'm not sure what his problem was though, but there was grass in it so he must have had an upset tummy. What's with all the pucky dogs all the sudden?

Cactus Flower
May 29th, 2005, 01:01 AM
Dog Dancer, thank you for the info and understanding. I really had no idea about the color of the bile. I feel rather foolish now. I guess that since any dog I've ever had has been free-fed, they usually always had nibbles of something in their tummy when they vomited (plus they didn't do it with this type of frequency in the first place! Chloe never has ONCE). Raj just does not eat during the day at all, even though there is food right there in her dish.
Well that's going to change, of course.
I made a huge pot of this morning's concoction, and packaged it all up in little baggies- one for each morning. I had no idea that an empty stomach could cause vomiting. I am learning so much here!

And I may feel foolish, but I also feel comforted. Thank you (all) for that.

Jackie I can't believe you had to deal with the yellow bile today! How ironic, eh?
I might try giving Raj some soda crackers. I can't see how they'd be harmful. Maybe just a few here and there during the day to make sure she always has a little something in her belly.

Yes, lots of pukey dogs! Who knew?

Prin
May 29th, 2005, 01:24 AM
I'm a bit ahead of the game though... After months of throwing up and tons of money spent when we first got Boo, I tried so hard to figure it all out. Now, three years later, I pretty well have... Somethings still pop up now and then, but mostly I know what causes his puking. It went from about 4 hours a night of straight puking, to maybe one puke every 3 months.... Whew...

Now we're getting the house on Wednesday and I am so afraid that his anxiety attacks (and mine) will start again... Imagine moving and having a constantly sick doggy? Aye yaye yaye... I actually brought them to the house a few days ago to tell them that we're moving there. I made it really clear- Boo couldn't care less, but Jemma got pretty upset. We'll see. It's so hard when the dogs have had multiple owners like Jemma has (we're the 5th). How they hey do you tell them they're with us forever? Doggies understand soon, but not forever... (sorry for the hijack.. :o )

doggy lover
May 29th, 2005, 02:17 PM
Hope your dogs feeling better? My last dog Travis had a funny tummy he would either vomit or it would come out the other end. I think I'd prefer the vomit. One time he threw up the bright yellow bile right into my husbands lap in our truck, my husband has a weak stomach too, he pulled over into a church yard and jumped out of the truck gaging and cursing. There happened to be a cop car in the church yard and they pulled over and asked if everything was OK, my husband said yeah the dog just threw up on me, they just said oh I see and left, with a smile on their faces. I always wondered if it had something to do with him getting bloat, or from the guy we got him from fed him crap as a puppy. Now Tucker has a cast iron gut the other week he ate a raw fish head, I thought it would give him the runs but it never bothered him, I think he has only vomited twice since we got him and had the runs once and one time was after we got him fixed.

Cactus Flower
May 29th, 2005, 03:07 PM
Thanks, doggylover. Yesterday was totally vomit-free, and so far so good today. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Your story had me laughing- your poor husband!

Shamrock
May 29th, 2005, 03:29 PM
Glad to hear that Raj's tummy is doing better now, best wishes to him. What an upsetting experience for you.

Cactus Flower
May 29th, 2005, 03:50 PM
Thank you, Shamrock.

Karin
May 29th, 2005, 04:00 PM
Glad to hear the hurls have halted. I was going to reply many times lately but something always came up. *no pun intended, really*

Sounds like you are doing a great job and succeeding too Cactus Flower.

Cactus Flower
May 29th, 2005, 04:23 PM
Thank you, Karin! "The hurls", lol. Never heard that one before.

I have gotten a lot of good advice on this thread. I wish I had known then that this hurly tummy was so common. I would not have freaked out so completely and let my mind go to the worst case scenario. The only threads I've read here about repeated vomiting made no mention of the bright yellow bile (yes, I still feel quite silly for not knowing about that), and were usually about dogs that had some horrible disease/condition. So those were the points of reference that my mind immediately went to. ("GET THAT DOG TO A VET ASAP!" almost passed before my eyes in text, lol).

I wish that I would have named this thread "Frequent vomiting", so that new members who are in the situation that I was could locate it easily, and find the comfort that I have found in it. People like me who had no idea that an empty tummy, for example, could cause vomiting- would find great info here.

THANK YOU, everyone, for advising and sharing your experiences with me. It has helped me tremendously.

chico2
May 29th, 2005, 04:32 PM
Cactusflower,sooo happy to hear(read)beautiful Raj is ok again,we all get paranoid at times,thinking the worst...you are not alone :D

Cactus Flower
May 29th, 2005, 04:43 PM
Thank you, Chico2.

Glad I'm not the only one! It's a tad embarrassing now.

chico2
May 29th, 2005, 05:00 PM
Oh no,don't be,you should see me digging in the litterbox checking poop,after reading about bloody poop her in the Forum :D
Or to my cats embarassment,I watch them pee,to make sure they do not have UTI :D
Or I constantly check them for strange bumps and things...no,you are definetly not alone.... :evil:

Karin
May 29th, 2005, 05:21 PM
Oh no,don't be,you should see me digging in the litterbox checking poop,after reading about bloody poop her in the Forum :D
Or to my cats embarassment,I watch them pee,to make sure they do not have UTI :D
Or I constantly check them for strange bumps and things...no,you are definetly not alone.... :evil:

GET OUT OF MY MIND!>>>please?

Fact of life...all neighbors of animal lovers know we are weird, unless a certified member themselves, they tend to react strangly to people "bending over to see what comes out"., strange occurance as it is...non-animal lovers still do not understand.

It must be aliens.......

Prin
May 29th, 2005, 06:00 PM
LOL How many threads have we had that described how the stool is or should be? Nobody here has a problem with that. :)

I still check if my dogs are breathing when they are sleeping. My old dobie and lab were old for so long, I just got used to checking if they were dead yet.

Princesss04
May 29th, 2005, 07:19 PM
Oh this is the first time I have been online this weekend and I feel awful for not being there for you! I am so sorry you had to go thorugh this. I am sure everything is fine. You are a great mommy and we all can tell that. Keep us posted sending Raja plenty of non vomiting vibes. LOL :D

Safyre
May 29th, 2005, 11:10 PM
I always think my animals are dead, i wake thme up in the middle of te night if i can't feel them breating.. then i feel better and fall back to sleep while they sit there like 'wtf mom?' Done it since getting anxiety attacks years back bleh.

Cactus Flower
May 30th, 2005, 12:29 AM
Don't you dare feel bad, Princess! And thanks for the well-wishes. I hope you didn't get to your computer this weekend because you were having a GREAT TIME.

Just when I thought that this thread couldn't make me feel any better- you all bring up the CHECK-TO-SEE-IF-THEY-ARE-STILL-BREATHING thing!!!!!!
OMG I thought I was the only person who does that (I even still do it to my son, and he's 14)- but I wouldn't have volunteered that information outright!
I'd have been afraid you'd think I was completely off the charts in paranoia.
then i feel better and fall back to sleep while they sit there like 'wtf mom?' HAAAAHAAA! I SO know that look!!!

Safyre
May 30th, 2005, 02:09 AM
I wasn't willing to bring it up in Public Forum till Prin said it first. lol

Justice is sorta used to it now ... she lifts her paw when she feels me touching her tummy in the night... like 'see, i moved my foot, i am not dead LEAVE ME ALONE'
The cats..well, they will never sleep with me again, they dislike being shaken away by some crazy mommy. lol I don't blame them.

glasslass
May 30th, 2005, 09:23 PM
Hugs to you! I haven't been on lately so I wasn't here for you either! One of the bads about this forum is that we hear about so many awful things happening to furbabies that it makes us paranoid. But, better to be informed and know what to watch for. And it's a place where there's always so much support! Hope Raj is feeling better!

Cactus Flower
May 30th, 2005, 09:31 PM
Thanks, GlassLass.

It is day THREE without vomiting! I'm excited- I think there really is something to the empty-stomach theory.

Writing4Fun
May 30th, 2005, 09:32 PM
Just when I thought that this thread couldn't make me feel any better- you all bring up the CHECK-TO-SEE-IF-THEY-ARE-STILL-BREATHING thing!!!!!!
Oh, thank God, it's not just me!!! Kids, dogs, cat, hubby - if I wake up in the middle of the night for no apparent reason, I think there must be a reason, so I go around the house and check on them all! I'm even paranoid about seizures now (after what happened to Murphy :sad: ), so now when Phoebe is dreaming, I softly call her name to see if she stops twitching! :o

Prin
May 30th, 2005, 09:53 PM
Big dogs breathe so sloooooooowwwwwwlllly and their heart beats are soooooo slooooowww too, so it takes a few seconds to figure it out. I just look though, I don't touch so they never know I'm watching... ;)

On top of that, the first time you listen to a dog's heart beat is really scary. I was like 8 when I first noticed that a dog's heart doesn't beat regularly.

thump.......................thump........thumpthum pthump........thump............................thu mp

(arg, I can't get rid of the spaces-- they just appear for nothing..)

Cactus Flower
May 30th, 2005, 10:44 PM
Ack! I know!

mafiaprincess
May 31st, 2005, 01:15 AM
:o Oh wow... I thought I was the only one who checked on my dog, or bf's breathing....

I kinda felt liek such a freak... Thank you all for sharing..

(And I'm glad Raj is better) I love danes...

Cactus Flower
May 31st, 2005, 04:11 AM
I wonder if it's just a "Mom" thing....or maybe just a woman thing?

Writing4Fun
May 31st, 2005, 07:08 AM
Definitely a "Mom" thing (whether your babies are of the skin or fur variety ;) ).

Copper'sMom
May 31st, 2005, 10:17 AM
Oh CF, I'm sorry to hear about your baby!! I'm a little behind on what's going on as I don't have a computer at home!

I'm glad Raj is feeling better!!! :grouphug: I know what it's like to have a pukey dog! Copper would throw up all the time, mostly clear, slimy fluid and on occasion bile. I always knew when he was going to do it too. He'd eat grass or I could tell by looking at him - he'd lift his head and his jowls(cheeks) would be sucked in and I knew what was coming. Alot of the time though, it would be projectile - no warning. This usually happens after he had a big drink of water, after he had a good play session.

Do you have Raj's food and water elevated off of the floor?

Cactus Flower
May 31st, 2005, 03:12 PM
Yes, Copper'sMom, both are elevated off the floor. And it's always good to hear from you :) , regardless of the timing.

Another thing I've done, besides making her something for breakfast, is only give her half of her food at a time in the evening. When she eats, I give her the the first half, then wait an hour or two and give her the rest.
I don't know if it was even necessary, but it seemed that gulping down an entire Dane-sized bowl of food every evening might be a little much at once? Then I'd hear the splooky vomiting sound early in the morning, or just a few hours later. So hopefully this is helping some. Hard to tell.

greaterdane
May 31st, 2005, 03:22 PM
lol I am late to chime in but I also check if people are breathing! Especially since my grandma passed out on the plane and her heart stopped. I check even more now! I always thought I was so weird for doing this but I guess not.

Also I am so glad Raj is ok. Addy gives her a high five!

kandy
June 2nd, 2005, 01:37 PM
I used to check my son all the time to make sure he was breathing while he was sleeping. Most of the time I could hear him from the doorway, but if I couldn't, I would immediately freak out and make my husband check him because I was too worried that he would be dead! My husband didn't not appreciate me waking him up to check the baby all the time.

I also freaked out the first time I saw a dog puke bile. I had never seen it until Lacey. She was puking and after day 2, we took her to the vet. The vet said it was a respiratory infection and gave antibiotics - she started puking again after being on the meds for about 3 days. That was when she puked the bile - she hadn't been eating either. I took her back to the vet because I had never seen dog puke that color - and I freaked out. That was when I insisted that the vet do blood tests, x-rays, everything. Turned out that she was dying of renal failure. :sad:

My vet will probably think that I've gone nuts when I tell her that I want both Parker and Hazel blood tested. I'm just so paranoid now that one of them will have some health issue that I won't catch until its too late (not that I could've done anything for Lacey, even if we had known about the kidney deformity) that I want their blood tested if for nothing else than to give a baseline for future tests.