Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Nails and cutting

raingirl
May 27th, 2005, 10:45 PM
I guess the previous owners of our dog didn't take care of his nails all that well, and his quick has grown REALLY long.

I know his nails need to be cut now, but there is barely 3 mm of "cuttable" nails before the quick starts. Luckily his nails are pink and we can see the quick.

I know that frequent cutting is supposed to help the quick receed, but is there anything else to do? We are getting them cut every 2 months, because that is how long it takes them to grow enough even to take a sliver of nail off.

I'm too deathly afraid of cutting the nails and getting the quick accidentally myself...so we have a groomer at the vets office do it for $10.

I saw some websites suggesting that the quick be cut on purpose to help it receed, but I don't agree with that.

We wanted to try dremmeling them, but I haven't found the dremmel I want yet cheap.

Also, what kind of file should be used? If I could find a good file, maybe I could file them daily instead of cutting them, and would that help the quick receed?

One more thing, does the Dew Claw always grow faster? Or is it just more noticable because it doesn't get warn down on pavement.?

Prin
May 27th, 2005, 10:49 PM
What about cutting them and making him run on cement? It'll file them down further. Maybe? :)
The dew claw might seem to grow faster either because it doesn't wear down, or very commonly it gets forgotten every second cutting...

mafiaprincess
May 27th, 2005, 11:09 PM
Not that this really helps, but to throw my 2 cents in.. I accidentally cut the quick on one of Cider's nails the other day. She squirmed at the wrong moment... and while I barly nicked it, she howled liek a banshee.. I couldn't see even anyone suggesting to do that on purpose.. After I got it clotted, she certainly didn't want me trying to cut anymore nails..

I tried dremelling once. It wasn't all it is cracked up to be. Even with a coarse disk, at the highest speed it took longer than I would have liked, and it took a bunch of sessions to get her used to the noise.

If you ever try going that route, please wear eye protection and a dust mask. No one wants to be coughing up nail dust for a week, or get a tiny piece of nail in the eye. :yuck:

Writing4Fun
May 28th, 2005, 08:38 AM
Funny how all dogs react differently to having their quick nicked. I was cutting a friend's pup's nails once. She had never had them cut before (owners were newbies to dog ownership) and so would squirm a lot when you tried to cut them. I managed to get them done, but not before cutting the quick on one nail. She didn't even notice! I stopped the bleeding, continued on with the rest of the nails, and off she went, happy as a clam. :)

I agree with running him on pavement or cement. My nephew takes their dog for runs to his friends' houses, so he's always running up and down the road. My sister doesn't cut her dog's nails half as often as I do with Phoebe, who runs primarily on our soft lawn or the padded floor of the obedience school.

raingirl
May 28th, 2005, 10:10 AM
Unfortunately, running a bulldog is like an oxymoron!! If only I could get him to scratch on the pavement and not the grass after he does his business!!

I'm still afraid of cutting the quick, so I will leave it to the professionals... The only nail I dare cut is his deformed toe, it is raised so it doesn't touch the ground and the nail us small..but it grows fast. He doesn't like it even when I cut that one, but he always chews it so I have to or he breaks it himself.

Any thoughts on a file though? I saw some sites recommending a "flat metal" file..but what rating (how course or smooth?)

KessyWessy
May 29th, 2005, 12:52 PM
I have a problem with my dog's nails, too. They are not horrendously long, but I have let the quicks get longer than they should be. I HATE cutting her nails, if I accidentally hurt her she gives me this look . Angry and pathetic. Plus they're black nails. 'Nuff said.

Anyway when I don't have the courage, or there are a few nails I just can't get right, I use a file.

It's hard to tell from the picture, but I think I have the u- shaped one.Here's the link. (http://www.hagen.com/canada/english/dogs/sub_category_psubtype.cfm?CAT=7&SUBCAT=707&PSUBCAT=70709)

You can't remove as much nail as clippers (obviously), but it works for me. To get really good file action I hold her toe and nail between my thumb and index finger, and file away.

Keep in mind my dog is yorkie/pomeranian mix, so her nails are small. On a bigger dog it would probably take a lot more filing.

raingirl
May 29th, 2005, 01:00 PM
Thanks for the info. I will look for a similar file.

I heard that long nails can actually cause cysts between the toes, and walking problems if they aren't cut....They can actually cause the toe bones to deform. That's why I am concerned.