Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Diagnosed with Hookworm &

dublinbay
May 27th, 2005, 07:25 PM
We just took in a foster dog this past week, a one and a half year old English Redtick Coonhound, and we brought him to the vets for a general checkup. It turns out he has hookworm. He's now on medication. My big concern and the girls at the vets office weren't able to answer my question, is about my 3 year old Bluetick. She just started Sentinel on Tuesday -- we got her in the fall so I don't know if she was on any kind of treatment before. Can she be at risk since we brought the Redtick home Monday afternoon?
Does the Sentinel work that fast?

The told me to wash all bedding and such, I'm just really worried because the two of them share their stuff toys.

Will she be okay while he's on his meds?

Strega
May 27th, 2005, 10:21 PM
Hookworms have a prepatent period of 15-18 days. If your dog is not yet showing signs of having hookworms chances are the Sentinel is going to work. Keep your eye out for any kind of coughing in your worm-free dog. The most common mode of infection is through the skin (generally the footpads) up to the lungs where they juveniles are coughed up and swallowed making their way to the small intestine where they mature. Of course having said that the juveniles could have been directly ingested in which case the worms will mature in more like 5-8 days. I am not too familiar with the Novartis claim on how quickly Sentinel works for intestinal parasites, but I know they always recommend 1 month for heartworm.
Hope this helps a little bit.

dublinbay
May 28th, 2005, 08:11 PM
Thanks for your help. That's makes me feel better.

dublinbay
May 28th, 2005, 08:12 PM
Thanks for your help. That makes me feel better.