Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Feeding the ducks/ geese

lilith_rizel
May 27th, 2005, 07:23 PM
Ok, I went to the library today, and checked out a few books. When I got out, I couldn't bear the thought of going back home. It was such a nice day out. So Judith and I went across the street, to Burba Lake Park, and feed the geese and ducks crackers, that have been sitting in the diaper bag all week. before I even pulled out the bag of crackers, they all started heading torward me! There was this one black duck with a white chest, and 3 or 4 geese that were too close for comfort. I was afraid that they would attack me! So we moved to another spot. This spot had this one small duck, and a big white duck that would actually take a cracker straight from my hand. It was so COOL. I have never seen wildlife that tame before. You sure could tell that alot of people come just to feed them. 90% of them won't move unless you are right next to them. I will have to get batteries for the camera soon.....

Crazy Hippie
May 29th, 2005, 11:11 AM
My boyfriend and I feed the ducks and geese at a park all the time. I love it! The geese are pretty brave, and they get right close so you think any second they'll peck you, but it doesn't bother me. They never bite me, just wait and wait for their bread to be tossed. They've bitten my fingers before when I've fed them by hand and it doesn't really hurt. You should see my b/f..he is so scared! He keeps backing up and backing up until the geese (and him) are way on the other side of the park. It's so funny, it happens every time. The only thing that scares me is swans, they are so tall and big! We went camping once where there was a park nearby with swans, and they actually were running after me as I was running away from them. And I was out of bread so I didn't know what to do! :eek:

Sneaky2006
May 29th, 2005, 11:28 AM
We're not allowed to feed the ducks or geese anymore. We could get huge fines if we're caught doing it. It really sucks though cause I love it!!

lilith_rizel
May 29th, 2005, 01:34 PM
We went to feed them again today. one duck pecked my shoe, but that was about it. This time, we even got to see little ducklings. They look so tiny next to the geese, There were all these geese around 1 little duck family. It was so cute. And surprisingly the gees were very considerate of letting the ducklings eat the bread, if it fell near them.....

Bearsmom
May 29th, 2005, 01:49 PM
I got bit in the ankle several times on Thursday while golfing. Seems I hit my ball towards where the geese hang out, and when I went to hit my next shot....heard hissing. T'was too late, chomp on ankle. Kinda smarts!

lilith_rizel
May 29th, 2005, 03:29 PM
Those geese do hiss too. There were a few that would hiss at the ducks if they got any bread that I was feeding them......

Princesss04
May 29th, 2005, 07:05 PM
How did Judith like it? I love to go to the park and the pond and feed them. They even have a quarter machine where you can get duck food and feed them that. :D

lilith_rizel
May 29th, 2005, 08:03 PM
well, this time, she was siting up in the stroller, so she could see the geese, and some of the bigger ducks. I try to keep the gees away from the stroller, because if they would come close enough, Judith would try to grab them. Does it with the cats' tails if the are within arms reach. And these thigs here are som tame, that they would get that close.

But she was smiling, so she must have had fun

Lizzie
May 30th, 2005, 08:44 AM
While this is a fun practice for humans--and seems to be fun for the ducks--it is actually really bad for us to feed them. The food we throw to them is not good for them...bread and crackers are very bad for them to eat. If you want to feed them, you should be buying duck feed.

Also, it's very terrible for them to become so immune to human fear. Some more devious kids, teens and just plain mean people may come to them one day and feed them bad things...but since the ducks have the feeling that the food is good from humans they will eat it...and perhaps die.

I'd take up duck watching instead...

db7
May 30th, 2005, 12:10 PM
Feeding wild birds is just plain wrong. While you do this for your pleasure the birds are suffering due to poor nutrition and unnatural interference with their migratory cycles. Many of these bird populations get out of hand and end up being rounded up and either relocated or killed. The birds with no fear of humans also have a much greater likelihood of becoming an easy target to hunters once they do migrate.

Also, the unnatural accumulation of guano in populated areas puts people's health at risk. Especially children.

Safyre
May 30th, 2005, 12:50 PM
I live w/ a creek behaind my house, and for years, there has been two ducks that have ducklings there . We have never seen them (the ducks) around the townhouses, till this year. They visit my front yard daily, now twice a day, to eat the bird seed off of the ground. i was actualyl outside yesterday, with Juastice (the DUCK TOLLING retreiver, haha) and the momma duck still landed and went to eat.
WE didn't have an seed left, so I grabbed some crackers from the house to throw out for her ... boy did I regret that about half an hour later. 10 + seagulls on my lawn.

nymph
May 30th, 2005, 02:23 PM
Safyre: Did Justice go after the geese? :D

I read the City's information panel that we are not suppose to feed crackers or bread crumbs to the ducks because they don't offer enough energy for long flights, corn works best.

Lizzie
May 30th, 2005, 02:33 PM
Again, a simple touch of online research will tell you that feeding the birds is wrong. Please don't do it. People do it for their own enjoyment and fail to take into consideration the harm it does.

Everyone comes on here advocating for indoor cats because they are suseptible to so many risks outdoors. Well...the opposite goes for these birds. Stay away from them...they are better off without human interference like this. Unless you see one injured or in need of medical attention, you're best to just watch from afar.

Safyre
May 30th, 2005, 02:46 PM
Nymph - Luckily, I noticed the duck fast enough and stepped on Justice's Lead (she is on a 20 foot lead when in the front yard with us)... so she couldn't go after the Duck. She did watch the duck rather intently, and I have no doubt she would have started to 'toll' These specific ducks visit daily, she watches them from the window.. this was the first outside interaction.

I understand yo are not supposed to feed ducks, I get that ... but if they are eating the bird seed from your front lawn, what do you do?

nymph
May 30th, 2005, 03:01 PM
I'd set the toller free. :evil:

Safyre
May 30th, 2005, 11:28 PM
Nymph - She chased the duck tonight.
My mom let her out to se my neighbor and her son, who Justice loves.. and the Duck came flying in ... and then flying out with Justice chasing
Mom was not pleased. I, however, was terribly amused by the stroy (I missed it, I was at work)