Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Toronto among top-ten dog-friendly cities:

Loki
May 27th, 2005, 05:19 PM
http://www.canada.com/national/nationalpost/news/toronto/story.html?id=cec05dda-c32d-4ab4-8151-652e5adbe242

T.O., Vancouver top dog-friendly cities

Broadcast News

Friday, May 27, 2005

CREDIT: The Associated Press
Dog walker and dogs.

TORONTO -- A new survey shows Toronto and Vancouver are going to the dogs -- literally.

DogFriendly-dot-com's annual list of North America's 10 most canine-friendly cities rates Vancouver in the number two spot, and Toronto at number nine.

Website co-founder Len Kain says Vancouver landed in the number two spot because many of its popular destinations welcome dogs.

But since most dogs require a lot of outdoor activity, the city lost marks for its rainy weather.

Toronto got high praise for the many upscale hotels allowing furry guests and city transit's tolerance of dogs of any size on buses and subways.

But Ontario's new dangerous dog law -- a pit bull ban that takes effect August 29th -- turned off judges.
Broadcast News 2005

babyrocky1
May 27th, 2005, 05:51 PM
Maybe a copy of that can be sent to the Ontario Tourism Board or whatever it is called. I wonder who the critic would be for tourism. It would be a juicy little tidbit to be brought up in the house and since Toronto is stilll considering all sorts of stricter bi laws for dogs in general maybe they should read this as well.

Loki
May 27th, 2005, 06:43 PM
I'm not sure. It would be great if they think tourism will suffer, though.

Part of me expects to hear a politician try to imply that the ban is why it rated high.

I'm considering sending the the company that did the list an e-mail, pointing out the danger that people with non-purebred dogs face if they visit.

Enjoy the upscale hotels - just don't leave the hotel room, if fido has short-hair and no papers.

Akeeter
May 31st, 2005, 12:53 AM
It's not just Pit Bulls, it's the several registered breeds, & the fact of any stocky short haired dog being (un)fair game to be possibly defined as a Pit Bull.

IMHO, no city in Ontario should have ranked in the top 10 at all. It's a bit like saying that Salem was friendly if you were not a witch....& could prove you were not a witch! (Just ask that 13 year old Boxer x Lab who has recently been re-incarnated as a Pit Bull, according to the City Council.) :crazy:

Schwinn
May 31st, 2005, 11:26 AM
But Ontario's new dangerous dog law -- a pit bull ban that takes effect August 29th -- turned off judges.
Broadcast News 2005

That's something, anyway.

Akeeter
June 9th, 2005, 10:26 PM
or restricted breed(s) listing on their web site. (So I guess it doesn't matter to them??) :eek:

I guess this site is just for their advertisers & those travelling with Goldens & Poodles? :evil: