Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

vaccinations in pregnant cats

hippogoddess
May 27th, 2005, 04:10 PM
I have a pregnant himalayian and she has not had her rabies shot. I wanted to get her shaved for the kittens birth, but no one will shave her without the rabies shot is it safe to give her the shot while she is pregnant? Thanks Jen

Beaglemom
May 27th, 2005, 04:25 PM
Does she have all her other shots up to date? She should have had them done before getting pregnant. I'm not sure if she can get her rabies shot now. The best thing to do is call your vet office and ask them. They would be able to tell you for sure. You don't want to risk the mother's health or the kittens health.

The vet may want to see the mommy cat anyway to make sure that all is well with the kittens. The vet will also be able to tell you how many kittens she is carrying. This is a good thing to know for the delivery.

april21h1
May 27th, 2005, 05:38 PM
i was told when honey was pregnant not to get her shots. of couse she got pregnant about a month or so before she was due. the shots could cause birth defects or premature labor. but that is just what i was told.

I would call your vet and ask their opion

BMDLuver
May 27th, 2005, 05:42 PM
My two cents worth:
Don't vaccinate her or shave her prior to the kittens being born. The stress is too great shaving and the chance of the vaccine harming the kittens is not worth it. I assume it's a planned pregnancy? I know that a dog we received had bordetella and DHPP given to her during pregnancy and the result was a pup born with spinabifida that had to be euthanised at 3 days. So I would think there are risks to cats as well. Double check with your vet as there may not be enough research on this to be safe to go forward with a Rabies vaccine.