Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Adopted dog has dysplasia

Dog Dancer
May 27th, 2005, 02:56 PM
My boss recently adopted an American Bull Dog from the local SPCA, that appears to be about a year old. They were told the dog was found stray (although it had a vet tattoo in the ear). Sweet girl, but turns out to be totally unhousetrained (which can be dealt with easily). Then on the third day they had her she started to limp. They took her to the vet for full xrays (as her history was unknown) and turns out she has dysplasia in all four legs. Now they are returning the dog to the pound - which kills me!!! It makes me so angry I could spit. I had to put my last down when her dysplasia got so severe she could no longer walk at 7 years old. I don't blame my boss for choosing not to keep such a young dog with this health issue, but apparently this was her second placement and return. How can this keep happening to the poor girl! It seems so unfair to the dog. Any opinions on this??? Why would they adopt out a dog with such serious health issues?

nymph
May 27th, 2005, 03:38 PM
Is "they" referred to SPCA?

I would think that this is a lack of responsibility on the SPCA part for:
1) not performing enough basic tests to assess the pet's overall health, and
2) not informing potential adoption family of the health issues.

I've heard a lot of negativity regarding SPCA on this board, is Humane Society any better? Which organization(s) CAN we trust these days?

Beaglemom
May 27th, 2005, 03:49 PM
I feel horrible for this young dog! Such a young dog already going through many homes. This is just so sad.

I don't believe that the SPCA and the HS take xrays of the dogs susceptible to dysplasia. They may not have enough money. It would have been nice if they had informed the potential adopters of the potential health risks of the breeds or mixes that they were interested in adopting.

I know if it were me, I would not return the dog. Many people would not agree with me, but I would want this dog to be in a loving home until its last days. I would do my best to care for it as much as I could. There are pain medications that can help with the pain. Glucosamine supplements are also helpful. I would look at all my options. Not many people would do this though because it is difficult to deal with, especially with a dog that is so young.

It would have been nice if the SPCA had gone that extra mile and done all the necessary tests for the illnesses that this breed is susceptible to. It would help in placing her with the right family.

Vas
May 27th, 2005, 04:06 PM
Poor girl! Personally I understand why they are returning the dog.The news about dysplasia was unexpected and it's been just a few days they had her. But I'm surprised that SPCA didn't know about dog's health. If they did and still adopted her out...well I have no words for that..
Is it unusual for rescues and SPCA to not have Xrays done before putting animals for adption? What are the procedures to determine whether animal is healthy or not?

Dog Dancer
May 27th, 2005, 04:22 PM
Just to clarify a bit. My boss took the dog to the vet for xrays when she started limping after three days. The SPCA did not make any mention of health issues to them when they adopted her, so I honestly cannot say if they were aware and hiding it, or simply didn't know. I would guess that xraying every dog that went in would probably be cost prohibitive to them. I also feel badly for the dog and wish my boss would keep her anyhow, but I understand. Not sure I could give her back myself though. I fear the dog could now be adopted out to someone who will keep her and not be able to afford to treat her for her pain. As I said, I went through that with my last dog and know how she suffered over the short years she had. What is fair really? What should the SPCA do with this dog now that they definitely know she has this health issue?? I hate to think about it, and will have to put it out of my mind as I will probably never know.

Vas
May 27th, 2005, 04:31 PM
Maybe the SPCA should (or are going to) provide all necessary medication and support for an adoptive familly.

SnowDancer
May 27th, 2005, 04:51 PM
I hate to sound so negative, but if the dysplasia showed up that quickly and affects all 4 legs, I have to feel that the Humane Society was aware there was a problem of some sort and should have determined its source. It sounds like it is a very severe case. I hope that the staff at the Humane Society do all that they can to make this dog feel loved - and make certain that any potential owner is fully aware of the future medical costs.

Dog Dancer
May 27th, 2005, 04:54 PM
The story has a beginning now. The DOg was found as a flea infested stray in August 2004 with a benign growth on her neck and swollen lymph nodes. The people who found her kept her when nobody claimed her and took her to the vet to have her spayed and tattooed. Unfortunately it appears she was showing aggression to their other dog and five days after having her fixed they sent her back to the vet. The vet adopted her out to another family in Sept. 2004 - and apparently they also had aggression issues with other dogs. (funny because my boss has a cat and he said the dog couldn't have cared less about the cat). The SPCA found the dog as a stray in April 2005 and she was never claimed. And now she is with my boss, but apparently not for long. She has hip and elbow dysplasia and the vet says she will suffer arthritis in her front legs within a few years (she's already limping) and her hind legs may last for 7 years. Boss's family feels she needs an older owner who won't want to run her and play with her as my boss has three kids. What a sad story for this dog. :mad: I would love to save her, unfortunately I already have two SPCA mutts (big ones) and one is very dog aggressive so we're not in the market for another - BF would kill me - nor can I afford it. Pray for this sweet girl - she needs it.

MIA
May 27th, 2005, 06:04 PM
If they do return her hopefully the SPCA will be honest with the next possible home or call a rescue to take the dog in. Shame for the dog.

maddoxies
May 27th, 2005, 06:39 PM
Why are they returning her to SPCA?? Refund?? As opposed to placing her with a rescue. A rescue will be honest about her health to potential adopters, I am afraid if she goes back to SPCA, she will be pts. The rule in Montreal is 3rd return and automatic death.

Dog Dancer
May 27th, 2005, 06:47 PM
They have already returned her to the SPCA, when they took her back they were told that they should have brought her in when she injured herself and that they would have done the xrays. My boss's wife doesn't believe that they would have though. Nor do I. I really don't think the $$ was the whole point of returning her. They paid for the xrays themselves and that's not cheap, although they did ask for a refund and were told no. I think mostly just ignorance maybe. They probably didn't really know what else to do with her. (How about just loving her and taking care of her???) I truly hope they don't put her down, and hope her life now improves.