Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Living in the boondocks sucks!!!

kandy
May 27th, 2005, 12:49 PM
Before we got Hazel, I had started doing some research on dog food based on things that I had read on this site. I had one heck of time finding any local retailers of any decent dog food, but finally found a local feed store that carried Nutro, and specifically the Nutro Large Breed Puppy formula. Great! I go to pick up food for both Hazel & Parker - and all they have is the 15lb bags. Great! I take 3. The clerk tells me that the big bags are on order. Okay. The next week, my husband tells me that the pups are eating quite a bit during the day at the shop and he'll need more food soon. Great. I go to the feed store - now they are totally out of any of the large breed puppy food. The clerk tells me its on order and should be in by the end of the week. I go back at the end of the week - they tell me that it'll be in the middle of the following week. I call this time - nope, still no order but it'll for sure be in on the 25th. So, I even wait until yesterday and then go in. They'll still don't have it - and they say that it'll be next week. I knew that I was to the point where I would need food - quickly. I said to hell with everyone else and I came back home and ordered the Solid Gold Wolfcub puppy over the internet. It's guaranteed to be here within 5 working days and they only charged me $16 shipping on 3 - 33lb bags of food! In the meantime, I had to give them something to eat - so I called the bigger feed store in the next town and found that they carried EaglePak dog food. I go over there, and they don't carry the puppy formulas at all. I went with a bag of EaglePak Holistic to get us all through until the Wolfcub comes in. I am so mad at the local feed store - I don't know if they lied and had never even ordered the dog food or if their supplier of Nutro is just incompetent or what! Since I am almost totally out of the Nutro, I can't slowly switch the food so they'll both have to get switched in one shot! And to make matters worse, they are going to have to switch again in a week! I feel so sorry for the pups, and I would have ordered the wolfcub online from the beginning if I knew I was going to have this problem! Living in the boondocks sucks! To top it off, my husband just called and said that Parker just threw up the new food - all over Hazel's back. Great!

GWPsRock
May 27th, 2005, 01:14 PM
Could you order directly from the manufacturer, maybe? Or from an online store???

OR....what about offering to pay up front for an order at your local store, that might help them get a move on it.....OR, pay half up front?

doggy lover
May 27th, 2005, 01:56 PM
Don't worry that happens here in the big city too. A tleast in the boonies when someone says they are sorry its not there they mean it here they couldn't give a crap.

kandy
May 27th, 2005, 02:17 PM
That's why I finally just ordered the Wolfcub online - if I have to order it anyway, I'll get what I want instead of what I thought I had to settle for. I think that the feed store just didn't order it when they said they did. I can't believe that the Nutro distributor could not give them a definite ship date on the products. I had heard that this store had recently changed owners, maybe that has something to do with it. The thing that really pi**es me off is that everyone here always says, oh, you need to buy local so that local business can stay in business. I whole heartedly agree with that - my husband has a retail business! But how can they expect you to shop locally when you can't get what you are looking for? I look locally for anything I want before I resort to the web - and I shop on the web alot because I can't find what I want locally. I even had to order sheets to fit my pillowtop bed online because no store locally sells any deep pocket sheets! I like the boondocks because we have really low crime (although we are quickly becoming the meth capitol of the US I think) but it definitely sucks in terms of goods and services offered!

lilith_rizel
May 27th, 2005, 04:02 PM
I grew up in the boonies..... I miss it so much. Never have to worry about leaving things i the yard, and people stealing it! I miss living where we could be as loud as we wanted, and have campfires..... :sad: