Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

After care for spayed dog?

Ellen62
May 27th, 2005, 10:40 AM
I took my female Golden Retriever to be spayed today. I'm wondering if any of you have any ideas to share that might make her recovery more comfortable for her. I have her 8 month old son living with me as well. We will be making sure that he is not rough housing with her. Any ideas would be appreciated!

Prin
May 27th, 2005, 03:06 PM
There should be no jumping off furniture (or any jumping at all...) for at least ten days, nothing more than a trot for exercise, and just be sure she's not licking the incision.

That's all I can remember right now.

Beaglemom
May 27th, 2005, 03:15 PM
In addition to what Prin said, try to keep her incision clean and dry. Check on it everyday to make sure that it is not becoming infected and that no stitches have been pulled out. If you notice that she is trying to lick at her stitches, you will need to have her wear an elizabethan collar.

Ellen62
May 27th, 2005, 08:23 PM
:) Thank you once again! I brought Brandi home tonight around 7, she was so dopey she had to be carried into the house (69 pounds of baby), she is resting and hasn't moved much (so far). Her boy (Moses) is being so gentle with her, he went over to her and of course had to sniff her, then he very gently started licking her forehead. The vet said everything went well with the surgery so I'm very happy about that! Now I just need to stop feeling so guilty for how she must be feeling right now :( She's my baby and I'm a big suck! Thank you all once again.... your knowledge is sooooo appreciated! :thumbs up

Roxy's_MA
May 30th, 2005, 06:07 PM
I just got my little Roxy spayed 2 weeks ago, she was ill from the anesthetic. I had to watch how much I feed her for the first 2 days as she was throwing up (she is not a puky pup at all). They didn't give me a cone but if I noticed her licking I was to try putting a baggy t-shirt on her, before going back for the cone.

Roxy was glued not stiched (no worry about them pulling stitches out.) She did however take the operation very hard. She acted quite tramatized, and has been mommy's little girl ever since. I had Roxy done the laser way (apparently new technology). The vet said it will heal alot faster and that there is less blood in the surgery.

coppperbelle
May 30th, 2005, 07:38 PM
Keep her as calm as possible. Chloe got a major infection afterwards. She developed a lump on her incision which grew quite large. She needed an antibiotic cream as well as oral antibiotics. The rule is that she should only go outside for a bathroom break for the first 10 days.

Chloe was a rescue and spayed two weeks after we brought her home. She was very nervous afterwards and was in constant motion jumping etc... I guess she was afraid of being abandonded again. We tried keeping her calm but it was impossible.

hockeymom
June 4th, 2005, 01:17 AM
My Elvis was just nuetered and I feel bad for him as he has had some problems with his tummy. My kids and I were not prepared with how we would deal with his surgery emotionally (we knew intellectually). I told my older kids (11,9) that they had to keep their activity to a minimum - like when they are sick they hate commotion. My youngest (3) I told her Elvis was not feeling well and we had to be easy. (she cried when we dropped him off the night before the surgery...and wanted to pick him up from the time she woke up). So, I have been keeping my youngest distracted with toys she hasn't played with in a while, "treats", and crayons. I have also kept Elvis gated within two rooms. So far so good. I hate the ecollar as he is walking into everything. Like he is not miserable enough to begin with, now he has to wear a lampshade around his sweet puppy kneck. I hope your girl is doing well.

Mockingcat
June 4th, 2005, 01:48 AM
Same thing happened with our dog Clover, Copperbelle. After a round of anti-biotics, everything turned out fine, but we had a rough night panicking on the phone with the emergency vet when we were getting watery red discharge.

levimh
June 5th, 2005, 02:01 PM
In addition to the above, don't give her a bath or get her wet (incase of infections).

Ellen62
June 10th, 2005, 07:23 PM
I haven't been on for a while so I would like to thank all of you for your suggestions. Brandi is doing great, she is healing nicely. The whole experience doesn't seem to have bothered her at all. Once again, Thank You all so much!