Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Question about dog's behaviour

honeybee4
May 27th, 2005, 09:19 AM
Some background info first. 5 kids moved next door late last fall. Harley would bark at them when they came over the house, but was always friendly with all of them and just wanted to be petted by them when they came over. I have never at least when I am home left them alone together. Harley is always by my side. However, my BF does have a habit of leaving him outside if he goes out for a bit when I am at work. I have repeatedly told him not to leave him outside.

In the past two or three weeks everytime the girl from next door, she is 6, comes over he freaks out and barks, jumps at the door, etc to try and get at her. It is not the use to be friendly bark he did before. For some reason he seems to dislike her now. When she comes over, which is every morning, I have to take Harley by the collar into the kitchen to clam him down. I can't let her in the house anymore, because of how he is acting. He does not act this way to the other kids, just her. I am wondering if maybe she has done something to him when he was left outside or when I wasn't home, my BF does leave them alone for short periods of time, which I have talked to him about too, but I just can't get it through his head that Harley shouldn't be left alone with the kids, I am sure nothing could happen, but it could. Do you think she could have done something to him and that is why he doesn't like her anymore? How can I get it through BF's head that he can't leave Harley outside when no one is home or leave him alone with the kids?

Lucky Rescue
May 27th, 2005, 09:51 AM
am wondering if maybe she has done something to him when he was left outside or when I wasn't home

I'm sure you're right. Your boyfriend is taking a big chance, risking both dog and child.

Maybe he'll understand if you ask him how he would like to have the police at the door when your dog bites this kid, have your dog seized and yourselves taken to court.

I"m sure he doesn't want to see a child scarred for life because of his negligence.

Beaglemom
May 27th, 2005, 09:58 AM
If Harley only does this to this little girl and no other kids, it could very well be that she has teased him or hurt him unintentionally. She may not have been taught how to treat a dog properly.

It is never a good idea to leave a dog and child together unsupervised. By doing this, your BF is asking for trouble. I would have a nice long discussion with him and tell him about all that could go wrong when he is left with children unsupervised. People never want to think that their well behaved and friendly dog could hurt a fly, the truth of the matter is that even the most friendly and well behaved pet can snap one minute because they have had enough and seriously injure a small child. Some children are unaware of how to treat an animal and can play rough, tease or hurt a dog. Dogs will only take so much and then can turn. My beagle loves kids, but I never leave her alone with them because she can knock them over or could bite if she decides she has had enough.

You are doing your part to make sure that Harley is not left with the children unsupervised, now your BF is going to have to do the same.

honeybee4
May 27th, 2005, 10:34 AM
I would apsolutly die if Harley was taken away. I don't think she does now how to treat animals, even though they have two dogs themselves. If Harley is chained in the yard and something happens are we still liable? God forbid that something did happen. when they moved in we told them to always use the front door incase Harley was outback, which they always do. I am going to take to BF tonight about it. Harley should be outside when no one is home regardless if the kids were next door or not. It is usually too cold or too hot for him to be along outside anyways.

SnowDancer
May 27th, 2005, 11:51 AM
I expect the girl has done something to frighten Harley. We once had a neighbour child who would taunt our Beagle through the window during the day and hit at the window occasionally with sticks. One day he did not know I was home and found our pup growling and frantic at the window. You can bet that our dog was planning his revenge and at my arrival, taking protection of me into account. By catching the boy in the act I understood our dog's change in behaviour with this kid. The boy's sister was much friendlier to the dog and always wanted to say hello. We did speak to the boy's parents but were basically told where to go. Nevertheless, speaking with the parents would never undo the harm done - our dog was never going to forget this kid and what he had done. We never let our dogs off leash or loose in the yard and were especially careful if this kid was anywhere in sight - and boy, did he try to approach. I am faster.

Lucky Rescue
May 27th, 2005, 12:17 PM
If Harley is chained in the yard and something happens are we still liable? God forbid

Yes you will be liable, especially since your b/f has a history of leaving a 6 year old child alone with a Rottweiler (who have enough of a bad rep as it is)

This kind of extreme negligence is what is getting breeds banned, not to mention children injured and killed.

Here's a recent example of a completely preventable tragedy:
http://denverpost.com/search/ci_2722876

honeybee4
May 27th, 2005, 01:20 PM
People in our city hate Harley, he is a nice dog and most likely wouldn't hurt anyone. I can't even take him for walks without hearing a comment from someone. I am going to talk to my BF tonight about the whole thing. I would never want anyone to get hurt and I have told the kids next door not to go near him if no one was around. A child was killed by 4 rotties in my home town, it was awful. He was left unsupervised and wonder to where the dogs were. Since Harley is a rottie should I have a beware of dog sign? I don't want people to think he is dangerous though and if I do put one up then people will automatically think he is mean or a guard dog, which he is not. He is a hugh baby and will great everyone, which the exception of the little girl now, with a wagging bum. The by-law here states that we only need a sign if the dog is deemed dangerous by a vet or has bitten someone before, which he hasn't. Our vet loves him.

happycats
May 27th, 2005, 01:44 PM
Have you tried putting Harley outside and "spying" to see what this girl is doing to him? (Don't do it if there is any chance of either getting hurt)
But the next time you tie him up, and those kids are home, just watch.

I do believe this child has done something to him.

Is there anyway you can get a fence? This may be your only solution, as no matter what this child does, Harley will be the one who suffers, or worse gets put down if he retaliates :sad:

Or maybe you could speak to the child, ask her if somthing happened to Harley. Do it in a non-confrontational way, do it in a pleasant way, maybe just slip the question in when you are talking about something else.

honeybee4
May 27th, 2005, 02:05 PM
I would love to get a fence and fence in my yard, but it is really expensive. She doesn't go in the back yard that i know of anyway. If something did happen between the two of them it most likely occured in the house when my BF was home. I asked him, but he didn't know of anytime.