Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

ancestors help

lilith_rizel
May 26th, 2005, 09:30 PM
Ok, I didn't know what else to title it.

I am part native american. However I don't know what tribe. My grandmother who is 1/2 N.A. had passed away when I was very young. James told me that all I needed was to find out her parent's names, and go into the 1890's censu book, thorugh various tribes, and I could find it that way. So I called my mom and asked her, turns out, My grandmother was orphaned at a young age.... I have been trying to find out what tribe I am for years. Is there any possible way I could still find out?

Crazy Hippie
May 26th, 2005, 09:43 PM
Hey I am trying to figure out the same thing as you are. My grandma is half native as well...the problem for me is that she is not honest a lot of the time with past information. Like, she told me once when I was studying the Miqmac that I was Miqmac. Years later she said Iroquois. Sometimes I'm not sure if the names she has given me are accurate either. I have been trying to put pieces of info together, on my own, for some time now. I understand how frustrating it is, believe me! Last year I started going to pow wows which are soooo much fun, and I'm always thinking I would just like to know where I belong! Anyway, I'm going to email my prof from First Nations Studies (I took a course with him this year in university) and see if he can give me some direction. I will keep you posted on what I can find out from him...maybe he has an idea what to do.

lilith_rizel
May 26th, 2005, 09:52 PM
I sure hope someone can help. It would be alot easier if someone only knew the name of her parents....

The whole reason why I haven't given up, is that I want to name one of our children a name that is meaningful in whatever tribe I am..... Thankfully James is supporting me everyway possible. I am so grateful that I have such a wonderful husband. Don't know what I would do without him.....

He did mention something about a death certificate, but would that have any information about her birth parents, or could it lead me in the right direction?

Isisgoddess
May 26th, 2005, 09:56 PM
What about adoption papers?

lilith_rizel
May 26th, 2005, 10:01 PM
I believe she was raised in an orphange....... so would something like that still work like adoption....

raingirl
May 26th, 2005, 10:14 PM
Hmm...

Do you have your grandmother's date and/or place of birth? If it was registered anywhere, then that would be the best route. If she was orphaned, it might be next to impossible unless she was brought to an orphanage and records were kept (and many are accessable online now).

I'm researching my grandparents as well, so I know it's hard. Just this week I went to my grandfather's grave, which is a family grave, and now I have a little more info as to his relatives etc. There were 4 people burried there, but other than my grandfather, I have no idea who they are!!

I would suggest doing searches online using last names etc, to see if someone has already researched your family name before. I was lucky with that. My mother's mothers (aka. maternal grandmothers) parents lines had totally been researched already. One had been done to the early 1800s, the other all the way back to the early 1700s. All I did was type in my great grandfathers names and great grandmothers names, and I got it all.

I did a search for : Emma Louise Starr who is my grandmother's mother, and I got this site (complete history of the Starr name):

http://www.familyorigins.com/users/r/o/o/Ronald-G-Rooy-jr/FAMO2-0001/d150.htm#P7197

I did a search for her husband, my grandmother's father, Gilbert Groh, and I got this site which is my grandmother's older brother's birth notice:

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~births/Gr_Gu_Surnames.htm

042079-01 (Waterloo Co) GROH, Lloyd Alexander, m, b. Aug. 5, 1901, father Gilbert Allan GROH, mill hand, mother Emma Louise STARR, infm G. A. Groh, Hespeler

He ended up going to the war and became an alcoholic after that...he never recovered from the shock of it all.

I have yet to link up the connection as to how my GGrandfather met my GGrandmother if she was born in Connecticut... and my GGrandfather was from Hespeler Ontario. My grandmother was the last of 13 children, and she was born when my GGrandmother was 56!

I did a few more searchs for "Gilbert Groh" and found this:

http://ebybook.region.waterloo.on.ca/getperson.php?personID=I11814&tree=Eby

It doesn't tell his bdate, but it does tell who his parents were, and keeps going back for a few generations. My GGfather was older than my GGrandmother though..by quite a lot, unless there was another Emma Louise Starr (I find that hard to believe, but there was a Emma Louisa Starr as well...so who knows!)

Anyway..just wanted to show what I found by just having a few names. I only knew my GGrandfather's name, my GGrandmother's name, and I happened to know her brother's name Lloyd as well, so that "sealed the deal" and I knew I was on the right track.

Writing4Fun
May 26th, 2005, 10:17 PM
The orphanage should have some records on file for her.

Good luck in your search! :thumbs up

happycats
May 26th, 2005, 10:18 PM
A co-worker of mine found his native lineage through "Metis Nation" If you can prove you have native blood, you become a Metis, and qualify for many different things. (In Canada anyway not sure about the US)

raingirl
May 26th, 2005, 10:22 PM
I would get the name of the orphanage where she was adopted from. If you can't get that, you said there is a dealth certificate? That would have some info.

THings you should get or look out for:

date of birth
place of birth
birth name
orphanage stayed at
adoptive parents
adoptive name
dealth certificate
birth certificate
marriage certificate
grave stone info (if you can visit or get the info, often it has info on it)

If you are able to get any of that, I can help you out, or at least point you in the right direction.