Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Found English Cocker Spaniel Mix

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 26th, 2005, 06:11 PM
I found an English Cocker Spaniel mix for adoption in Alberta. I know nothing about her except she is eight year old and lives in Alberta and has a friendly dipsosition. There was no email address just a phone number. I did call to inquire to see if we may be what she is looking for. All of the ecs I have seen have been in the states so far.

Also has anyone ever adopted a dog with out meeting them first is this a bad idea. Can you get enough info from the adopting agency to make an informed decision. Would it be reccomended to take the 10 hour drive to meet the dog first and then decide. As anyone her e adopted a dog without looking at them first.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 26th, 2005, 06:56 PM
Well it turns out sassy is an american cocker and she has had a stroke so one side of her face hangs. There will be more info on petfinders so I will check back.

Funnily enough my husband actually met an ECS today. The owner adopted him off of a girl that really wanted one paid lots of money too.Turns out the dog was teased alot they used to stick a doll in front of his face and the eyes would pop out when you pressed a button and the dog would get freaked...I guess they though it was funny until one day the dog tried to bite on of them and they freaked out and wanted to put the dog to sleep for being vicous :mad:
Anyways this man a neighbour or something offered to adopt the dog who is now 2.5. My husband said the dog knew 37 tricks, one if which was shake the left and right paw he actually knew the difference. Not sure what the rest were but wish I could have met him too.
:)

dogznfish
May 27th, 2005, 01:16 PM
If you and I are looking at the same 8 year old with no info on petfinder, the rescue that is listed is near my city. They are a fairly new rescue, only operation for about 4-5 years now. They started off as a senior dog rescue which evolved into a full blown rescue and are definitely no-kill. They've been getting very good exposure with the local pet stores and community groups here and I believe a great deal of support from the local SPCA's in southern alberta. They also foster older dogs that wouldn't do so well at the SPCA.

Like most rescues, they do not have a facility and all their dogs are fostered in homes. I might even know who is fostering because of her involvement with our dog club but I would have to check for sure.