Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

WhY dO PeOplE dO ThIs?

Writing4Fun
May 26th, 2005, 06:47 PM
I just saw this on another thread, and I was wondering why people do this? Switch bAck and fOrth from cApitAls to lOwer Case leTTers, I mean. Is this yet another "young" thing (am I showing my age now?) that I don't understand, like chat room abbreviations (u no wut i mean)? Is it code for something (any consiparacy theorists out there?)?

raingirl
May 26th, 2005, 06:51 PM
If I ever do it, it is because I am on a laptop and the keyboard is smaller and I just don't care if I hit shift and type a letter wrong. I dunno...other people probably do it for fun.

Prin
May 26th, 2005, 07:19 PM
Looks kinda losery to me... :) I don't do it, unless by accident, but in that case it's only one letter in the first word of a sentence. Some people just do that to be extra cool, I guess...

I don't get the effort in the posters who capitalize every first word in the whole post... A Lot Of Effort For Nothing.

Lizzie
May 26th, 2005, 07:33 PM
I would imagine that the people who do this sort of thing are very young---early teens young.

happycats
May 26th, 2005, 07:37 PM
I guess some may think it's cool http://bestsmileys.com/cool/2.gif :cool:

Cactus Flower
May 26th, 2005, 07:48 PM
Actually, it's this system (on pets.ca) that capitalizes the first letter of every word. Sometimes when you try to type a sentence in all caps, it doesn't let you- it comes out as the first letter of every word being capitalized only. It has happened to me.

As fOr tHis parTiCular trEnd......I have no idea why people do that. I only know that iT anNoyS mE.

Eleni
May 26th, 2005, 08:23 PM
I think young people do it in an attempt to stand out and be noticed.

unfortunately it fosters negative attention bleeive.

I mean how can you take someone seriously when they are typing in such a rediculous manner.

Eleni

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 26th, 2005, 08:46 PM
Actually I think its called toggle case. In word if you go to change case under format it gives you the choice to do it toggle case. Why you would want do I'm not so sure. :D

JDG
May 26th, 2005, 08:48 PM
I don't mind ThE WeIRd LeTteRs that much. . .

I h8 the ppls who shtn all their wrds n use lttrs n #s 2 discribe thangs, n use da wrong werds.

i vow nevr 2b 1 of dose ppls!

Eleni
May 26th, 2005, 08:54 PM
*twitches as she tries to read that*
its SO hard on the eyes.

Eleni

LavenderRott
May 26th, 2005, 09:01 PM
Ok, I was an English Major in college. While I can understand that not all people are good spellers, I have a hard time with the alternative caps thing, words that are made up, using letters and numbers to shorten what you are trying to write and other such things along that line.

I refuse to read posts were the OP uses no punctuation. It makes my head hurt.

JDG
May 26th, 2005, 09:07 PM
After actually learning to type correctly, I find it takes longer to use 'shorthand' and 'internet gibberish' then just to type the REAL word. . .

. . .hahaha .. . .

Anyone here live or lived in England???? . . .man I HATE TEXT MESSENGING LINGO!!!!

Eleni
May 26th, 2005, 09:22 PM
Im bad for punctuation, but I think part of it is I really dont know how to use it properly, but I do try

how bad is that!

but im willling to admit my shortcomings, hope one day ill figure it out however

Eleni

Prin
May 26th, 2005, 09:39 PM
Punctuation doesn't bug me unless it's all in one paragraph at least you Eleni leave spaces between your sentences so it's easy to tell when you begin and end I don't mind spelling mistakes either as long as they're not in the newspaper or on tv I realize that spelling is something that some people really are perfectionstic (just for you LavenderRott) about and others don't consider it important but really my biggest eye strain is no punctuation and no paragraphing to make up for it you definately (for Cactus Flower) don't write like THIS Eleni

How was that? :confused:

Writing4Fun
May 26th, 2005, 10:08 PM
Oh, Prin, that was physically painful!! :yuck:

Eleni, your punctuation isn't bad at all. My hubby is THE WORST for that! I have to leave the room when he's sending e-mail. Seriously. He has no clue, but at least he's consistent with his mistakes. :p Like, for some reason, he's adamant that there is supposed to be a space between a word and the comma or period, no matter how many times I tell him otherwise (a typical e-mail from him will read something like, "Hi , how are you today ? I am fine . "). Don't even get me started on his grammar or spelling! You'd think, after living with me and asking me how to spell things like "annoying" for 14 years, he'd pick up some better writing habits. :crazy:

Safyre
May 27th, 2005, 12:31 AM
Writing4Fun - That drives me nuts with the spaces. And yes, Prin, that paragraph was horrible to read.

I only know of 16 year olds, or younger, that do that toggle case. Or the all caps writing. I have no idea why they do it, but it certainly tells off their age.

I myself, shorten or miss spell some words all the time. probly (probably) and cuz (cause) are the worst ones for me

LavenderRott
May 27th, 2005, 12:35 AM
I belong to a military wive's forum. Don't get me wrong - it is a great bunch of girls - but when you see posts like "whelps - got a call from the sandbox today" it kind of makes you nuts!

I mean let's get real - did your dog have pups (whelp) or well - did your phone ring?

And thanks for the paragraph, Prin.

Prin
May 27th, 2005, 01:17 AM
Didja notice I also made up a word for you too? :D

LavenderRott
May 27th, 2005, 01:27 AM
I did! You are the bomb!

Cactus Flower
May 27th, 2005, 02:25 AM
I definAtely agree, Prin :D .

Schwinn
May 27th, 2005, 10:46 AM
I believe it is part of the trend called Leet Speak, which is short Elite Speak. You substitute numbers and wierd spellings for letters usuaully, and the alternative case is part of it too. When I started using bulletin boards, it was called Dude Speak, spelled D00d speak (back when all zeroes had the slash through them). I hated it then, and I hate it now. Of course, now I am in my early 30's, I'm supposed to. Usually anyone over 14 who does it is, well...if you can't say anything nice.

Anyway, 'Lite speak, for example, is l337 sp3@k. You can find a "translator" here--

http://ssshotaru.homestead.com/files/aolertranslator.html
This is kind of an "old" version, as it has evolved (or, in my opinion, devolved).
Other things they do, are things where the becomes teh (the way it is often misspelled), short forms ex OMG is oh my god, but I think most of us new that one, but then when you add the exclamation marks, you have to throw in a few ones as well, as in OMG!!1111!!1! The latest permution of that is actually spelling one, as in OMG!!11!!11oneone (I'm sure the next one will be adding the word eleven). Sometimes, it will revert back to d00d speak, where instead of M or m, you have /\/\, instead of W or w, you have \/\/.

It is quite annoying, but I find I can actually read it. Sometimes they do it so those who aren't, uh, "cool" can't understand. Now that I've broken thier little code, I can rest assure them, they don't need to hide what they're saying. I'm rarely interested.

Hmmm...l337 spe@k, SpongeBob...Schwinn--thinking like a 14 year old since 1985! (I think I'll make that my slogan)

Copper'sMom
May 27th, 2005, 10:56 AM
It sort of reminds me of gRaFfItI!! But ya, I think it's the young teens that do it most!

JDG
May 27th, 2005, 10:58 AM
Ahh Schwinn!

Too funny! That drives me NUTS!

Reminds me of grade 7 math class, when you got to use a calculator for the first time and you had to make words, by turning the numbers up side down. . .

'55378008' thats all I'll say!

Prin
May 27th, 2005, 10:59 AM
We did that too, but we were nicer:713705 (French word)

JDG
May 27th, 2005, 11:07 AM
Prin, that IS much nicer than mine. . .hahaha. . .Actually that one is the only one I remember. . . dirty kids!

nymph
May 27th, 2005, 12:11 PM
Hey Writing4Fun: I think you are definitely showing your age here. :D

I learned quite a few lingo here as well like ROFL, geez I feel old.

kandy
May 27th, 2005, 01:05 PM
I also hate when someone uses all caps in an email. To me, that is like yelling all the time! I saw something on TV recently about the leet speak thing - and it seemed to me that you would spend more time trying to figure out how to write what you want rather than just doing it the old fashioned way and actually spell out the stupid words! When I first started reading the threads here, it took me a while to figure out what some of the abbreviations were - most of the time I figured out by the context of the sentence but not always! I guess that's really showing my age - didn't even know chat room speak! :p I did know a couple, like LOL or OMG but some I would sit here and just stare at the letters, trying to will them to tell me what word they stood for!

Luvmypit
May 27th, 2005, 01:52 PM
What does IMHO mean.. or something like it.. I cant figure it out ,..

ROFL... is that roll on floor laughing??

I find I always put dot dot dot when switching over to another sentence rather then one nicely placed period... See...I cant help it

JDG
May 27th, 2005, 02:04 PM
IMHO - in my humble opinion. . .

JDG
May 27th, 2005, 02:07 PM
Luvmypit. . . check out

http://www.netlingo.com/

Its a dictionary of all those shortforms. . . .

kandy
May 27th, 2005, 02:08 PM
IMHO is In my honest opinion
ROFL is rolling on floor laughing
LMAO is laughing my a** off

What really got me is the BIL, DH and those. I think that I have figured out the ones with "IL" are in laws (brother in law, sister in law, etc) and I think the DH means dear hubby although I don't always think of my hubby as dear. :evil:

Writing4Fun
May 27th, 2005, 02:13 PM
Hey Writing4Fun: I think you are definitely showing your age here. :D

I learned quite a few lingo here as well like ROFL, geez I feel old.
Gee, thanks Nymph. :p Now, excuse me while I adjust my bi-focals and apply my arthritis ointment so I can type a little more easily. ;)

Yeah, those abbreviations can be fun to figure out, huh? I learned all about them on this board (I remember posting to ask what ROTFLMAO meant :o ). I thought IMHO meant "in my humble opinion".

Schwinn, that was very enlightening, and at the same time made absolutely no sense to me. I can't understand why anyone would put that much effort into making up their own language, and at the same time complain about having to take an English test at school. If this thread has done nothing else, it has at least confirmed that I am, in fact, slowly morphing into my mother. ("It's 11:00 at night! If they don't turn that darn music down, I'm going to call the police!" "What the heck is that thing sticking out of your lip?! If I was your mother, I'd run a chain through it and use it to cuff you to your bed!")

nymph
May 27th, 2005, 02:19 PM
"I can't understand why anyone would put that much effort into making up their own language, and at the same time complain about having to take an English test at school."

Remember how you used to kill your energy at 16? That's why. ;)

Oh God, I keep telling myself that I do not want to turn into my mom, but I do. Now that I know that my mom was actually pretty cool compared to me.

kandy
May 27th, 2005, 02:25 PM
I thought IMHO meant "in my humble opinion".

If this thread has done nothing else, it has at least confirmed that I am, in fact, slowly morphing into my mother. ("It's 11:00 at night! If they don't turn that darn music down, I'm going to call the police!" "What the heck is that thing sticking out of your lip?! If I was your mother, I'd run a chain through it and use it to cuff you to your bed!")

You're probably right about the IMHO - but I was close! :D I had to laugh about morphing into mom - I feel the same way! At a recent family gathering - one of hubby's cousins let their 13 year old daughter show up in those jeans that have a 1/2 inch of zipper - with a rhinestone thong showing on either hip. I would never let my kid leave the house with that on and especially not a 13 year old!!! Of course, as parents, I understand that you have to pick your battles - but I am so glad that my kid is grown up now and I don't have to contend that kind of stuff anymore! :)

Writing4Fun
May 27th, 2005, 03:12 PM
Remember how you used to kill your energy at 16? That's why. ;)
LMAO! No, I can honestly say that I don't remember what I did when I was 16. :D But, somehow, I don't think it came anywhere near what today's teens are doing...

Writing4Fun
May 27th, 2005, 03:17 PM
You're probably right about the IMHO - but I was close! :D I had to laugh about morphing into mom - I feel the same way! At a recent family gathering - one of hubby's cousins let their 13 year old daughter show up in those jeans that have a 1/2 inch of zipper - with a rhinestone thong showing on either hip. I would never let my kid leave the house with that on and especially not a 13 year old!!! Of course, as parents, I understand that you have to pick your battles - but I am so glad that my kid is grown up now and I don't have to contend that kind of stuff anymore! :)
Oh, don't I know it! I thank the Lord every day for giving me boys so I don't have to worry about their wardrobe quite as much! My nephew has been pestering my sister for a lip ring for two years now. She said he'd have to get (and maintain) a 75 average first, figuring there's no way in heck he's going to get it. Well, last term, he brought home a 76. Personally, I would have set the bar way higher - like a 90 average at least! Hubby and his co-workers were at the local coffee shop when a group of "young" girls came in. One of them was doing the "peek-a-thong" thing. The other guys were all nudging each other and nodding, smiling appreciatively. Hubby turned to one of the guys and said, "Isn't your daughter about that age?" That shut them up PDQ! Talk about hitting a guy where it hurts! :D

nymph
May 27th, 2005, 03:25 PM
But, somehow, I don't think it came anywhere near what today's teens are doing...

That's what my mom used to always tell me! PDQ, I've learned another one! hahahahaha~~~~

Prin
May 27th, 2005, 03:52 PM
ISIBTTITOLRTSTTDDOHS ETC,R?

I suppose it's better that they invent their own language rather than spend their time doing drugs or having sex etc, right?
:)

Writing4Fun
May 27th, 2005, 04:12 PM
ISIBTTITOLRTSTTDDOHS ETC,R?

I suppose it's better that they invent their own language rather than spend their time doing drugs or having sex etc, right?
LOL! Before I read your second sentence, I spent about 10 minutes trying to figure out what the heck that first line was supposed to mean! :crazy:

And, you're right. As long as it's "rather than" and not "while they"... ;)

Nymph - *groan!!* I know my youth is officially over when the young 'uns in my company say things like, "You remind me of my mom." :sad:

nymph
May 27th, 2005, 04:22 PM
Ouch! Between hubby and I, we call this the "M" word, and is strictly forbidden in our family converstion. LOL

Just kidding...I just laugh at such comment, never want to go back being a teenager again that's for sure.

Daisy's Owner
May 27th, 2005, 04:39 PM
'55378008' thats all I'll say!

LOL!!! HA HA! That's a calculator joke we used to do in elementary school. Something about Dolly Parton and going to a Plastic Surgeon. You do all these different calculations while telling the joke and the final answer is 55378008.

And no. After 30 some odd years, I don't remember it. Some days I wish I did.

Schwinn
May 27th, 2005, 05:11 PM

As I sit here and think of my child arriving in three weeks, thank you for that thought. I shall now go home and sit in the nursery and shudder.

melanie
May 27th, 2005, 06:26 PM
for me its because i cant be bothered typing properly or fixing typos. my fingers fly all over and if i hit the cap lock key or shift i dont care. same for spelling, and i find often i type to fast and things come out wrong, like jsut, always doing it and never caring.

as far as correct spelling goes, as long as you know what imean i dont care and what does it matter, its spelling for gods sake. its like latin (lots of latin in botany) it really gets my goat the we still spell botanical words the latin why when they have no real meaning to a person of my age or similar generation, as far as im concerned, smithi is jsut as good as smithii, or persoonia, to personia, jsut really s@#$s me up the wall, i dont want to know latin, its not that helpful in botany really so why shoudl it apply. and its a waste of my time in the field, spelling things with added letters, stupid i say.

lets jsut drop all the correct spelling, typing, latin and all that crap, i get what your meaning so isnt that what counts. :D :p

Safyre
May 27th, 2005, 10:01 PM
I'm not that old myself (young twenties) and I get annoyed when people wear "those jeans that have a 1/2 inch of zipper" Even worse when they wear things like that to WORK and think it is appropriate.

twinmommy
May 27th, 2005, 10:13 PM
Wasn't 55378008 actually the punchline of the joke?? The botched Plastic surgery of Dolly Parton...yadda yadda(don't remember the entire joke ;) ) just remember that in the end you turned the calculator UPSIDEDOWN---

and read "BOOBLESS" out of the #55378008 :D

oh yeah, I did great in school......yesiree :rolleyes:

Prin
May 27th, 2005, 11:59 PM
Poor sweat shop workers who have to sew such tiny zippers for under-dressed spoiled teenagers... How far will it go? Anybody see the stupid Paris "hamburger commercial"? What a great role model... I wonder what'll happen in 30 years... Who will be the parents of the next generation? But I suppose every generation says that about the next right?

(To be honest, before this thread, I didn't know what ROFL meant... I knew the L was laughing... I'm just not hip enough... :) )

melanie
May 28th, 2005, 01:05 AM
any paeleoanthropologists or historians out there??

i wonder if this txt language and new type of speach are used for the current gen and the next gen, does it then become a language, or is that third gen??
( ie. if a language/dialect is spoken in what is often considered pidgeon or bast#rdisation by one generation, and then the next generation continue to use it as first tounge then i think it becomes an official language- or maybe it takes a third gens use but its one of them anyways).

point being the interest in the development of new language and txt. ohhhh fascinating, where sitting here watching society slowly evolve, well to me thats pretty darn cool anyway :D :D

oh and jsut to bug all and sundry, i hate punctuation in email and most thigns, yes its great to end a sentance, but who cares about it in between, especially in email, its too much hassle having to reach for the shift key on every third stroke*sighs* :D :p

JDG
May 28th, 2005, 09:26 AM
Anybody see the stupid Paris "hamburger commercial"?

I've seen it a bunch of times on the news, maybe 10 times. I still can't figure out what chain of burgers its for!

Cactus Flower
May 28th, 2005, 01:48 PM
LOL!!! HA HA! That's a calculator joke we used to do in elementary school. Something about Dolly Parton and going to a Plastic Surgeon. You do all these different calculations while telling the joke and the final answer is 55378008.

Even now in my 30's, I do not forget numbers. I remember every phone number I ever had, every locker combination.........and the formula to the Dolly Parton joke.

6922251 x 8 = BOOBLESS!

Schwinn
May 29th, 2005, 12:09 AM
as far as correct spelling goes, as long as you know what imean i dont care and what does it matter, its spelling for gods sake. its like latin (lots of latin in botany) it really gets my goat the we still spell botanical words the latin why when they have no real meaning to a person of my age or similar generation, as far as im concerned, smithi is jsut as good as smithii, or persoonia, to personia, jsut really s@#$s me up the wall, i dont want to know latin, its not that helpful in botany really so why shoudl it apply. and its a waste of my time in the field, spelling things with added letters, stupid i say.

What're you talking about? ;)

iRONKNiGHT
May 29th, 2005, 04:31 AM
I don't mind ThE WeIRd LeTteRs that much. . .

I h8 the ppls who shtn all their wrds n use lttrs n #s 2 discribe thangs, n use da wrong werds.

i vow nevr 2b 1 of dose ppls!

LOL gotta love your reply!!

Terrie
May 29th, 2005, 06:51 AM
As far as I'm concerned, this new computer language:
HB,ROFLMAO, TTFN etc... is another form of shorthand in the 21st century.
But there are some that I do have to ask questions on, and i've been on the computer for over 8 years.
KOTC, CUL, and most of all HAGD! translated in English
Kiss on the cheek, see you later and Have a great DAY ! :thumbs up

Terrie
May 29th, 2005, 08:01 AM
P.s.
SoMeTimEs If you try to create a NicName in a site and it's already used. TOgGle LetTers differentiate the name.
AS FOR TYPING IN CAPITALS.. if you are computer savy, it means you are yelling. Recently our office received an e-mail from Da Boss asking us not to type everything in CAPITALS because it's considered YELLING!
To which I replied " WHAT ?"
It's hard to keep this st8 at times

melanie
May 29th, 2005, 05:42 PM
yeah schwinn, i was just having a little frustrated vent, i work with alot of latin and i think its just plain stupid and in fact a very stupid and often non descript language, spelling correctly is also really stupid, as long as the reader gets it what do i care??

i tend to enter heaps of arguments with the old school botanists who think it is jsut appaling the way i use/abuse latin, for instance many plant species have stupid double letters and really dumb ways of spelling, i say drop the extras and lets move into the new world. horahhh :p

but i exquate my use of latin with the use of capitals for expression, the loss of punctuation and txt talk, its the mod world. ahhhh now isnt that all better, i certainly know i love venting about this crap (still gotta get a life sheesh). :queen:

terrie your definatly right, when i recieve email in all capitals i assume its an angry or frustrated letter.

Writing4Fun
May 29th, 2005, 06:09 PM
Hey, Cactus Flower - so that's the punchline, but do you remember the whole joke? Although I think it will be lost on today's generation. I can see them all now, sitting in detention - kinda hard to pull off turning your laptop upside-down without the professor noticing. :p

Writing4Fun
May 29th, 2005, 06:23 PM
point being the interest in the development of new language and txt. ohhhh fascinating, where sitting here watching society slowly evolve, well to me thats pretty darn cool anyway :D :D
I'm a writer at heart, Mel, so we'll probably never see eye to eye on this one. ;) Suffice to say that, if we continue with the current trend and it does become acceptable use of the English language some time in the future, I'd be very concerned that a few more generations of that type of "evolution" would have us reverting to grunting, pointing and hitting each other over the head with clubs. :p

melanie
May 29th, 2005, 06:37 PM
W4F, you poor bugger, this must kill you :D
how many word do we use today that were generated in our parents generation?? i know that the terms man and cool have become simply part of the language and wernt used in their current context (can be used to express a wide range of feelings- oh man that was jsut so uncool)these days children often use such words at a young age, its really cute to see a disapointed 3yr old say 'oh man' when it does not work. and to us its perfectly normal and acceptable, they speak like we do. language must evolve, and is the death of the true english languge a real problem, ther are many languages out there used by far more ppl than the number of english speakers, a bit of a minority on the scale ofthings (jsut stiring honey :p ).

and as far as grunting and pointing, you obviously have never seen two aussie men at the pub, neanderthals at their best :D :D lol

but as an aussie i have pretty poor expression ect (deliberatly i reckon, makes me feel all patriotic :D ), i caught my self the otherday saying this 'nahhedidndoit' (translates to no he did not do it)which i realised was accepted by the ppl i was talking to without a secound thought. and thats australia with a y, said aust-ray-ya. :p :D

Writing4Fun
May 29th, 2005, 08:20 PM
LOL! Stir away, Mel darlin'! :D I have no issue with the use of a few new words or abbreviations - heaven knows I use them enough myself. It's more the fact that chat room lingo was developed specifically for ease of use in chatrooms, yet is now being used in the mainstream on a daily basis as a replacement for the common language instead of simply as an embellishment. Sorry, I'm just prematurely mourning the loss of the language I know and love. :(

As for my original post about the tOgglE cAps - that's just plain hard on the eyes (which, apparently, ain't gettin' any younger! :p ). Although I am glad to hear it's not part of a code in some great conspiracy to replace anyone over the age of 30 with androids, or something to that effect. :D

Aussie men in pubs are neanderthals? You mean to tell me they're not all Mel Gibson and David Wenham?? :eek:

Cactus Flower
May 29th, 2005, 08:56 PM
Writing4Fun, the Dolly joke had to do with her taking a prescription to reduce the size of her boobs, and the numbers were the dosage for eight days.
There were a few variations on the theme.

I'm with you on the love of the language, spelling, grammar, etc.

Mel, I'll take a good Aussie neanderthal man over a metrosexual any day ;)

melanie
May 29th, 2005, 09:03 PM
cactus i totally agree, give me the mountain man any day over the metro, i find nothing appealing about a man in three quater pants and a skin tight sparkly tshirt that likes to pay $6 for a beer. - give me a neanderthal in his riding cloths mustering stock anyday who will never pay more than $4 for a beer :D :p :crazy: .

W4F mel gibson, ewwwww crusty :yuck: :yuck: blahhhhh.

Prin
May 29th, 2005, 09:21 PM
But the thing is, you can't invent something new unless you master the original, no? Most of the "new" variations are developed out of laziness. What takes longer to concoct: a sentence describing how you feel about a joke, or typing LOL?

You don't see people finding the cure for cancer without having done all the research and being up to date first, right?