Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

research

lilith_rizel
May 26th, 2005, 05:03 PM
What kind of stuff do you guys find fun to research on the web? I want to start doing this kind of stuff, but to tell you the truth, I don't really know what I would be interested in researching. Any suggestions.

JDG
May 26th, 2005, 05:09 PM
I researched lots about cats before we adopted Marty and Minou - that is OF COURSE how I found pets.ca!! :love: :crazy: ;) :)

My current research is photography and Real Estate. . .

I have a laptop and a wireless network at our place, so the computer is always going when we watch tv. . . we quite often 'google' things when something interesting pops up on tv. . .

as for things to look up:
-Crafts
-Gardening
-Real Estate
-Trips/places to visit
-Local tourist places
-DVD/Movies/TV shows

Schwinn
May 26th, 2005, 05:10 PM
I get bored and look for stuff that shouldn't be there. I won't get into the stuff I've found, but I will tell you to be careful, because there are certain triggers that policing agencies look for. That's why there are certain things I won't surf. It isn't the content I'm looking for, it's just the hunt. And there has been one or two times I've come across truly disturbing items, and forwarded it to the authorities...but I digress...

lilith_rizel
May 26th, 2005, 05:17 PM
I was just talking to one of my friends from highschool. And between him and I we came up with a plan. I am going to be talking to James tonight.

You see, I'm really not all that educated. BARELY graduated highschool. And James has always said that I should try to educate myself on history and such, so I can help Judith if she needs it when she is older. So what the plan is, James gets to pick a topic weekly, of anything he wants, and I have to research it, and write a report, and send it to him. Now not only will I be learning, he can learn some too.

What do you guys think of this. He often researches things, but now with him having to take classes from 5 am to 7 pm 6 days a week, he probably won't have the time to do much of that. So we would basically be helping each other.

raingirl
May 26th, 2005, 05:59 PM
I research EVERYTHING on the net. If I want to know something...I turn there.

You should consider learning basic HTML and setting up a free basic web page (like at Geocities or Angelfire). It's really easy..just a bunch of codes.

I think the internet is why I know so darn much. I love searching google images.

I typed in "funny street signs" and you get hours of fun.

You can find ANYTHING on the internet. Google is the best. Just type in your keyword and BAM..there you go. Make sure you use quotes " " around terms you want together like... "United States" because that way you will only get websites that have "united states" andnot web pages that have "united" and "States" separated. If you get a bunch of hits with things you don't want, put a minus sign - in front of the word you don't want. If I wanted to search for CN railway info, but not have anything with CN tower come up, I might search for:

CN -tower

Just some tips.

melanie
May 26th, 2005, 06:03 PM
absolutly fantastic idea, did yo uknow you can do corrospondence courses online, my university even offers courses, i taught one in special interest tourism to a large group, i just conducted the tutorials online, it happens at alot of unis/educational institutes these days, so perhpas start practicing research and writing and then cruise around and look at a fe w course you could do (of course only very part time due to bubs) but it would still be great and give you certificates etc, remember this saying

'to educate a man is to educate an individual, to educate a woman is to educate a family'' go on, you owe it to yourself and it would go so far to helping your family (not to mention building up your skills while the kids are little, then you may have a career one day) :thumbs up

yay for woman getting educated, yay for you, good thinkin 99 :D

Writing4Fun
May 26th, 2005, 06:21 PM
Lilith, that is wonderful! Good for you! I think taking classes on-line would be a great idea, too. I really love that quote, Mel! :thumbs up

I love researching anything on the 'net! I've found out a lot about my family history (ok, this dates back to the Roman era, so it's not like I'm researching my ancestors, just the history behind the name). I've also been finding lots of info about running & marketing a home-based biz, finding plans for home-made agility equipment, spending A LOT of time on E-Bay :eek:, anything that catches my interest that particular day, really. ;)

JDG, our whole house is wired, so my laptop is always running as well. :D I'm very scared of wireless networks ever since they arrested that guy sitting naked from the waste down in his car in front of someone's house, stealing their internet connection so he could download "naughty things". :yuck: But, yeah, I'll use it to quickly check out things I see on TV. Hey, even Dora the Explorer teaches me something new once in a while (it's thanks to her that I learned all about fresh-water dolphins!).

lilith_rizel
May 26th, 2005, 06:34 PM
Wrinting4fun....

I wouldn't be taking classes. Can't afford that right now. I was just going to do my own teaching. But maybe later on, once Judith and the new baby get older....

lilith_rizel
May 26th, 2005, 09:01 PM
Well, I sarted a list of somethings that could take alot of researching.

religions- would be kinda nice to know about what religion believes what, just incase I meet up with some one who doesn't believe in the same thing I do. Atleast I will not look like a complete idiot, and will be able to have conversation over it.....

Egypt- just a place that kinda facinates me

Blackholes- I would love to know what they really are, and what they are caused by.

Telephones- how the noise travels through a wire?? I never could figure that one out.

So that is 4 things that I thought of. I want to be able to go into deep studying. I know it is a thing I need to do. Ever since James and I got married ( Dec. after we graduated HS) I wish that I would have done better in school. He always tries to explain things to me, and I just don't understand. I don't even get algebra!!! And I know NOTHING about history! In my honest opinion, I have no idea how I managed to pass school, and think that maybe I shouldn't have..... So I think the best thing for me to do is educate myself. And even though I can't afford school, I know that James will help me.... and support my decision to try to teach myself. And when he gets back home, he will probably teach me as well.... He did always say that atleast I am interested in things. I am always appologizing to him, when I ask him to explain to me, what he just said, or what something means. This mainly occurs when he is talking Military talk, or about his religion. Yep, that's right, he isn't christian, but has accepted Christ as his savior (optional in Wiccan religion) I think that is the main reason why I want to studdy religions....

JDG
May 26th, 2005, 09:10 PM
Writing4Fun,
is your home network 'locked' We have our network closed and you need an access code to log on.

PM me if you need info on how to set it up. Its not 100% but only the best hackers can get through it. . . .

Joey

happycats
May 26th, 2005, 10:26 PM
You mentioned in another thread, you wanted to find your native roots, So why don't you research that? :)

Schwinn
May 27th, 2005, 11:03 AM
Another thing we used to do when we were bored was we'd pick three words, and see what came up in google. You'd be surprised what comes up (especially if you have safe-search turned off :eek: )

I started researching religion on the net. Very, very interesting. Sometimes I like to go to the extremist sites as well. I find it interesting hearing the views of those I don't agree with. Plus, it's easier to argue if you know where the opposite side is coming from.

kandy
May 27th, 2005, 01:41 PM
I research and look for different things all the time. If someone tells me something, I will go to the net to find out more (or especially if I'm not quite sure I belive them). Not to say that everything you read on the net is the truth! In fact, some things are down right stupid! I think the funniest thing I've seen is a web site that says my state doesn't exist. This guy says that Wyoming is a hole in the ground where this gnome lives, and if you drive into Wyoming, you will fall in the hole where the gnome will hypnotize you so you will continue to believe that Wyoming is more than a hole in the ground. Some of his reasoning, and the responses he's had, are pretty funny to read!

doggy lover
May 27th, 2005, 01:52 PM
Lately I have searched things like building homes, building log homes, dog stuff of course, gardening, books and dvd's for sale at amazon.I love the internet I have always wondered how things worked or hear something and wonder what that would be like so now with my computer I can travel the world and learn new things too.

Cactus Flower
May 27th, 2005, 01:58 PM
Lilith, your desire to learn is WONDERFUL. People who think they "know it all" will learn nothing. I love a person that is not afraid to say "I don't know", and adore someone who doesn't know, but is driven to find the answers! Good for you, girl!!!!

That said, please don't measure your intelligence by your level of schooling. I know plenty of people that didn't graduate high school that I consider BRILLIANT. The School Of Life gives us the greatest lessons. And with an inquisitive mind like yours, I'm sure that if you could be graded, you'd be on the honor roll.

When you are researching on the internet, try to stick to web addresses that end in ".org" or ".edu", etc. Anything that ends in ".com" is just a personal website, and the information they provide may or may not be accurate. People can post whatever they want, or whatever they want people to believe, on the internet. Some people take anything they read as the truth (not that you will), and are misinformed by such sites.

Most of the Universities have public online databases (often connected to their own libraries), where you can find tons of accurate information about most anything you'd like to research. They even have E-books that can be read page by page.

Good luck with your studies, and I hope you find much brain candy to enjoy!

*Edited to add*: I just remembered! There are places online where you can read travel journals by people who are visiting Egypt! They post the pictures they've taken, and give you a day by day account of their adventures! I have really enjoyed them. Some are HILARIOUS, the mishaps they've gone through. But fascinating! Do a Google search, and I'm sure you'll find plenty.