Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Odd rash on yellow lab

NickMali
May 26th, 2005, 02:22 PM
Hi everyone,

My dog, Rocky, has developed a rash on his genitals. There is red discoloration and white bumps in the areas around his scrotum and penis. My wife called the vet and is having him brought in today because his eating habits have changed as well. He's missed a few meals this week and seems depressed... Does anyone here know anything about this type of rash. I'm really concerned and troubled by all this.

Thanks for the help,

Nick

NickMali
May 26th, 2005, 04:22 PM
Wife is still waiting at the vets office... 2 hours now. I got to wonder how she does it. Has my 2 1/2 yr old daughter with her too...

Rocky marked in the vets office :rolleyes: Can't be too :sick:

raingirl
May 26th, 2005, 04:32 PM
I've never heard of anything like it. Maybe it's a heat rash?? Could it be a food allergy? How fast did it show up? Maybe he got into some poison oak or poison ivy?

NickMali
May 26th, 2005, 04:50 PM
Hi,
My wife didn't see the bumps untill today. She was giving him a bath when she noticed and immediately called. The redness came at the begining of this week... He's always had sensitive skin so it could be nothing.
I have recently tried different food, a salmon based mixture from purina. He used to eat natures recipe venison based formula but the quality started to go down hill and the price went up. Might be switching back after this... :sad:
I should know in about 30 minutes what it is... My wife is a trooper. I'm at work and couldn't make it down to the vets office...

Nick

Dog Dancer
May 26th, 2005, 06:30 PM
Hey Nick, Good on your wife for toughing it out with the baby and the dog! :thumbs up Sounds like a food allergy but I'm sure the vet will have an idea. He may give you advice on a good food too, I'm not too fond of Purina brands - my first vet would have liked to have them put out of business, but that was years ago and they may have improved since then, but I stay away from them. It appears now that food allergies are sooooo common I'm amazed by it. I have a lab with allergies that drive me crazy. Good luck, keep us posted! Good boy marking the vets office :evil: You know what they do there....

NickMali
May 26th, 2005, 09:01 PM
OK,

Diagnosis: skin allergy typical to alot of dogs... I guess you just never know. My wife called the vet before taking Rocky in and they told her he needed to be checked for a more serious condition that has similar symptoms. So if you are reading this and your dog has similar problems... go see a vet!

He gave us a med and a topical itch cream, both by perscription... Total cost $40

I knew my two second diagnosis was wrong: My first thought(being a guy) was "lack of a female". Why else would they be red. :o Good thing I don't always say what comes to mind... :D

NickMali
May 26th, 2005, 09:19 PM
Hey Nick, Good on your wife for toughing it out with the baby and the dog! :thumbs up Sounds like a food allergy but I'm sure the vet will have an idea. He may give you advice on a good food too, I'm not too fond of Purina brands - my first vet would have liked to have them put out of business, but that was years ago and they may have improved since then, but I stay away from them. It appears now that food allergies are sooooo common I'm amazed by it. I have a lab with allergies that drive me crazy. Good luck, keep us posted! Good boy marking the vets office :evil: You know what they do there....

Well i did notice a quality difference between the two brands. Purina was less crumbs more solid peices. The natures recipe came like bread crumbs sometimes :yuck:
Does anyone know of any other sensitive skin formulas for dogs?

Lucky Rescue
May 26th, 2005, 09:23 PM
Purina is full of corn, which makes a cheap filler, hence the low price. Unfortunately, dogs cannot digest corn and many develop allergies to it.

I would try a better quality food.

losinsusan
May 26th, 2005, 09:50 PM
Hi Nick
I am a product demonstrator for Pro Plan by Purina. When you say you switched to Purina, did you mean Pro Plan Salmon and Rice for Sensitive Skin and Stomachs? Or grocery Purina food? Big difference. Pro Plan has 100% salmon as the first ingredient. Brewers rice second. Vit. E is the preservative. Purina grocery store food is a corn based diet. Not good for any dog let alone one with a rash or allergies. Pro Plan is the best we make. And as much as others put it down, it is the number one AKC champion dog food. So many many top breeders choose the product. I realize many people perfer more holistic type foods and thanks cool. I just wanted to be sure when you said Purina that you mean Purina....or is it Pro Plan. Its one end of the spectrum or the other with our products. I suggest if you are going to try Purina you try Pro Plan only.

NickMali
May 26th, 2005, 10:48 PM
Hi Nick
I am a product demonstrator for Pro Plan by Purina. When you say you switched to Purina, did you mean Pro Plan Salmon and Rice for Sensitive Skin and Stomachs? Or grocery Purina food? Big difference. Pro Plan has 100% salmon as the first ingredient. Brewers rice second. Vit. E is the preservative. Purina grocery store food is a corn based diet. Not good for any dog let alone one with a rash or allergies. Pro Plan is the best we make. And as much as others put it down, it is the number one AKC champion dog food. So many many top breeders choose the product. I realize many people perfer more holistic type foods and thanks cool. I just wanted to be sure when you said Purina that you mean Purina....or is it Pro Plan. Its one end of the spectrum or the other with our products. I suggest if you are going to try Purina you try Pro Plan only.

Yeah it was pro plan the premium stuff. I prefer it over the old stuff I was getting.(Natures Recipe: a venison based formula) Whats the difference between salmon and venison. Logically it would seem like the salmon would be healthier for skin, i.e. omega3 etc.

Prin
May 27th, 2005, 01:59 AM
Venison is deer, salmon has more oils which makes for healthier, shinier fur. But if the dog is allergic to salmon, it won't help anything...

Here are the first few ingredients of the sensitive stomach ProPlan:
Salmon, brewers rice, canola meal, oat meal, beef tallow
preserved with mixed-tocopherols (source of Vitamin E), tuna meal, salmon meal, brewers dried yeast
Brewer's rice is not good, but at least it's not corn. I put my doggies on this food until I misread-- the American version of this food had "Animal Digest" (mystery meat partially digested with enzymes, ew), so I gave it to my dad (his dog is really easy), and started with the Solid Gold. I told him about the animal digest and I went to show him and it wasn't there. I guess the Canadian version is a bit cleaner...

It's really not a horrible food, but if the doggy's condition doesn't clear up, think of switching to something better. Like the fish and potato Wellness, or Solid Gold Wolf King (bison and salmon). You'd have to switch to a food that has ingredients that don't overlap- ingredients that the dog has never had before.

How long ago had your dog been bathed before this time? Sometimes the skin flares up like that because of a reaction with the shampoo, and lasts for months and months. Ideally, the vet would shave the doggy to air out the problem skin and maybe a round of antibiotics, if this is the cause.

Otherwise, I'd work on the idea of allergies. First on the food, then on the pollens and other environmental allergies. If you have enough money, you can ask your vet for blood tests to see what allergy it is. My vet quoted between $300-$400.

losinsusan
May 27th, 2005, 10:14 AM
Most dog foods are chicken based. Beef, turkey and lamb also.
Novel protein sources are what Salmon, Venison and Buffalo are. Poultry allergies are more rare. Grain allergies are common.
I agree, get tested. If its not food based your messing around with diet for nothing. If its a corn/wheat or grain allergy you need to know. But if its outdoor allergens that changes your treatment options and you can stick with a diet that produces the best results as far as stool and coat condition etc. I have friends who are groomers who swear by Kelco's dog shampoos and conditioners. They come concentrated and you can order them online. I haven't tried them since mine get a weekly bath in anti yeast/antibacterial shampoo. He is under the care of a vet dermatologist. My dog has been raised on Pro Plan Chicken and Rice. His coat was perfect all these years until the Zinc Responsive Dermatitis diagnosis two months ago. Its not from his food. Its a metobolic disorder.