Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Saw this website listed in the paper

greaterdane
May 26th, 2005, 02:21 PM
Not sure what to think about when I see this website. On one hand she is trying to help, on the other she prices her pups by breed even though they are all rescues and she only does puppies. Wow $350US a puppy x 6 =$2100 from one litter times like however many litters a year. This woman has made a sick business out of rescue puppies in my opinion of course. There are a few just like her in Rochester as well

here is another

BMDLuver
May 26th, 2005, 02:30 PM
Looks like a broker to me.

This sentence makes her attempt at being legitimate:

Please remember that every puppy sold comes with a detailed sheet explaining the great importance of spay and neutering your pet.

Nowhere does she state that she vaccinates, speuters, etc... She has a deal with her vet for a speuter program if they choose to do so.

greaterdane
May 26th, 2005, 02:51 PM
I thought broker as well. I am so amazed that people do not clue into this. We went by a petshop today in the burlington mall. People were looking at puppies and my mom says "i feel so bad for them" and a woman beside her says, yes i know because they are so small. And my mom quickly barks back with "no, because they were born and raised in a puppymill and are now cramped in petshop windows" I just wanted to pat her on the back :)

levimh
May 26th, 2005, 03:24 PM
Mommyof2bullies - Haha! Way to go mom!

BeagleMum
May 26th, 2005, 03:34 PM
I always question anyone who has more than one breed of puppy available for sale. Must be a puppy mill or a back yard breeder or something. It's just not right...

Safyre
May 27th, 2005, 12:08 AM
Actually, she does state that she vaccinates the dogs

The pups will receive their shots, worming and I will find them new homes.

To combat the overpopulation of dogs, I feel it's very important that when you surrender your puppies to me that I give you the option to have your mother dog spayed. It works like this, Smith's Cute Puppies will pay for up to half of the cost to get your mother dog fixed. I take a numerous amount of little ones to Companion Animal Hospital for checkups and vaccinations. I highly recommend them for this procedure.

from the website ********

not saying she isn't a puppy mill, i dunno, i jsut noticed that she does state she vaccinates jsut wanted to post that here so that wrong info isn't being given out

Lizzie
May 27th, 2005, 08:21 AM
If that is a direct quote from the site I would NOT agree that she vaccinates all of her dogs. She simply states that she takes many in there for check ups and vaccinations. Brokers and puppy mills are underhanded, she could have said this meaning she takes her own---but said it so vaguely that innocent readers THINK she means she takes them all.

Unless it says ALL DOGS ARE VACCINATED then I wouldn't necessarily assume that her implications on the site are in that favour.

Most who do vaccinate all dogs explicitly state it on their site.

Trinitie
May 27th, 2005, 10:41 AM
I don't see anywhere that she says ALL her dogs come from being rescued. Does she have any dog that is contributing to the pups she has? I have a strange feeling that she does.

Prin
May 27th, 2005, 11:12 AM
WHY are they ALL puppies? Wouldn't a real rescue have adults mixed in there too?

Anybody else see nothing but sadness in their eyes? That's what I see. Not puppy innocence. And who are they looking at so sad? Not us.

And this?
At Smith's Cute Puppies, I will pay you! That's right, I'll pay you if your pups are healthy and in need of a home.

toughynutter
February 1st, 2006, 12:44 AM
Update on Happy Pups
from WIVB TV 4 (http://www.wivb.com/Global/story.asp?S=4437623)
"28-year-old Laurie Lerkins of Leroy is charged with ten counts of animal cruelty and animal abandonment.

Deputies say Lerkins left ten puppies along West Bergen Road in Leroy recently.

Investigators say a Rochester dealer named "Happy Pups" paid Lerkins to dispose of the puppies, some of which were infected with parvo." :(

CyberKitten
February 1st, 2006, 09:52 AM
I did not read the last post - and just did now - but was going to say she sure sounds like nothing more than a broker for puppy mills!! And yep, the puppies do not look like they grew up in a happy family situation so that makes me wonder!! Hopefully, someone will shut her down - esp if she is masquerading as a rescue. A rescue would have more adults than puppies and the prices would not be like hers. At least not according to breed - nor does she say what you are paying for as many rescues do - like vaccinatioins, spaying and neuetering, 1st vet visit and care that was needed at time of rescue, and so on!

dulcetpine
March 11th, 2006, 08:48 PM

yeah, this site seems fishy too. after checking the link for the above sites and comparing the "success" stories from both i realized that they are using the same pictures but are different sellers. i find that bizarre...

OntarioGreys
March 12th, 2006, 09:56 AM
Interesting ......though they could have started off "business" together before splitting and going their seperate ways
also both are in Rochester

Prin
March 12th, 2006, 12:25 PM
That one is just ill.:yuck: :yuck: :mad: