Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Weird computer glitch

raingirl
May 26th, 2005, 11:25 AM
For those who have windows XP, you know how when you install a new program, the start menu has a little "word" box that says "new programs installed" and if you go into programs, the new program is highlighted in a beige colour?

Well...my computer does this randomly with the SAME program all the time. It tells me a couple of times a week that I have a "newly installed program" and the program highlighted is the SIMS.

Funny thing is, I have had the SIMS on my computer for 2 years, so it's obviously not new.

I contacted EAgames support for the SIMS and they couldn't figure it out either.

it doesn't cause any harm..just annoying though.

Anyone have anything similar happen?

Prin
May 26th, 2005, 11:56 AM
I usually do a system restore when ever my computer gets buggy. I haven't had too many problems so far with this one.. My old one was like, "Want some computer with your viruses?"

Schwinn
May 26th, 2005, 11:59 AM
Isn't your version of the Sims a, uh "borrowed" version? That MIGHT have something to do with it. Sometimes if a program is cracked or hacked, it tends to do weird things. I have version of Living Large that has bugs showing up all the time. I think they may be computer bugs.

raingirl
May 26th, 2005, 12:55 PM
Actually, It's a full version of sims...and I have all the expansions. I borrowed the first three (sims, living large and house party) then I got the rest on my own.

It's just kinda funny because it is always that program...

nymph
May 26th, 2005, 12:56 PM
Have you recently installed Service Pack 2 on your pc? SP2 had fixed some of the security holes in the OS and have caused many unwanted problems. I had to do a complete restore for my mom's pc, which was long-needed anyway.

honeybee4
May 26th, 2005, 01:00 PM
That seems strange that that text box keeps popping up. If it is bothering you, you can disable the "New Programs Installed" text box from popping up by doing the following:

1. Right click the Start menu
2. Select Properties
3. Click the Start Menu tab.
4. Click the Customize button.
5. Click Advanced tab.
6. uncheck the box that says Highlight newly installed programs.
7. Click Apply.

raingirl
May 26th, 2005, 01:29 PM
It's been happening for more than a year, so I just learned to ignore it. But thanks to honeybee I just disabled that box (neve thought to look if I could do that!). Thanks!

NickMali
May 26th, 2005, 04:55 PM
I never use the "XP" style start menu... always "classic" style bc it's familiar. Anyways, highlight feature is turned off by default in the classic veiw...

honeybee4
May 27th, 2005, 05:57 AM
Your welcome raingirl. XP does some weird things sometimes. I have just gotten use to the weird glitches that happen and try to find ways around them. I have always like Windows 98SE, but have to use XP at work. I have never had any trouble at all with 98SE.