Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Ivermectin

raingirl
May 26th, 2005, 11:13 AM
This may sound like a REALLY odd request, but is there anywhere you can buy this without a prescription?? This may belong under the off topic catagory...so if the mods want to move it, that is fine.

It is NOT for an animal. It is actually for my plants. I have a covered balcony/solarium, and I am battling a major outbreak of fungus gnats, whiteflys, and spider mites. I have tried everything. Most pesticides are banned in ontario, not that I would use them anyway, so I have tried everything organic and natural (soap spray, insecticidal soap, murphy's oil soap, neem oil, horticultural oil)

I went to a local nursery for advice, and they suggested if I could get some ivermectin (only a little...like 10 ml) I mix 1 cc with 10 gallons of water, and spray my plants it should kill all my little pests. If I use the extra mix to water the plants, the plants take it up and kill the pests if the pests suck nectar from the plant as well.

Just so you know, none of my plants are kept near Odin. All my plants are in the solarium, which is locked, except for one window box of nastursiums (which so far aren't infected) and a cactus. Odin is not allowed in that room.

Any ideas?

BMDLuver
May 26th, 2005, 11:33 AM
Not sure where in Ontario you are located but many tack shops and feed mills have Ivermectin in liquid format that they sell over the counter no script required.

raingirl
May 26th, 2005, 11:44 AM
I was thinking that as well. We are about ten minutes from farm land...and I know of at least one feed store not to far from me. I will check them out.

I'm getting really desperate. These things are killing my hibiscus!

goldenblaze
May 26th, 2005, 02:11 PM
Yes you can buy this at feed stores BUT be very careful around animals. A very small amount of this can kill your dog. I learned about this drug when Blaze was fighting manage, if I gave it to him he could of died. I went with other med and very glad I did, I was not going to take a chance unless nothing else was working. :(

raingirl
May 26th, 2005, 02:15 PM
Yeah. I knew about that.

I was actually thinking of spraying it outdoors away from people/things.

ampleann
June 13th, 2006, 08:43 PM
Yes you can get it at any feed store. They carry it for horses and swine.