Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cut Paw Pad

Lissa
May 25th, 2005, 09:19 PM
So this morning while hiking, Dodger sliced his paw pad open (not sure on what but probably a rock in the creek). He cut the big middle pad, not where it touches the ground but higher up on the side of the pad. I think it's going to take a while to heal because everytime he puts pressure, it squeezes the cut open! He's limping but I have to force him home after his pee breaks because he's so active and "outdoorsy".

On a simlar post, it was suggested to use bag balm - which I will try tonight. But someone also said, don't wrap it because of the sweat glands!? But it keeps bleeding (white carpet = not good) and he won't stop licking it, so I wrapped it and put his bootie on during the day and take it off while he sleeps.

Any advice on how to keep him off of it? How long do these wounds take to heal (because we are taking obedience classes now)? Is there anything else I should do!? Do you think its safe to use one of those liquid bandaids (for people) on him? I've been bathing it and applying polysporin, then wrapping it - is this wrong?
In the future - are booties the only way to protect his pads, or does that protective cream for paws work??

I haven't taken him to the vet but if I notice any signs of infection he'll be there. It's unfortunate because he just finished his last round of antibiotics a few days ago, which may have helped this as well! Also, he is a "JUST SAY NO to a crate dog" so I can't minimize his movements that way!

Thanks!

Melissa

JessXx
May 25th, 2005, 09:40 PM
Well, I would suggest going to the vet, He'll most likely need stitches since it keeps opening up.
Do not use any type of wrapping or band-aids.
Don't use the liquid band-aid either.
I don't know about applying creams, my suggestion is go to the vet asap.
Just to be safe. :D

Safyre
May 25th, 2005, 11:06 PM
you ever use some of that liquid banbage on yourself? some brands STING! (ha, old stuff from bowling hurt like a b*ch) how big/deep is the wound? if it keeps opening throughout the night, i'd say vet visit is in order

Prin
May 25th, 2005, 11:51 PM
AHHH! Don't put bag balm on a cut!! Bag balm is for dry pads, it's like an oily moisturizer.

What I would do, depending on how bad it is, is clean it, then use steri-strips to tape it shut and then bandage it with elastic bandage. You should leave it open at night though (except for the steri-strips). Appendages swell at night and what is loose in the day can get really tight at night.

Some people I know use polysporin on their doggies, but I'm not 100% sure it's ok... :confused:

Cactus Flower
May 26th, 2005, 02:59 AM
Yes, you can bandage it. My vet bandaged Chloe.

Neosporin is supposed to be safe for pets. It's great for preventing infection. You can even get the kind that has pain-reliever in it. Might want to call your vet to make double sure, if in doubt.

Sorry this happened to your poor baby :( .

Lissa
May 26th, 2005, 07:41 AM
Thanks guys! Don't worry I didn't put the bag balm on!! The cut didn't open in the night and so far it hasn't bled yet, even though we did go for a quick walk this morning! Dodger has a slight limp but is very TESTY that we are not going for a real walk - I'm not sure what I'm gonna do with him while this heals!

I've been using the polysporin because my vet suggested it when he had his eye infection/allergic reaction and for his abcess. I can get neosporin if that's better/safer though!?

The wound does look deep to me - if it starts bleeding today, I should probably head to the vet's, right? Do you think the vet would use glue to close the wound?

Thanks again everyone!

Melissa

Prin
May 26th, 2005, 12:06 PM
I don't know if it's going to be too late to really close it up? Probably not... But if it's really deep, you should go to the vet. :)

Cactus Flower
May 26th, 2005, 02:08 PM
I'm pretty sure that Polysporin and Neosporin are the same thing, just different brand names.

db7
May 26th, 2005, 02:12 PM
It's unlikely the vet will stitch it. Put EMT gel (collagen hydrolasate) on it, bandage and booty. This product has traditionally been used as a surgical wound dressing to promote healing and reduce scarring. Now it is being sold as a first aid product.

My dog swears by it.

Natural Hydrolysate of Collagen. EMT Gel is a revolutionary breakthrough in wound care for animals. It provides nutritive collagen protein to the wound site to enhance the natural healing process and promote rapid healing. EMT gel reduces bleeding by forming a plug to encourage natural clotting. It seals off nerve endings to reduce pain and itching. EMT Gel forms a semi-occlusive barrier that protects the wound and provides a moist environment which encourages healing. EMT Gel is all-natural, non-toxic, and has no known side effects. EMT Gel reduces the chance of infection by forming a barrier over the wound site. Easy to apply, EMT Gel:

* Promotes rapid healing
* Reduces bleeding
* Protects wounds
* Reduces pain and itching
* Conforms to any wound size
* Soothes and deodorizes
* Absorbs wound fluids
* Biocompatible and biodegradable

Indications

For topical application on all animals in the management of chronic and acute wounds such as:

* Superficial wounds (cuts, abrasions)
* Burns
* Traumatic wounds (flesh tears)
* Dermal ulcers, “hot spots”
* Injured foot pads
* Surgical wounds
* Other general dermatologic conditions

Directions for Use:

1. Cleanse wound thoroughly with water or saline.
2. Apply EMT Gel directly into the wound and onto the surrounding area.
3. If needed, cover wound with a non-stick dressing. Allow to air dry on superficial wounds.
4. Reapply EMT Gel and redress (if needed) one to two times daily.

levimh
May 26th, 2005, 02:40 PM
Use the time that you'd usually be walking him to cuddle. :D I'm sure Dodger won't enjoy it as much as a walk (if he's an outdoorsy dog), but atleast you can bond in the meantime.

Lissa
May 26th, 2005, 04:10 PM
Thanks again, I really do appreciate all this info! I will look for that EMT gel, it sounds great!
I'll have to give him lots of cuddles and maybe practice the attention command! He definately has lots of energy right now but can't manage any more than 10 minutes walking on the grass at one time. He's still making me feel :evil: for forcing him home!

Thank-you for the sound advice!

Dog Dancer
May 26th, 2005, 04:58 PM
When my girl Shadow got her foot bitten (after putting it under a fence it didn't belong under) she had a really deep puncture and tear wound on her pad. The vet glued it shut and then put a wrap bandage on it. They couldn't stitch as she had eaten earlier in the day, but the glue worked fine. We only had to keep it bandaged a few days. Good luck!

db7
May 26th, 2005, 06:26 PM
Just to add, a puncture wound must be carefully disinfected as it can heal over and leave an internal infection.

coppperbelle
May 26th, 2005, 07:32 PM
One of my dogs cut his pad on something while out playing in the water a few weeks ago. For two weeks it would bleed on and off after a walk or play time. Someone told me about EMT so I ordered it. After just one application it healed and never bled again.