Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Tear-jerker Films

Shamrock
May 25th, 2005, 07:32 PM
ok - a new category here.
What is a film that you remember as one of the saddest you've seen?
Sad films that really touch, and move us are among the ones we "really" remember for a long time.
But - its hard to watch sad films sometimes... have to be in the 'right" mood.
We all like happy endings, after all - a feel-good film.

And.. do sad films bring tears to you? I find some will bring a lump to my throat, a tear 'to" my eye.. but I never actually cry in movies, though I know a lot do, especially young people.

CyberKitten
May 25th, 2005, 07:33 PM
Old Yeller, absolutely!! And Love Story of course!

Lucky Rescue
May 25th, 2005, 08:06 PM
"My Life" with Michael Keaton. Very difficult to watch and VERY moving, without being hokey or melodramatic.

"Black Beauty" - I start crying before the opening credits are done!!

dmc123
May 25th, 2005, 08:59 PM
Where the Red Fern Grows!

Diane

Karin
May 25th, 2005, 09:08 PM
"Message In A Bottle" with Kevin Costner...no matter how many times I see it I blubber like a fool.

JDG
May 25th, 2005, 09:14 PM
Don't laugh, ok. . . .

The Little Mermaid. . .

you know at the end, when she decides to be a human and she is saying bye to her family and she says 'I looove you, daddy'

Gets me every time!

twinmommy
May 25th, 2005, 09:43 PM
ok., I haven't seen it myself yet, but I'm told the biggest "sob-fest" right now is watching The Notebook.

like I'm talkin' kleenex-box-beside-you-still-sobbing-while-the credits-roll crying!! ;)

postal service
May 25th, 2005, 09:48 PM
Yeah... I got roped into watching The Notebook with my roommates, and while I didn't love the movie, I was totally sobbing at the end!

Sneaky2006
May 25th, 2005, 09:49 PM
Ohhh, My Life and Message in a Bottle I have to agree... but I want to add A Walk to Remember, besides the end... there are a few parts that get me goin even before I see it!

Oh and Steel Magnolias, Sally Field's speech, man oh man.

Prin
May 26th, 2005, 12:38 AM
I disagree with message in a bottle... I think the way it was written it just didn't sink in. I used to cry at everything, and that movie-- not a tear. I mean I cried at "My Best Friend's Wedding". :eek:

The end of Million Dollar Hotel made me cry in a weird way. Makes you think about things.
I cried when Tom Hanks lost "Wilson" on Cast Away and when she tells him he's the love of her life and walks away....
Shakespeake in Love made me cry, even though you see the end coming...
Radio Flyer :( It's just SAD.
Boys Don't Cry kind of rips your insides apart...
Pay it forward (kinda makes you feel like crap though)..
The Family Man-- doesn't make me cry but does hit hard. It's one of my favorite movies ever.

Sneaky2006
May 26th, 2005, 06:07 AM
Oh, I have to admit I cried at 50 First Dates.. I know it's supposed to be funny and it is, but when she tells him she's been dreaming about him, ohhh!

happycats
May 26th, 2005, 07:13 AM
I cried during "A Time To Kill" "Dance's with Wolves" and "Mississippi burning"
And (don't laugh :o ) "Free Willy"

Lizzie
May 26th, 2005, 08:40 AM
Life As A House is another good one. It lures you in and keeps you there for the whole movie!

While these are not movies, pretty much any Extreme Makeover Home Edition will get the waterworks going too!

raingirl
May 26th, 2005, 10:15 AM
I agree with message in a bottle and 50 first dates! Both made me ball!

Princesss04
May 26th, 2005, 10:22 AM
I cry on EVERYTHING! LOL Meater and Chino always come snuggle with mom when it is movie time because more than likely I am gonna cry. LOL I agree Message in a Bottle, A Walk to Remember, Dying Young, Finding Never Land (did not really like the movie but cried at the end.)LOL City Slickers (when Norman the cow is drowning) I know you are all thinking I am the biggest baby ever. Justin agrees! :D But in real life I do not cry that often. :D

raingirl
May 26th, 2005, 10:27 AM
OMG NORMAN!! I loved Norman. I loved that movie (city slickers).

Princesss04
May 26th, 2005, 11:17 AM
I know Raingirl poor Norman. I crawled under the coffee table because they were all laughing at me and I cried and cried! I thought he was gonna die!~

nymph
May 26th, 2005, 11:18 AM
or HuoZhe in Mandarin with English subtitle.

Roger Ebert said this about the movie: "It is a big, strong, energetic film, made by a filmmaker whose vision takes in four decades of his nation's history, and who stands apart from all the political currents, and sees that ordinary people everywhere basically want what his heroine cries out for, a quiet life."

Blaze01
May 26th, 2005, 12:57 PM
Term of Enderment (sp)
The Notebook
Sweet November
Forest Gump
all these had me crying...I love tear jerkers

Prin
May 26th, 2005, 12:58 PM
I totally forgot about Norman!! Ya, that's a really sad part.

Princesss04
May 26th, 2005, 01:58 PM
Oh Blaze I forgot about Sweet Novemeber you are right BIG tear jerker. And what about Step Mom and all time favorite Beaches. Oh man did I make a fool out of myself crying on that one. At the part where she is singing Did anyone tell you your my hero. I am gonna cry thinking about it. LOL :D

Copper'sMom
May 26th, 2005, 02:23 PM
Geez! I can't remember what the movie was called, that I last watched and bawled my eyes out. It was only two or three months ago and I can't even remember what it was about! I think it had Jennifer Lopez in it. Anyone have an idea? It was on satellite, a fairly new release (i think within the last year, maybe 2?)

I don't watch alot of movies because I can never remember if I've seen them or not! :mad:

Sneaky2006
May 26th, 2005, 02:26 PM
Shall We Dance (2004) .... Paulina
Jersey Girl (2004) .... Gertrude Steiney
Gigli (2003) .... Ricki
Maid in Manhattan (2002) .... Marisa Ventura
Enough (2002) .... Slim Hiller
Angel Eyes (2001) .... Sharon Pogue
The Wedding Planner (2001) .... Mary Fiore
The Cell (2000) .... Catherine Deane
Out of Sight (1998) .... Karen Sisco
U Turn (1997) .... Grace McKenna

Any one of those?

Copper'sMom
May 26th, 2005, 02:32 PM
Shall We Dance - wasn't Richard Gere in that movie?? It might have been that one, but I can't remember what was sad about it!

Sneaky2006
May 26th, 2005, 02:38 PM
Yeah it was him... I can't tell ya what was sad cause I didn't see it... someone just mentioned it though, maybe they know?

Shamrock
May 26th, 2005, 03:01 PM
The Notebook is a bona-fide tear-jerker that cant help but get the tears going.This is a great example of the classic sad movie.
I found some areas did not accurately portray dementia as it "really" is (her ability to remember the story where they left off for example . The short term memory is the "first" thing to go.
But.. heck - its a movie! A lovely, sad and bittersweet one. I really loved it- a lot.

As a depiction of true events of war, its not the same "type" of film at all, but THE saddest movie I can ever recall seeing is Gallipolli. A young Mel Gibson has a supporting role.
An excellent film, but overwhelmingly sad for the tragedy it relays.

Copper'sMom
May 26th, 2005, 03:12 PM
Who was in "The Notebook?" And what was it about?

Cactus Flower
May 26th, 2005, 03:22 PM
What Dreams May Come made me fill but not spill. I refuse to spill, dangit! I refuse!

Blaze01
May 26th, 2005, 03:38 PM
Who was in "The Notebook?" And what was it about?

The Notebook is a Nicholas Sparks novel about a young couple and their lives together. I cant remeber the name of the actors but they did a very good job. The main girl character whose name is Ally was the queen bee from mean girls if you have ever seen that movie. I cant think of another movie the guy has been it but i know there is a few. Its a great movie to watch with the girlfriends...just make sure you have pleanty of tissue because its heartbreaking!

I just thought of another sad movie...When a man loves a woman. Gosh that is a wonderful but sad movie.

Fried Green Tomatos is sad but really good.

Shamrock
May 26th, 2005, 03:41 PM
Cactus Flower -glad to hear I'm not the only one. ;) I cant either!

Copper's Mom, "The Notebook" stars Geena Davis ( directed by her son Nick Cassavettes) and James Garner as the husband.

Its a sweeping love story that spans decades, beautifully shot and nicely acted. The cinematography is outstanding, I thought.
Some critics panned it as sappy and predictable, not all viewers liked it
To me..it was a touching story about the enduring power of love and committment. :thumbs up

Copper'sMom
May 26th, 2005, 03:44 PM
hmmmmm............ ok, I don't think I've seen it. It sounded familiar though!

oh and thanks for filling me in!

Shamrock
May 26th, 2005, 03:45 PM
oops, sorry, Blaze 01 has already given you the story, Copper's Mom.

"Terms of Endearment", with Shirly MacLaine and Debra Winger. This is an old film, but was really considered a two-hankie tear-jerker.

marko
May 31st, 2005, 06:57 PM
2 that come to mind are both set in WW2

Life is beautiful - 1998
Sophie's choice - 1982

Both movies are excellent and sad.

iRONKNiGHT
May 31st, 2005, 11:30 PM
Okay here's 2 that i can think of for the moment!

Title: My Life As A Dog (Mitt liv som hund)
Year: 1985
Country of Origin: Sweden
Read Review's on Amazon's Website here (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000087EY5/qid=1117596547/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/002-5726708-2523260?v=glance&s=dvd)

In 1950s Sweden a 12 year old boy Ingemar (Anton Glanzelius) is sent to live with relatives. His father is away and his mother is slowly dying of some unnamed disease (I think it's tuberculosis) and can't handle him (he's VERY mischievous and always getting in trouble). With his relatives he grows up and learns how to deal with life, love, feelings of abandonment, sex etc etc.

Title: Pelle the Conqueror
Year: 1988
Country of Origin: Denmark
Read Reviews on Amazon's website here (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00020HAXS/qid=1117596134/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/104-9810766-8343944?v=glance&s=dvd)
The end of the 19th century. A boat filled with Swedish emigrants comes to the Danish island of Bornholm. Among them are Lasse and his son Pelle who move to Denmark to find work. They find employment at a large farm, but are treated as the lowest form of life. Pelle starts to speak Danish but is still harassed as a foreigner. But none of them wants to give up their dream of finding a better life than the life they left in Sweden.

nymph
June 1st, 2005, 11:36 AM
Marko: I almost forgot about Sophie's Choice. Yup both movies are heart-wrenching.

I revisited another one last night, a cartoon on top of all, but this is not your typical Disney cartoon. Grave of the Fireflies revealed the indifference of Japanese people towards the end of WWII, even though Japan was the aggressor, but ordinary people had overcome so many hardships. The story involved a couple of orphans, an older brother Seita and his much younger sister Setsuko, set in WWII when then entire city of Tokyo was destroyed by fire bombs. I wouldn't call it *anti-war* movie because it's much more than that, and the director was heavily influenced by Yasujiro Ozu's use of "pillow shots" (Tokyo Story), and some very creative imageries.

twinmommy
June 1st, 2005, 12:48 PM
I found Saving Private Ryan to be quite sad....especially since there were 2 old men sitting in front of me at the movie theater, undoubtably vets themselves. They held each other and cried during the whole film!! Poor old souls!! I cried the whole movie, and felt like having a big group hug at the end!!! :grouphug: :sad:

Rick C
June 2nd, 2005, 12:45 PM
Platoon was probably one of the saddest movies - a feeling of hopelessness and defeat as you're leaving the theatre.

Disney's The Fox and the Hound, when the little Fox gets left in the forest and he's shown retreating in the rear view mirror. That's a guaranteed tear jerking scene!!!

And of course, mentioned earlier, Ole Yeller!! That should be on everyone's list.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

twinmommy
June 4th, 2005, 10:31 PM
o.k. I thought of a few more, I didn't check if anyone mentioned "Old Yeller", "Charlotte's Web", "Kramer vs. Kramer"(pretty old one)

and..OOh I almost forgot--"Pay it Forward" with Kevin Spacey and Helen Hunt!!!! What a sob-fest THAT was!!! :rolleyes:

Cactus Flower
June 4th, 2005, 11:20 PM
I found Saving Private Ryan to be quite sad....especially since there were 2 old men sitting in front of me at the movie theater, undoubtably vets themselves. They held each other and cried during the whole film!! Poor old souls!!

THAT would have

done

me

in.

Talley3000
June 5th, 2005, 04:32 AM
Stepmom

With Susan Sarandan (sp) and Julia Roberts. Susan plays Jackie, a divorced mother of two. Julia plays Isabel, the new stepmom of her two children. Jackie doesn't accept Isabel into the family, and Jackie's daughter treats Isabel like dirt. Then, Jackie is diagnosed with terminal cancer. As her barriers fall down, she shares tender moments with Isabel. There is one bit that gets me every time - when Isabel says she doesn't know how she is going to cope when Anna, the daughter, says on her wedding day "I wish my mom was here." There's also the bit on Christmas day where Jackie calls her children into her room and gives them presents and tells them she will love them forever. Now here comes the REAL tear jerker - they are having a family photo and Isabel is standing out, when Jackie tells her to sit next to her - proof she has finally been accepted. There's the song 'Ain't No Mountain Higher' playing - enough to get the coldest of hearts broken!!

Beaches

How can nobody cry at this? :eek:
Following the story of two women who met on a beach as children and how their lives go in different directions. And then one woman is diagnosed with a heart condition, which she eventually dies from. She leaves her young daughter to Bette Davis's character, and the song 'Wind Beneath My Wings' just keeps the tears coming.

BEAR_NZ
June 7th, 2005, 05:22 AM
oh so many too!! beginning from Bambi and Lassie, ET, Ghost, Life is beautiful, Captain Corellis mandolin, The Notebook, The Green Mile, Patch Adams, Gorillas in the mist... just to name a few special ones that have left a little imprint upon my heart.

Dozer's Mom
June 7th, 2005, 07:38 AM
I cry over just about every movie but the movie that this thread made me think of was Ladder 49. I cried ridiculously (like sobbing...lol) for at least a good 15 minutes after it was over!! Armageddon (sp?) is another huge tear jerker for me.

Schwinn
June 7th, 2005, 11:15 AM
The end of the Fast and the Furious when he rolls the Dodge Charger several times. That was a beautiful car! (what?)

Oh, the end of All Dogs go to Heaven...but if you tell my date, I'll deny everything (just like I did then!)

Cactus Flower
June 7th, 2005, 01:17 PM
Has anyone seen Amistad? Towards the end, when they are in the courtroom, and they start chanting "FREE",......

iRONKNiGHT
June 7th, 2005, 08:38 PM
The end of the Fast and the Furious when he rolls the Dodge Charger several times. That was a beautiful car! (what?)

Oh, the end of All Dogs go to Heaven...but if you tell my date, I'll deny everything (just like I did then!)

haha okay if you can so can i...

The Arrow.. what a sad movie about an important part of our
:ca: Canadian :ca: History..
you know when the plane first lift's off... ohh what a touching moment.
http://www.cbcshop.ca/CBC/images/products/etart/etart00072(220).jpg

Daniac
June 7th, 2005, 09:03 PM
I'm the biggest sap. I cry at the drop of a hat, doesn't matter if it's a sad movie or a happy movie.

If I even hear the music from Cinema Paradiso I'll get a tear in my eye!

nymph
June 8th, 2005, 03:54 PM
If I even hear the music from Cinema Paradiso I'll get a tear in my eye!

Same here! Unfortunately I watched the director's cut version FIRST, it has a completely different ending and it just kept dragging and dragging. But I must agree that it is a wonderful movie. I think all movie lovers must have loved Cinema Paradiso.

Daniac
June 8th, 2005, 05:50 PM
Same here! Unfortunately I watched the director's cut version FIRST, it has a completely different ending and it just kept dragging and dragging. But I must agree that it is a wonderful movie. I think all movie lovers must have loved Cinema Paradiso.

How does that one end? All the ones I've seen end the same way. I originally saw it at the Toronto Film Festival.

CP has to be one of my favourite movies. I watch it everytime it comes on TV, I really should just buy the DVD.

Byrd
August 26th, 2005, 09:49 PM
Geez! I can't remember what the movie was called, that I last watched and bawled my eyes out. It was only two or three months ago and I can't even remember what it was about! I think it had Jennifer Lopez in it. Anyone have an idea? It was on satellite, a fairly new release (i think within the last year, maybe 2?)

Bet it was Jersey Girl. I just watched it (finished about an hour ago), and seriously, I don't cry at movies, but I was practically bawling! :sad: Who knew, Ben can act!

PEDPA
November 30th, 2005, 10:28 PM
Ok the titanic! I knew what was going to happen and yet i sat with my fingers crossed that it may turn totally into fiction and everyone would be saved....... I bawled forever and then took the tape out and threw it across the room.

Looking back..... OLD YELLAR !!!!!!!! As a child, I was carried out of the theatre in my dads arms screaming with tears running down my face... and didn't sleep that night at all, my parents sat with me all night telling me he was ok....... I still can't watch that movie.:sad:

divinecalamity
December 18th, 2005, 11:51 PM
There are so many I cry over lol..but I will have to agree with others..the biggest tear jerker was "the notebook"...i cry during the enitre ending of that movie and for a while afterward lol..my boyfriend doesn't want me to watch it anymore ....but sometimes...a good cry is needed. I work with people in the end stages of dementia/alzhimers (can't spell) and it brings so many emotions and thoughts. I also really cried on "the green mile" and the movie "my dog skip"...there are so many more...even commercials get me going lol

SchnauzerGirl
December 19th, 2005, 05:51 PM
The WORST tear jerker movie that I have seen was the Passion of Christ. I think I cried for an entire two hours - for those of you that aren't religious, never mind that it has to do with the crucifixion of christ, but the fact that ANY human being can do that to another is truly horrible. The movie didn't hold back, thats for sure...

HunterXHunter
January 24th, 2006, 05:31 PM
The ONLY movie that has ever made me cry was "A Walk to Remember" starring Mandy Moore and some guy :rolleyes: . I was holding back the tears the 2nd and 3rd time I saw it too.

If you haven't seen it yet...I recommend you do...

cpietra16
January 24th, 2006, 06:18 PM
Life is Beautiful...
Steel Magnolias
Mask (with Cher)
Bambi...or any Walt Disneys that kill off the mother in the first 2 minutes:mad:
Sophie Choice
Shindlers List

jesse's mommy
January 24th, 2006, 10:10 PM
My Life had me crying from beginning to end.

Life As A House also had me crying from beginning to end.

I just realized, movies about people dying from Cancer usually get me. I think it's because I've seen so many family members pass away from it and I guess it brings up old hard feelings. :sad:

Prin
January 24th, 2006, 11:19 PM
Life as a house was pretty bad (not bad as in horrible, but awfully sad). I LOVE the house they build too. It's really beautiful. And the end? Aw.:(

Bushfire2000
January 25th, 2006, 12:26 AM
The Yearling

Bambi

Dumbo

My Life (buckets and buckets)

My Friend Flicka

Step mom

Steel Magnolias

The list goes on and on.

papillonmama
January 25th, 2006, 10:19 AM
While reading this thread I was thinking LaBomba "Ritchiiiiiie...."

My Girl

Romeo and Juliet, even though I know the end it, always gets me when she opens her eyes and he just took the poison, darn you irony.

The Basketball Diaries

Requiem For A Dream

What Dreams May Come

Untamed Hearts

Jerry Maguire, when Jerry tells Dorothy, "You complete me."

I agree with Bambi, Beaches, Titanic.
There are probably a lot more, I just can't think of right now.