Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Anal cyst in canine

MaureenHiggins
May 25th, 2005, 05:48 PM
My 11 year old mini Schnauzer developed a red swollen area to the left of his anus. I noticed it on Monday. Tuesday I gave him a warm bath as it seemed to be oozing some yellowish pus. Directly after he went into the living room where I heard him yelp and I went out to discover blood on the carpet and all over his back end. I put cold compresses and over the counter antibiotic ointment on it. I am at work but my son called to say the dog is shaking and his lower jaw is chattering. I have just become single and needless to say left pennyless. A vet visit would be financial ruin.

Any help out there?

JDG
May 25th, 2005, 06:01 PM
Many vets offer payment plans, or allow you to pay with post dated cheques. . . .call around to a couple vets. . . .

Your dog needs to see a vet. . .

Good luck!

Lucky Rescue
May 25th, 2005, 06:36 PM
Tuesday I gave him a warm bath as it seemed to be oozing some yellowish pus.

I'm no vet, but sounds like an abcess. Antibiotics are necessary for this, especially considering the area it's in. It's probably infected and won't get better on it's own.

Your dog may also have a fever with this.

Beaglemom
May 26th, 2005, 07:37 AM
I don't think this is something that will go away on its own. Your dog should see a vet to get this treated.

Ask your vet about payment plans as previously suggested. Another option is asking family and friends for a short term loan. Many will be glad to help. We have helped a few family members in a predicament similar to this and we have also been helped by family and friends when one of our babies needed medical attention and we just couldn't afford it at the time. A last resort would be a credit card.

Good luck and I hope everything works out for you and your furbaby.