Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Gardening Question...

kandy
May 25th, 2005, 02:04 PM
I have got a lovely lilac bush in my backyard, and I want to plant one by the front of my house. I don't want to buy a new one, I'd rather just take a cutting from the existing one and plant it, but I don't know how. Also, does anyone know if a lilac bush will still do okay in a spot that is mostly shaded? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks! :)

raingirl
May 25th, 2005, 02:22 PM
Lilacs like full sun. They won't do as well in partial or full shade.

I have seen people take cuttings off their lilacs and just plant them in the ground and seen them grow. They do tend to root well. I would wait until they stop flowering though, and the temps are warmer, as it would root better (like end of june/early july).

doggy lover
May 25th, 2005, 02:22 PM
I have lilac bushes under trees and they do ok. You can dig up a sucker off of your main bush and plant it, but it will take years to bloom. I did this about 3 years ago and they still haven't bloomed.

kandy
May 25th, 2005, 02:51 PM
Bummer - the place I wanted to plant the lilac is pretty much in full shade. The tree in front of it would block any sun that it might get. Any suggestions about what kind of a bush would do well in the shade? I have found a couple of different plants, but I'd really like to have some kind of flowering bush right there since it would be under my bedroom window.

raingirl
May 25th, 2005, 03:00 PM
if you go to rona.ca there is a plant finder.

http://www.rona.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/rona/hort_botanix.jsp?parentAssetId=4&assetId=78&langId=-1

Safyre
May 25th, 2005, 11:15 PM
great website Raingirl - can someone explain 'hardiness zone'??? :confused:

doggy lover
May 26th, 2005, 07:18 AM
There are different temp zones that we live in I think Toronto is a 4 or 5 you would probably be about the same. When you buy plants you buy for the zone you live in as they survive better in that temp zone. Like tropical plants would never survive here, most stores that sell plants sell for the zone you are in.

raingirl
May 26th, 2005, 08:58 AM
A plant is only as hardy as the highest zone that it could live in (I beleive they start at zone 1 down south in florida, and work up).

In Brampton, we are zone 6a or 5b...can't remember.

THat means if I buy a plant for 4b, then it might not survive the winter in my higher zone.

I used to put all my tropical plants outside in the summer when I had a garden at my parents or my old apartment, but my new place sucks because I have an enclosed balcony....

Safyre
May 26th, 2005, 10:53 AM
thanks guys, i meant to edit my post as when i went to the 'advanced' search on that website Raingirl provided, it showed the hardiness zone for my area.
7a for chatham.

kandy
May 26th, 2005, 11:36 AM
I went online looking, and apparently I have two choices in flowering bushes for my zone and full shade - woohoo :mad: . I can't remember what they are right now, I'm not at work today and I have em on a sticky at my desk. I guess it doesn't matter right now anyway, since I can't plant anything until we get the siding put up - and that'll be a few more weeks anyway. Maybe I'll stick with the flowering baskets and just get a big one for that spot.