Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My cats legs suddenly are not working very well...

Rumpleteaser
May 25th, 2005, 01:36 PM
Hello, everyone. I am new here. The reason I signed up, actually, is because my baby (17 yr old female cat) has has several problems within the last 2 years, and I feel I might benefit from talking with all of you.

Rumpleteaser (her name!) has chronic pancreatis, which I keep down by giving her IV fluids 2 days on, 1 day off. She has been fine the last 3 months, thank God. She also is on thyroid medication.

My problem is this: 2 days ago, she started to lose control of her hind quarters. (Her legs just seem to be wobbly and sometimes they give out.) Now, when this started, I noticed that a cover that I have on a cedar chest that she jumps up on had been pulled halfway off (unusual) so I thought perhaps that she got her claw caught and had perhaps pulled or injured herself in some way. She does go outside. I checked her for injury and can find nothing. She doesn't seem to be bothered at all by this issue! I do not believe it is causing her pain. I have waited 2 days to see if she started to improve, but she has not. I am going to call the vet tonight to make an appointment, but meanwhile, I was hoping to get some insight.

Any thoughts?? Like I said, she is my baby. I love her dearly. I know she is old, but as long as she is having a good quality of life, I want her to live as long as possible.

Karen

Shamrock
May 25th, 2005, 02:39 PM
Hi Karen, and welcome to the site. I am very sorry to hear of your baby's new health issues. It's a terrible worry and upset, at any age, my heart goes out to you. :grouphug: The loss of mobility is a serious concern.
I cant offer any insight, I'm afraid -there are so many things that can develop with a senior animal. Your vet will certainly be the best source to find answers - run some tests, and see what the prognosis is for your cherished kitty.

Good luck with this. I hope that Rumpleteaser has many more healthy days ahead, and will recover from this setback. Keep up posted wont you?

Rumpleteaser
May 25th, 2005, 02:55 PM
Thanks, Shamrock for the good wishes. I will certainly keep everyone posted. It helps when people care.....

kandy
May 25th, 2005, 03:48 PM
I am so sorry to hear about your poor kitty! I wish someone would invent a youth potion so that we could all keep our furbabies healthy and happy forever! Let us know what the vet says - we'll keep our fingers (and paws) crossed for you and Rumpleteaser!

chico2
May 25th, 2005, 04:01 PM
Rumpleteaser,I too have no insight into what the problem might be,but it seems you have taken wonderful care of this little lady :love: Hopefully it will be something easily fixed and she'll be with you for another few years.
It happended to one of my cats a couple of times,but he had some sort of seizure and quickly recovered,with Rumpleteaser it's an ongoing thing,right?
It's probably something to do with old age...I know all about that,getting up in age myself,things just don't work like they used to.
Good Luck to you and your kitty,please let us know how it goes at the vet.

CyberKitten
May 25th, 2005, 04:03 PM
I wish I could tell you what it is but I cannot - something neurological maybe that is a function of another illness she has? - but that is jut an uneducated guess. I do want to tell you how wonderful it has been for you and your cat to have spent so much time together. I know what it is like to have a sick geriatric pet and it does help to have people who care!

postal service
May 25th, 2005, 08:38 PM
Karen - I'm sorry to hear about your cat, I hope it isn't serious. I don't mean to scare you because this might not be the case at all, but about three months ago my (young) cat started getting lethargic following an eye infection, so I brought her back to the vet and it turned out she had FIV (feline AIDS). She started losing control of her hind legs not long after. She had a really hard time walking but she would still try to follow me around the house. My vet said that some cats respond to treatment and others don't - unfortunately I lost my baby a few weeks ago. I really hope your cat doesn't have FIV (or feline leukemia) but if she does, she can still live happily and comfortably for some time. Try to see your vet as soon as possible, once you know what's wrong you can start helping her. Good luck and let us know how it goes!