Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

2 barking dogs and new baby

lilith_rizel
May 25th, 2005, 01:32 PM
Ok, I am posting this for a friend of mine. Well she doesn't know it, but I figured I would try to help her. He 2 dogs bark at everything. If the phone rings, doorbell, even if you burp! She wants to stop this habbit of theirs before she has the baby. She doesn't want them waking up their son, once he is born. Apolo, black lax x, is getting better, He still does it, but when Jen gets up from the couch to answer the door or what ever, he gives her this look that says, "oh no I'm in trouble" So he knows he did wrong, but does it anyways. And Rusty, sheltie, doesn't seem like he understands at all. I have been working with them a little bit today. I left the front door open (screen door was closed though, so they could watch the people. Everytime they would see someone they would bark and I would say no, Apolo eventually stopped barking everytime he saw a person, but Rusty just didn't get the point. Is there anything you guys would suggest Jen trying. Or even me, being that Jen is so close to having the baby, maybe I could come over every other day, to work with them.....

raingirl
May 25th, 2005, 05:28 PM
What I did with Odin which works 90% of the time is teach him enough. I let him bark once, then I say enough. As soon as he stops, I say good boy and praise him a ton. In the beginning I would say enough and praise him right away if he didn't bark...I just kept increasing the time between "enough" and "good boy" before he barked again. Odin knows Ah Ah means something bad, so if he barks before I say "Good Boy" I saw Ah Ah and he knows what he did was wrong..then I wait a few more seconds and then tell him good boy again.

A dog will bark at sounds, which is good. It's actually not good to teach a dog not to bark at all, as you never get a warning about anything. It's better to teach a dog to bark once, and then get him to stop.

I also think it is better to have noise with a baby, as they learn to sleep in noisy places, and it's easier to take them places like friends houses, car rides, etc, because they will sleep even if it is noisy.

levimh
May 25th, 2005, 07:16 PM
I agree, some noise is good.

When someone knocks on the door or there is a sudden noise, Levi will bark (or woof) and go towards the sound. He'll only do it once and I praise him after his first bark or woof. Makes for an excellent watch dog.

mona_b
May 25th, 2005, 07:58 PM
I have also used the command "enough"..Yukon was more of a barker as a pup.And this command worked..As for Tron,well he was a working dog(Police)and barked like a wild dog when he caught the bad guys.... :D ...But I know his different barks and what they mean.

As for babies and noise,I would definately continue making the same noises that were made before the baby came along.When my daughter was sleeping,I still vaccumed,played the stero,had the t.v turned up,never told friends that came over to keep the noise down.She actually slept with the radio on..She's 18 now and will still sleep through all of this...... :thumbs up

LavenderRott
May 25th, 2005, 08:24 PM
When my oldest daughter was born we spent as much time as possible at a friend's house. She lived right next to the flightline on an Air Force Base. Lots of fighter jets taking off! Plenty O' Noise!

I put all of my kids to bed and didn't worry about the household noise level. I didn't want to forever have to worry about parts of a t.v. show being too loud or whatever. Now my son sleeps with a phone right next to his bed and sleeps through the late night phone calls.

lilith_rizel
May 25th, 2005, 08:44 PM
Yeah, but these boys don't stop barking. I spent the night there last night, and part of the day today, and their non stop barking got so annoying. Everytime they heard the smallest noise, they would bark. Weird thing is, if a door bell rings on TV, they don't bark!!!

wjranch
May 25th, 2005, 11:05 PM
Definatly consistency and patience is required. You might find the sheltie yappier then the labx. :) If you haven't tried a water squirter , you could use that ..... allow 1 bark, command 'enough', if another bark happens, squirt squirt squirt till it stops. When barking stops, praise praise praise!!

Although, if she's this close to having the baby, you can pretty much bet the baby has gotten used to the barking sounds already anyway. Sound travels through to the womb pretty good so it seems ;)

If it is really bad, and totally unacceptable, there are electronic methods to help stop barking...... although, I don't reccommend them for prolonged use...maybe only at baby's nap time?? And certainly continue and maintain the 'enough' training as well.
Good Luck

Prin
May 25th, 2005, 11:57 PM
What about a citronella collar before you try the electic stuff? Is there something bad about citronella collars I don't know about?

BMDLuver
May 26th, 2005, 05:47 AM
Citronella collars can work very well on dogs. Some dogs figure out how many barks it takes to empty the cannister, some don't.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-citronella.htm?referrer=adwords_campaign=citronell a_ad=007301

That's a link to citronella. Seems it is considered a more natural approach so it should not be a bad thing to try even with pregnancy.

Shelties do bark a lot so will be definitely harder to break him of the habit than the lab.

raingirl
May 26th, 2005, 08:43 AM
Plus the dog will smell lemony fresh and naturally repel mosquitoes!

goldenblaze
May 26th, 2005, 09:09 AM
Jordie is our neighborhood watch, he doesn't miss a thing and barks at everything walking or blowing by. Blaze barks only if someone comes in our driveway or to our door, some dogs bark alot Mom's dogs bark at everything too. I don't mind but I have no kids, that would make a difference. :)

Princesss04
May 26th, 2005, 09:42 AM
Chino is a barker as well! :D Than he will get Meater going but they now when Mom or Dad says enough they better stop. Chino is still learning that but he is getting better. LOL :D We can be upstairs in our room with the air on and the TV and they can hear something. Chino is a good watch dog. Not sure he would actually do anything about somone coming in our house that was not suppose to be there but sure sounds scary from the outside. :D He has a loud scary bark! :D

Schwinn
May 26th, 2005, 09:52 AM
Plus the dog will smell lemony fresh and naturally repel mosquitoes!

:D That's funny! And, I like it better than normal, where Daisy smells rank (from whatever she rolled in) and repels people!

kandy
May 26th, 2005, 11:17 AM
Hazel barks mostly when she wants to play. She has barked at things outside, and like a good pack leader, I always go look to see. Hubby is trying to teach her not to bark indoors because she and Parker bark at each other in his shop during the day. He doesn't want them barking at customers, even if they all they want is to play. I am trying to teach her enough as well as speak. Our Lacey (RIP :sad: ) barked alot.

I also made sure that my house was noisy, noisy! Didn't want that kid waking up from the doorbell ringing. Now he could probably sleep through a grenade going off! :p

Prin
May 26th, 2005, 11:45 AM
Ok... I was wondering why nobody had mentioned the citronella collar... I thought they may have had some bad publicity that I missed...

Over-barking and emptying the citronella would be ok, since you'd be home to refill it. I don't know how expensive it is though.

And Kandy, I was hoping for a rhyme in there this morning.. Isn't Parker a barker? :)