Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hoarding: Weird Kitten behaviour

JDG
May 25th, 2005, 12:17 PM
Ok, I'm a bit of a slob - I admit it. But we had friends from Ontario over for the weekend, so I did a HUGE clean up before they came.

I am only now getting around to cleaning the aftermath of our weekend. . .(Lots of drinking and eating. . . it was all fun, and no one got hurt. . .haha)

So I'm cleaning around all the kittens toys (yes they have a big toy box) And I peered into the cardboard kitten gym and I found a whole statch of stuff that Marty has collected over the weekend. . .

- 8 pens
- 5 wrapped candies
- 1 bottle opener (heavy metal one!)
- 2 plastic 'shot glasses' (not used)
- 1 small tuperware container
- 2 hand towels
- 1 hair clip
- 6 foam nerf darts
- one of Colin's slippers

I know its Marty because we caught him hoarding pens a few weeks ago. . .

Does anyone else have a cat that does this?? We think its hilarious!!! Does anyone think its a bad behaviour, and something we should curb while he is still a kitten???

As a side note, its a good indicator to me that I need to clean up right away, and what things can't be left out. . . . (no more candies in the candy dish numero uno!)

We are very impressed with his loot! And have been trying to figure out why he picked the things he did. . . .

Weird little kitten!

Trinitie
May 25th, 2005, 12:34 PM
Start leaving money (paper bills) out and see if he collects them. Once he starts to do that, then you can start bringing him with you when you go visit friend's houses. Just think of the money!

Just kidding of course!!

It sounds absolutely cute. I don't think it's a problem if he's not chewing the wrappers or pens. At least you know where your stuff will end up!

CyberKitten
May 25th, 2005, 12:35 PM
Is he part Siamese? Siamese are noted hoarders. My YY loves the little tags you use to tie bags or other items and she will play for hours with them. I worry about the wire underneath them cutting her so I actually rounded up some plastic ones at the hospital and keep them for her. But every time I clean under my bed, I find a stash of her ties. She hoardes and hides them. Other than the metal issue, it does not concern me since Siamese are prominant and prolific in their hoarding and YY is living up to her heritage. :)

Sounds like yours may well be doing the same thing!

JDG
May 25th, 2005, 12:39 PM
Pheeewwwwwww. . .

CK, I don't think they are siamese. . .if they are, they don't look it! They are just good ol' Moggies!

Trinitie, thats a great idea - brings new meaning to 'cat burglar' ;) :crazy: :love:

april21h1
May 25th, 2005, 12:57 PM
both of my cats are hoaders but honey is the worst. one of her fav. places to stash things is under the couch. we have found small boxes, pens, toys, flyers and even a plastic bag,(i usually try my best to keep the plastic bags from her) the worst thing she goes after is boxes no matter what the size she will try to get in it. its sooooo funny to watch her trying to get into a smallbox :D

Safyre
May 25th, 2005, 10:43 PM
Haylee hoards socks.
She steals my step dad's socks nightly, meowing loudly as she prances ont hem and show off her 'find' to everyone. noe good thing about this behaviour, they end up in the basment where the landry goes anyways

JessXx
May 25th, 2005, 10:53 PM
Pepsi hoards plastic bags :confused:
Its normal

Prin
May 26th, 2005, 12:01 AM
My old rat was a hoarder.. Or do they call it nesting? She stole my homework one day and brought it into her cage. When I moved, I found a huge stash of stuff inside my box spring. Socks, pictures, paper, and change... Ever wonder where that lost sock is? Just find the stash. :)

Isisgoddess
May 27th, 2005, 09:43 AM
I think I have you all beat on the "cat burglar" issue.
Angelique stole a $20 bill and was already hiding it under the carpet by the time I caught up to her.

Caesar steals anything made of gold and hides it. He even pulled one of my 18K earrings off my ear when I was sleeping. He was also trying to shive it under the carpet by the time I caught up to him. Caesar also stole my boyfriend's entire wallet once and hid it somewhere (I don't remember where it was now).

Sable was going through the pockets of a pair of jeans that were left on the floor and stealing and hiding everything one item at a time.

In addition to all of this, they will steal pens, pencils, markers, hair elastics, eyeglasses and candies and hide them if they can before they are caught.

JDG
May 27th, 2005, 10:02 AM
Haylee hoards socks.

Minou (Marty's sister) was pulling colin's rank socks under the bed this morning - she love's his stink! :yuck: :yuck: She even sleeps on his gross sweaty paintball equipment :yuck: :yuck:

Isisgoddess, thats very funny - I'm glad my kitties aren't the only 'krazy kats' around here. . . .