Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dogs, cats, and a new baby...

heeler's rock!
May 25th, 2005, 11:09 AM
Okay, so as many of you know, we are expecting a baby boy in October. At the moment we have 3 cats and 3 dogs, but we don't know how long we'll have 3 cats for as we're trying to find a home for Nova who is picked on a lot by our male tabbies. Now, they've been doing better, so we may not even rehome her, it all just depends if a good home comes along. On top of that, we have a foster kitten who is separated right now in the baby's future room. Anyways, we hope to have the foster kitten integrated and out of that bedroom in a few weeks so we can start setting up. I just have a question to the moms on here with lots of animals. How do you keep pet hair from the baby's room? We're gonna keep the door closed at all times, but I might want the dogs in there with me, or the cats might slip in. Also, when I go to feed the baby, I'll most likely be covered in dog hair, so how do I curb that issue? Also, I need a really good vaccuum cleaner. Does anyone have any suggestions?

raingirl
May 25th, 2005, 11:52 AM
I think it would be best to just keep the dogs/cats out at all times to avoid dog hair.

We don't let Odin in the bedroom at all, and there is still dog hair on everything.

As for vacuums, we just bought an AMAZING vacuum. It's a dirt devil canister vac with a hepa filter. It has two attachments for the floors, a power head for carpets and such, and a floor head, which has a place for a swiffer cloth!! I'm trying to find a pic of it now. We got it at Costco for $139.

This is it:

http://www.dirtdevil.com/products/canisters/M082550.asp

Only ours is purple, and has the swiffer floor head. Not all of them come with the swiffer head, it was like a bonus, but it is amazing!

Hope this helps.

twinmommy
May 25th, 2005, 11:56 AM
Ditto!!

As for vacuums, we just bought an AMAZING vacuum. It's a dirt devil canister vac with a hepa filter. It has two attachments for the floors, a power head for carpets and such, and a floor head, which has a place for a swiffer cloth!! I'm trying to find a pic of it now. We got it at Costco for $139

Same one as I was going to suggest!! I love it!! As much as one can love a vaccuum!! :rolleyes:

My MIL says it also gets great mileage!!!(She uses it instead of a broom......hehehe :evil: )

heeler's rock!
May 25th, 2005, 12:02 PM
Thanks girls! :) We bought a Eureka vaccuum a year ago, and it's already crap due to so much vaccuuming! It shuts down after the living room, and then we have to wait for the motor to cool before going again. I want a tough vaccuum that can deal with all the pet hair, and I meant all of it! We vaccuum lots now, but when the baby comes, I'm gonna be super anal about it and probably vaccuum at least once a day. It has to be able to handle it.

Twinmommy, how do you deal with the pet hair and kids? I just wanna be sure the baby doesn't get allergies to the dogs or cats, as that would be HORRIFYING!! I think I'd die if I had to give them up. :(

Eleni
May 25th, 2005, 12:12 PM
i actually just dont allow the pets in the kids rooms,

especially the baby, my cats if given the choice would sleep in the crib and I dont want that.

I just always keep their bedroom doors closed and use a baby monitor if i deemed necessary

Eleni

heeler's rock!
May 25th, 2005, 12:50 PM
I just always keep their bedroom doors closed and use a baby monitor if i deemed necessary

I think that's gonna be my only option. I know my cats will wanna sleep in the baby's crib too, so I gotta be extra careful. Do you let them in when you're in there, or is that a no-no?

Eleni
May 25th, 2005, 12:55 PM
I found with my cats especially the youngest 2 its either I let them or I dont.

so they are never allowed in there.

they can sleep in my bedroom tho so they arent really missing anything

Eleni

heeler's rock!
May 25th, 2005, 01:29 PM
Okay, great! That's what I was planning to do, but I didn't wanna seem cruel. Our cats sleep with us too, so no big loss to them. Another quick question is do you ever bring the baby out to the living room to sleep or anything like that? We're thinking of getting a cool playpen that has an insert for babies that you can take anywhere and let them sleep in it. My fear is that if I bring baby out, the cat hair or dog hair might aggrevate him. Any insight?

Eleni
May 25th, 2005, 01:45 PM
play pens are actually made of a really great fabric, the fur comes off with a damp cloth usually. Ty sleeps for his napsin his playpen in the livingroom and hasnt had any trouble

Eleni

kandy
May 25th, 2005, 02:15 PM
I had a dirt devil, and it clogged up all the time with dog hair, the hair wouldn't even make it to the dust collector thingy. It would clog where the dirt gets sucked in on the bottom (really technical terms, I know) and I would have to take the roller off and use a screwdriver to clean it out. I have a hoover windtunnel right now, and it does better with the dog hair, but it fills up pretty quick so you have to empty the thing out every time before you vacuum. I really want a dyson vaccuum. They guarantee that it will never clog up and they have one that is designed for pet hair.

As far as babies and animals, I never had any cats when my son was a baby, but we did have dogs. He never developed any allergies (except a milk allergy) and he would take naps on the floor with the dogs if I didn't put him in his crib. I never saw a problem allowing the dogs into his room, but as I said, I didn't have any cats. Congratulations on the new baby! :party:

doggy lover
May 25th, 2005, 02:29 PM
I had two cats when I had my daughter, 18 years ago, god they grow fast. Anyways they were not allowed in the room, for any reason, we used a monator and kept the door closed. As for a vaccuum I have a tristar, that is over 12 years old. It has a filter ect and has outlasted our cats and my BMD X GSD who shed like crazy. I don't know if you can still get them in Canada but maybe in the US. I don't know if they went out of business here or what.

heeler's rock!
May 25th, 2005, 04:13 PM
Cool! I looked into a Dyson vac, and even though they cost a small fortune ($500.00 CDN on ebay, new), I'm gonna get one. It seems so cool! Such a great vacuum cleaner, and I see it as more of an investment than an expense. I want to be sure the baby is healthy and dog and cat hair everywhere can't be good for those little lungs! As the baby gets older, there'll be even more concern with the baby on the floors crawling and such. Best to invest in this now and save myself the cost of numerous vacuums down the road!

Also, I'm gonna keep the baby's room shut at all times to avoid any "hairy" situations. :p I'll use a good baby monitor and check in on him every hour or so. Do you have any suggestions for introducing the baby to the dogs and cats? I wanna make sure it goes as smoothly as possible.

moontamara
May 27th, 2005, 07:41 AM
Very interesting thread... These days, my husband and I are thinking about starting a family -- hopefully giving birth some time next year. His friends think that means we will have to get rid of Casey :eek: !!! They can't fathom having a pet and a baby at the same time. They mention his hair and noise, but he is a poodle and doesn't shed, and only barks when he is protecting our home. I wonder what they'd think about your situation, Heeler's Rock! I might bring that up next time they start pressuring us to get rid of Casey once we get pregnant!

BTW, super huge congratulations to you!!! When are you due?

BMDLuver
May 27th, 2005, 07:49 AM
The Dyson Vac is well worth the money. It comes highly recommended by the Berner community as it stands up to owning 4 Berners and vaccuming constantly.

We had the type of playpen you are mentioning, with the bed insert and it worked out great for our girls. Kept them up higher and allowed them to nap on our main floor where I could keep an eye on them while doing chores. I found the hair only seemed to stick around the leg area and would just use a brush to take it off and then give it a go with the vaccuum when I had it out.

As for hair clinging to you, I used to just put a different shirt on when feeding the girls, then when done, would just put the other one back on. A little hair won't hurt the baby, it never did my girls.

heeler's rock!
May 27th, 2005, 10:22 AM
That's awesome Moon!! It's such a great experience, and it seems scary at first, but now it's so amazing that in 4 months I'll have a baby boy to spoil!! :D

We're due on October 5th, but it's always up in the air with babies. They come when they want to! If we only had one dog, I think the in-laws would be okay with that, but 3 dogs and 3 cats, plus a foster cat, not to mention rabbits who live downstairs, we're pretty strapped. They're concerned about our finances and about the amount of time we'll be able to put into them once the baby comes. They are quite demanding, but we'll manage I'm sure. Yes, you can definitely tell your hubby's friends about us and how we couldn't dream of rehoming the pets! It's great for kids to grow up with animals and as my husband always says, "At least we won't have to worry about him asking us for a dog!" :p :o My major worry is him being allergic to animals. Hubby and his family are all allergic to cats, but hubby's gotten used to them over the years as my mom has a cat. His sister can't even be around them for 10 mins. without coughing, sneezing, and getting a bad rash. She loves our cats though, but can't handle being around them. I hope Jr. doesn't inherit that! That would be devastating.

BMD, thanks for your input on the vacuum cleaner and the playpen! We are for sure getting both of those as it will be easier to keep an eye on baby when I'm in the living room. Luckily our house is just 2 floors, main and basement so the baby's room is never far away. I'm so glad to hear of others making it work with babies and animals, and although I have 6 critters to watch around the baby, I'm sure we'll be fine. :) Thanks so much to everyone for your thoughts and help!! :o

nymph
May 27th, 2005, 01:42 PM
I think I read on this board that installing a screen door would keep all the pet hair out of the baby room.

For a good vacuum, I did some research before getting my pup Diego, I would recommend the following based on my own research and my home (hardwood/ceramic on main, carpet on 2nd floor, unfinished basement):

-A roomba: a small robotic vacuum that does the job on its own, many reviews on Amazon.com
-A Miele Silver Moon or Blue Moon canistor vacuum, a friend of mine actually bought a green Miele and she just fell in love with it. Kenmore makes imitation vacuums that resemble the original Miele, but I don't know if the quality is just as good.

Both are pricey but are definitely worth it.

Princesss04
May 27th, 2005, 02:51 PM
I think I read on this board that installing a screen door would keep all the pet hair out of the baby room.

For a good vacuum, I did some research before getting my pup Diego, I would recommend the following based on my own research and my home (hardwood/ceramic on main, carpet on 2nd floor, unfinished basement):

-A roomba: a small robotic vacuum that does the job on its own, many reviews on Amazon.com
-A Miele Silver Moon or Blue Moon canistor vacuum, a friend of mine actually bought a green Miele and she just fell in love with it. Kenmore makes imitation vacuums that resemble the original Miele, but I don't know if the quality is just as good.

Both are pricey but are definitely worth it.

Your house sounds like mine. All hard wood on the main floor carpet on all the second floor and unfinished basement that is going to be a den! :D

chico2
May 27th, 2005, 03:55 PM
Heeler,I believe the sooner the baby gets used to the animal-hair,the lesser the chances are he'll be allergic.I do not mean for the cats to sleep with him,but animal-hair in the house.
I read that here in Canada we have an epedemic of allergies and asthma,mostly due to babies/childrens sterile upbringing and it's true,I've never heard of so many people allergic to this and that as here in Canada.
A little dose of everyday living will get the babies immunsystem working and stave off any allergies,most of the time.

moontamara
May 27th, 2005, 05:51 PM
Heeler,I believe the sooner the baby gets used to the animal-hair,the lesser the chances are he'll be allergic.I do not mean for the cats to sleep with him,but animal-hair in the house.
I read that here in Canada we have an epedemic of allergies and asthma,mostly due to babies/childrens sterile upbringing and it's true,I've never heard of so many people allergic to this and that as here in Canada.
A little dose of everyday living will get the babies immunsystem working and stave off any allergies,most of the time.

Yes, I've heard that too. On the other hand, I am an allergy sufferer myself and developed allergies to dogs when I was young, while our family had two dogs. :confused:

I guess it is best to play it by ear and hope for the best.

twinmommy
May 27th, 2005, 08:47 PM
Twinmommy, how do you deal with the pet hair and kids?

You mean 2 of my kids DON'T have fur???!!! %#^#$&%

lol!! Just kidding!! Make your life easier now, if you haven't already, rip up your carpets--that way when you do vaccuum, you'll be getting ALL the hair up which is really the key to not breathing it in.

If that's not feasible, at least try to make sure that where people sleep is not carpet(ted?) because that is another important factor.

Sneaky2006
May 28th, 2005, 01:23 AM
Mine is the opposite of nymph's house, I have carpet on the first floor, hardwood on the second. I can't reccomend any kind of vacuum because I have yet to find one that does best with both kinds of flooring. I love my vacuum for the carpet (just a eureka canister vac)... but on the hardwood, even on the lowered setting, it just sucks dirt in the front and blows it out the back. :confused: I HATE that!!!!!

chico2
May 28th, 2005, 06:48 AM
Yes,carpets are the worst when you have animals,my whole house is has woodfloors,except the livingroom and it's about to go,old hardwood underneath.
I vaccum about once a month :eek: hate vaccuming,as do the cats...the Swiffer Dry does an excellent job,quick and easy and noiseless :D
If hard-wood is too expensive,an alternative is Laminate,easily installed,does not scratch from claws and very reasonably priced!

Writing4Fun
May 28th, 2005, 09:19 AM
We ripped all our carpet out when our first baby showed signs of asthma. Have I mentioned that I love my doctor? Most would have said, "Get rid of the pets first, we'll see if that helps." My doctor said, "Get rid of all the carpets first, if that doesn't help, then we'll talk about the pets." We went with laminate on the main floor & landing and parquet in the bedrooms (we already had ceramic tile in the kitchen & bathrooms). I think laminate floors are the absolute best when it comes to pets! My sister couldn't afford ceramic tile in her kitchen (she'd need to replace all her subflooring :eek: ), so she went with the laminate that looks like tile. It looks great, and it's way sturdier than linoleum(sp?). :thumbs up

Chico, I also firmly believe that people are a little nuts these days with sterilizing their children. Both of my kids have been getting kisses from the dogs since the day they were born (while I watched other moms wince). They play in the dirt, pet the cat, and I certainly don't Lysol their toys after each play session! :crazy:

LavenderRott
May 28th, 2005, 10:42 AM
WOW. This is actually kind of fascinating. It never occured to me to try to keep the animal hair away from my kids. I don't think I even always vacuumed the floor before putting a toddler down to play.

OK. I HATE animal hair on the stove. Just as much as I hate people hair in the bathroom sink.

Personnally, I think kids these days (except mine) are entirely to sterilized nowdays. Nobody worried about any of these things when I was young and I am fine. Well, I do have hayfever.

Oh, the rottie community loves the Dyson, too.

mona_b
May 28th, 2005, 12:00 PM

I really have to agree with this.I have heard recently(wish I can remember where)that babies raised in homes with pets are less likely to have allergies.And when I think about it,I find this true.My first GSD was 4 when my daughter was born.And you all know how much they shed. :rolleyes: I kept up with Cujos hair as much as I could.Cujo always came with me into my daughters room.He would actually sleep beside her crib.And if she was sleeping in the playpen,or blankets on the floor,he was right there beside her.And then I inherited my moms kitten when my daughter was about 4.My sister has 4 kids.She had cats and dogs before they were born.They are all teenagers and no allergies.This goes for all my friends who have had pets in the house before the kids where born.None of their kids have ever had allergies to pets. :)

Schwinn
June 1st, 2005, 11:57 AM
I'm going to add my voice to those who heard that it is actually a good thing to expose the kids to the animals. I know we aren't too worried about it (two cats and a dog), and Cheryl bought a couple of these screen things that go over the play pen and the crib to keep the animals out. As for the room, we aren't worried about the dog, but we've been using a baby gate to keep the cats out since we don't want them jumping in the crib. It's worked so far.

nymph
June 1st, 2005, 12:29 PM
Word of caution: the theory that exposing babies to more germs reduces allergy symptoms is still under debate, very few conclusive clinical studies on HUMANS have been conducted, so far it is still a theory, but it sounds right to me. Perhaps someone with more knowledge on this field would be able to provide more insights.

These methods would reduce risk of allergies:
-Breastfeeding for at least 6 months
-Probiotics
-Avoid smoking or avoid exposing babies to smokes

Schwinn
June 2nd, 2005, 10:34 AM
-Avoid smoking

I'm a firm believer that babies should avoid smoking...the pack of smokes never folds up right in thier jumper sleeves...

babyrocky1
June 3rd, 2005, 05:38 PM
Ive heard they should cut down on their alcohol consumption as well LOL the babies I mean. Seriously though, yes this is just anecdotal evidence but my daughter has had long haired cats around since she was four years old and she is allergic to absolutely nothing. We had our permanent three persion cats since she was four years old and when she got older she managed to find more strays all the time, so sometimes we would have seven kittens and cats without problems.