Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Tigger is old and his health is failing

tiggersmom
May 25th, 2005, 08:46 AM
My wonderful best friend Tigger the cat is 16 years old and his health is failing. Over the last 3 months he has lost 8lbs and now only weighs 7lbs. The vet said that he is in renal failure. While Tigger has lost a lot of weight he still eats, plays and purrs. He however does not groom himself (I do it for him every night). My question is when do I make the decission to put hime down, how do I know if he is suffering? Please help he is my best friend and I do not want him to suffer (I have had him since he was 6 weeks old) :(

Eleni
May 25th, 2005, 09:06 AM
cats mask pain really well, they can be in pain and you never would know it half the time.

Id say if he became less playful and loss of apetite would be good clues that his time has come.

also when a cat is doing well they have kind of a spunky look to their eyes, if he looks depressed, he may be suffering.

you know your cat well im sure you will be able to tell when hes just ready to go peacefully.

Its hard, and im sorry you ahve to go thru this, I wish you luck

Eleni

Trinitie
May 25th, 2005, 09:09 AM
I'm so sorry to hear that your baby isn't well. It sounds to me as though he's still a happy boy, who is enjoying the time you have left together.

You'll know when is the right time, if you need to step in, by how he's acting. You say now that he's still purring and acting happy. If he starts to act as though he's in pain, or not having the quality of life he normally does, then you'll know. You obviously love him very much, as we can clearly see, and you'll just know what to do. Perhaps you'll be spared the heartbreaking decision and he'll just keep purring. I do hope that's the case.

All our thoughts are with you.

Beaglemom
May 25th, 2005, 09:55 AM
One of the hardest things of pet ownership is making that final decision. I truly feel your pain as we have just made that horrible decision recently.

You will know when it is time. When your precious Tigger's quality of life has diminished and there is nothing more that can be done to ease his pain, you will know that it is time.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your furbaby. :grouphug:

kandy
May 25th, 2005, 10:56 AM
When our Lacey was diagnosed with total renal failure and had to be PTS, I did lots of research on renal failure (she was only 18 months old) although it was on dogs and not cats. One thing I did find was that you can tell if a dog with kidney problems is in pain because they will kind of slump their hips instead of standing with their back and hips straight up. After I found that bit of information, I realized that Lacey had been keeping her hips down for quite a while. It apparently helps the animal to ease the pain. As I said, I don't know if the same applies to cats or not. My best wishes to you and Tigger - it's so hard to lose a pet, no matter what their age.

Rumpleteaser
May 25th, 2005, 01:57 PM
Oh, I am so sorry. I know how you feel. My cat is 17, and has had several major health problems in the last year. I feel with each problem she is preparing me for her passing, as I know it will come fairly soon.

Sometimes I think losing a beloved pet that you have had that long is more heart wrenching than losing a relationship with anyone else in your life. But time marches on, and we must deal with reality.

I hope you have plenty more time with Tigger. Love him well during that time: spend lots of time with him. The memories will help you later.

Karen

tiggersmom
May 27th, 2005, 01:38 PM
Thank you all for your wonderful advise. I guess I am selfish but at this time I can not bring myself to put him to sleep, so as long as he is eating, playing, drinking and using the litter box and doesnot appear to be in any pain we will continue to love him as always. I will keep everyone posted as to his condition.

This is a wonderful web site! I just found it the day I posted about my friend, everyone is so nice and helpful :thumbs up

wjranch
May 27th, 2005, 02:39 PM
:sorry: I'm so sorry to hear about Tigger... I have been in your shoes, and know it is very difficult.. You want to do what is best and most humane for your best friend, only they can't speak to you to let you know when they're ready.. All I can suggest is that you know him the best, so keep looking in his eyes, he'll tell you in his own way, if you listen..
Enjoy the time you have left with him, and let him enjoy your company too.... it's very precious time.

HUGS to you and Tigger :grouphug:

chico2
May 27th, 2005, 04:19 PM
I had a cat,Peppi,who lived to be 17,he also lost most of his weight,he was diabetic....the day I decided it was time,he had no interest in food and would find a place to lay where he was undisturbed.I realized he was doing this because he was ready to go.It's never easy,but we have to do what's right for them,not us..
However,it sounds to me your Tigger still has some fight in him and is enjoying life.My Peppi crashed and I wish I had not waited that long :sad: