Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

sassy 4 yr old

Eleni
May 25th, 2005, 08:40 AM
So this morning im getting the kids geared up to come walk the dog with me.

my 4yr old Hope, takes issue with this and decides to be non compliant the conversation went as follows.

me: Hope, please put your coat on
Hope: NO, i dont want to
*I persist to struggle with putting her coat on her*
me: Hope, please put your shoes on
Hope: NO I dont want to
Me: put them on or ill put them on you
*Hope puts her shoes on but cries the whole time*

Me: Hope hold your brothers hand please
Hope: no I dont want too

Me: fine Ill hold his hand and push the stroller and hold the dog, lets go.

we get outside

Me: Hope, your in a bad mood maybe you should nap this afternoon
Hope: Mom your a pain in the butt

I proceed to gather everyone up and go inside fuming

Hope: mom can we go outside.

ok can I bang my head against a brick wall now. when did my sweet lil girl become a sassy monster, heres looking forward to naptime.

Eleni

Blaze01
May 25th, 2005, 08:48 AM
Have you ever heard of a sassy chair?
My mom didnt beleive in physical punishment so instead when we were sassy or just plain evil she would have this awful hard backed wooden chair we would have to sit on...it worked wonders. Kinda like crate training a puppy. If she threated us with the sassy chair we did what we were suppose to do and that was the end of it. Kinda like a time out but you sit in the chair and you cant do anything. Since you daughter is four about four minutes everytime she is sassy that is where she goes and for how long. She cant do anything but sit there and lot at the wall. No toys, singing, humming and dont talk to her until the four minutes is over.
My mom threated me with the sassy chair a few days ago and it still makes me be quite and not so ill.
Just wait until she is a teenager!

Eleni
May 25th, 2005, 08:51 AM
I put her in the corner, a few minutes in the corner normally solves her attitude, however today she's in one of those moods.

I think only a nap will cure her,

I gotta say I dred the teen years with her, she is by far the moodiest of my 3, and she has no problems with voicing her tantrums and taking the consequeces, very strong willed little girl.

Lizzie
May 25th, 2005, 11:08 AM
I'm glad to hear you came back inside. We never got away with any of that stuff when I was little---and plain didn't do it more than the one try.

If we were misbehaving, the fun was over---for mom and kids. It's really the only way to learn....you've got to show them who's the boss.

Children should not be allowed to speak to adults like that...I'm happy to hear you took action!!!

kandy
May 25th, 2005, 01:50 PM
I think little kids have to test the boundaries every once in a while just to see if any of them have changed. I know my son would go through a short period once every couple of years where he was just a butt! Be thankful that she is strong willed though - she'll be less likely to worry about peer pressure and more likely to lead than follow - of course, if she leads everyone else into trouble too, then it might be a bad thing! :D Hang in there, it does get better!

Writing4Fun
May 25th, 2005, 02:05 PM
Sorry, Eleni, but your story just made me LOL. I can so totally sympathise with you - my little ones are 5 1/2 years and 19 months. The 19 month old has discovered the word "No!" and how to pout/scowl. He also has a heck of a throwing arm when he's ticked about something. The 5 1/2 year old has picked up some choice vocabulary from his 15 year old cousin. :rolleyes: Nothing bad, it's just hard to take a teen-age attitude from a 5yr old. I watch those kiddy shows where the little ones answer, "Yes, Mommy" and "Thank you, Mommy" and I wonder where those days went, as my little guy gives me "Yeah, riiiight!" and "You're not the boss of me!" (ummm, yes I am! :evil: ). I even get attitude from the cat once in a while. About the only one around here who doesn't give me lip is the dog! :p

Bearsmom
May 25th, 2005, 02:08 PM
I so TOTALLY sympathize with you, Eleni! My two year old has been upstairs for 2 hours, yapping away in his crib. I'm ready to SCREAM because when he sleeps is the only time I can get anything done around here.

He's been all attitude this morning, took him to the park, hoping he'd get tired, he threw sand at me, so off we went home (can't really do a time out in the park), then, when I was changing him, he kicked me in the throat. Needless to say, I'm not a happy camper

Must be the weather.

Princesss04
May 25th, 2005, 02:09 PM
Dogs are good about that! THey love you no matter what! We grew up saying yes mam, no sir, etc. So that was something I am use to and will make my kids do it. I knew if we back talked than we were getting the belt. Still remeber those days! :D

Writing4Fun
May 25th, 2005, 02:38 PM
We grew up saying yes mam, no sir, etc. So that was something I am use to and will make my kids do it.
LOL! Yeah, we grew up that way too, but somehow, it just isn't rubbing off on my kids! And I'm not one of those "new age, enlightened" moms who never raises her voice and tries to reason with a screaming two year old. I'm pretty sure I've raised more than a couple of eyebrows amongst the neighbors. But, kids are a completely different breed these days. Evolution, I suppose. Or maybe it's TV and video games (although my oldest started giving me lip long before he was playing video games or watching anything that wasn't on Treehouse TV :rolleyes: ). They just don't respond the way they used to.

Bearsmom - the weather? I blame it on the moon. My kids, my sister's kids, her neighbor's kids, all seem to loose their minds in the few days before, during and after a full moon. :evil:

kandy
May 25th, 2005, 02:45 PM
My favorite comeback for when my son was giving me attitude was that it was my job to make his life a living hell until he moved out of the house. :evil: Of course, I only used that one after he was a teenager. I do remember when he learned to say no - and that was all he said for a long time! Sometimes he screamed it at me, and other times he would be looking at something that he knew he wasn't supposed to touch, and would be chanting, no, no, no - shaking his head at the same time. It was really funny!