Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cats on counters, good, bad or indifferent

Eleni
May 25th, 2005, 06:05 AM
Just curious about what everyone feels about cats on countertops, tables, etc.

my cats personally are allowed on top of teh fridge and thats it, no countertops or tables allowed.

I basically dont allow them anyplace food might touch.

they get fed in the hallway as well. so they very rarely come in the kitchen.
they do lounge on the dining room chairs, but they dont go up to the table otherwise they get greeted with the spritz bottle of water.

my mom thinks im anal about this, so im curious if other people allow it or dont.

BMDLuver
May 25th, 2005, 06:09 AM
While I don't allow the cat to be on the table or countertops, it doesn't produce an Eww if she does get up there. So wasn't really sure how to vote, lol.

Eleni
May 25th, 2005, 06:10 AM
Ill add an option for you, dinnt think of that

ah seems I dont know how to add a new option

ELeni

LavenderRott
May 25th, 2005, 07:13 AM
While my cat doesn't generally get on the counter, he used to love sleeping on the dining room table. Since nothing I did could keep him off when I was out or sleeping, it was something we lived with. Kind of like dog hair on the couch.

JDG
May 25th, 2005, 07:32 AM
My cats aren't allowed on the kitchen table or on the counters . . . .we live in an open concept appartment, so I don't have a door on my kitchen - if they jump onto my counter that is were my elements are! :eek:

Good thing I never use them, I'm a crappy cook. :p

We set boundaries on day one and we have not had a single problem with table and counters. . .

Beaglemom
May 25th, 2005, 07:43 AM
We've never had a problem with any of the cats that we have owned jumping on counters. Our current cat doesn't like to eat anything besides her regular food so never counter surfs.

We have occasionally found her lying in the middle of the table sunning herself though. She isn't allowed to do this and is immediately placed on the floor or on our laps for a snuggle. She is spoiled rotten! Her food is on her own little table to stay out of the dog's reach and even that she expects you too pick her up and place her by her food bowl. If you are not looking, then she will jump up on her own!

If she were to jump up on the counters though, we see this a no-no. Too many things up there that can hurt her. Especially if the stove elements are on.

honeybee4
May 25th, 2005, 07:48 AM
My cats get feed on the counter cause that is the only place I can put the food where the dog won't eat it. I have tried putting it other places and also try to feed them when he is outside, just doesn't work, especially considering they constantly have to have food in their dish or they are crying continuously until they have at least one piece in there. They don't sleep on the counter just get up there to eat and then they are back down, at least when I am home. Heaven only know what they do when no one is there. They do not get on the table though. The both sleep either in the chair in the living room or they each have one end on the back of the couch.

april21h1
May 25th, 2005, 08:08 AM
the cat food has to be in the bath tub because it is the only place we can put it where the dog won't eat it. the cats are not allowed on the kitchen counter but they get up on the bathroom counter to drink from the sink when we are using the bathroom. i guess they figure that we only go in there to "water" them :D
fu the youngest kitty loves water, he will dig water anywhere including the dogs water dish, or from melted snow on the floor. our bathtub drips which means usually fu will come to be at night half soaked. i have never had a cat that loved water so much. :confused:

Princesss04
May 25th, 2005, 09:22 AM
I do not want them on the table or the counter tops but they are still so little we are just now starting the process of teaching them. Which is so not working good because they are like whatever I am so getting up there. They are rotten. They look at us when we make a loud noise to get them off like that so does not bother us what else do you have. LOL :D Cats will be cats and that means cats will do what they want when they want. :D

heidiho
May 25th, 2005, 10:06 AM
My family always let our cats go wherever they want,my mom and dad have steak every sunday and the cat jumps right up on the kithcen table they give her a few pieces of steak,she eats then jumps off the table.........Our pets always had free run of house........ :eek:

CyberKitten
May 25th, 2005, 10:29 AM
I don't want my cat on the counters for hygenic reasons but b/c she KNOWS she is not supposed to go there, of course she does it. I don't really like squirting water at my baby or the sphinxes either so that is one area we are still working on - a work in progress, lol I have no doubt she does go there when I am away but in the end, I clean them extremely well so I do not worry all that much about it. I mean, this is a cat who sleeps with me - how dirty can she be??? Plus if she does get her paws really dirty, I wash them. One of the challenges I have is that there are windows she can access through the kitchen table and cupboards so when I am backing out of the driveway, I can see her little face peeking out the window. (I feel so guilty when I have to leave them, sighhh!) Most recently, I am having work done on my house and her nosiness has been in quite the dither to make certain she misses NOTHING, lol

Dahlia
May 25th, 2005, 12:40 PM
I voted that I have no cats, but just wanted to add that when I did have cats they were not allowed on the countertops or table. I don't want to have to wipe cat hair off of those surfaces every time I get ready to put food there. I never really had a problem with them trying to get up there either. They liked the rocking chair in the living room and the top bunk of the kids' bed.

But my step mom feeds her cat on the counter to keep the dog from getting his food. :yuck:

doggy lover
May 25th, 2005, 02:03 PM
My cats food is on the counter as Tucker would eat it otherwise. One of my cats only drinks out of a dripping faucet so what can you do, she is a barn cat and has always done it?

Jackie467
May 25th, 2005, 02:49 PM
My cat is not allowed on any counter tops or table tops. The only table she is allowed on is the one in the laundry room that her food is on (only place the dogs can't get it). I taught her at a very early age that this is a no no. Of course you can still catch her up there at night when your not looking :rolleyes: but we just put her back on the floor with a firm no when. It doesn't really stop her becaue of course we're not up all night to be consistant but she doesn't do it in front of us. I guess what I don't know won't hurt me right? lol. :p

Shamrock
May 25th, 2005, 03:25 PM
I was looking for the option that said " I dont allow them, but they do it anyway.. ;)
I voted I dont allow.
Actually, I'd been rather "spoiled" up until 3 months ago - my two persians never go on counters,very pleasing quality. They're not climbers or jumpers,

But my newest boy Zack really makes up for it. He is into and on top of everything, high or low. He knocks things over on a regular basis, walks on all the counters, and sometimes jumps up on the table - while we are eating! (what are you guys having tonight?) ewww.... :sick:
He not only goes on the counters.. he gets in them if he can.
Recently, I heard a tinkling sound... then it became a clatter. It was Zack... stuffed in my dish cupboard.. everything was wobbling and rattling.. he is a big boy, and could scarcely move. Why'd he do it? ( because its there...)
I do try to deter this unsanitary behaviour, but so far...he ignores me. :D

JessXx
May 26th, 2005, 12:48 AM
I dont allow Pepsi on the table but when the dogs are in we let her go on this one counter that we have thats seperate from the other ones, to eat. so yea :)
Other than that I dont let her stand on the table.

happycats
May 26th, 2005, 06:49 AM
Counters are a "no no" for my cats, but my one guy Sega, likes to sneak up just after dinner to see if there is anything worth stealing! :eek: I fixed him one day though. Just after serving dinner, I cleared the counters and soaked them in water, soooo while we are eating, sure enough we hear water splashing, and a "bump" jump to the floor, and there is Sega ears back giving me the dirtiest look :evil: .
As for feeding cats on the counter because of dogs, we feed cats on the dryer in the laundry room! Now we just put a kitty door in the work room where the cats food and litter are, so no dogs can get in (we did that when we were dog sitting for a friend)

Rita
May 26th, 2005, 09:57 AM
We try to stop the Boyz from going onto the countertops ... Sam jumps onto to the counter just to get to the kitchen window .... if he starts to walk across the counter then we pick him up and put him on the floor with a firm "no Sam" ... sometimes it works :rolleyes: Pippin likes to sleep on the kitchen table :evil: anytime we see him we tell him "no" and he'll get down. We have no idea what they do or where they go while we're at work tho :eek:

Copper'sMom
May 26th, 2005, 10:14 AM
OOPS! I accidentally voted yes when I shouldn't have! My vote should have been NO!!!!

I have one cat who jumps up on the counter all of the time only because his previous owner allowed him to do so. He was a shop cat, and always sat on the front counter or anywhere else he pleased. To him, my kitchen counter is no different than the shop counter except on my counter, there may be food on it! :evil: Needless to say, we can never leave food unattended on the counter - even unwashed dishes! His favorite has to be a frying pan with grease left in it. I left it out one night, and the next morning the pan was spotless! :eek: :yuck:

And mokey-see-monkey-do, one other cat has followed in Bud's footsteps, George! Although, he doesn't do it nearly as much!

arrow
June 4th, 2005, 01:05 PM
xm... I dont allow them to jump on the table for hygienic reasons.... the table and counters are no place for a cat... they did jump on the table a couple of occassions but I clapped my hands and they got off immediately.... I keep the kitchen door closed and I feed them in one room only so they know if they want food they have to go there. I do let them to run around the house but I prefer them not to go in the bedrooms and kitchen.

Of course as soon as they see a door open they sneek in! :D

lilith_rizel
June 4th, 2005, 01:30 PM
My sister allowed he cats to be wherever they pleased, and now that we have them, I have been trying to break that habbit. The are only allowed on the table, which we don't use anyways, we eat in the livingroom :rolleyes: . So the table usually have bills or something on it. Morgan hasn't gotten on a counter except for once, but Spooks still gets up there every chance he can get, and he darts down, as soon as he knows that we have spotted him. He usually tries to get away with it while we are watching a movie. We have a clear shot into the kitchen from the couch, so he tries to hide beside the fridge, where we can see him, but he always forgets he has a tail that we spot 90% of the time.....

twinmommy
June 4th, 2005, 09:10 PM
I have one GOOD cat, one BAD cat, and they are BOTH pretty indifferent.

They don't go up on the counters cuz they don't want to.

They told me to say this. ;)

heh heh heh :D

BeagleMum
June 5th, 2005, 08:11 AM
I think that it is gross when cats get on the counter. They were just walking and digging in their poop box then walking where I put my food. YUK