Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hi! I Love It Here

newdad
May 24th, 2005, 11:12 PM
I have had my new puppy for a very short time, but I have noticed that everyone here seems to really care about their own pets, and everyone elses. It seems like a great community and I am glad I found it.

My puppy is 6 weeks old, it is a retreiver lab cross, I have attached a picture of her, I have alot of questions for everyone here, but I will look for the proper forums to ask them in.

Ian

BMDLuver
May 25th, 2005, 04:42 AM
Welcome! Your pup is adorable.

happycats
May 25th, 2005, 06:44 AM
WELCOME! What a cute puppy you have, keep the pictures coming! :)

pupyluv668
May 25th, 2005, 07:22 AM
wow! cuddlly little pooch!!! welcome and enjoy the company here!!!

Lucky Rescue
May 25th, 2005, 08:55 AM
HI! You're right - we care about everyone's pets here.:)

Your puppy is TOO cute!!

newdad
May 25th, 2005, 10:36 AM
Thank you! This forum is great. I am having troubles pulling myself away from "now my dog is a pitbull and has to die" it's heartbreaking, I never even realized that there were situations like this happening.

I will post MANY more pictures onto this site, to the point that you will be begging me to stop.....

Ian

kandy
May 25th, 2005, 11:45 AM
Welcome to the Board! Cute pup! I was just wondering why he's already gone from his mom if he's only 6 weeks?

newdad
May 25th, 2005, 11:54 AM
I was told that she could leave the mother at 6 weeks, was that incorrect?

Beaglemom
May 25th, 2005, 12:32 PM
Welcome to the Board! What an adorable puppy! Please do keep those pictures coming. Everyone on the board loves pictures!

Normally a pup should stay with its mom until 8 weeks old. At 6 weeks, they are still learning proper doggy behaviour from its mom and siblings. I too had a dog at 6 weeks. We had another dog in the house that was able to help her learn to be a dog. We also had to be extra cautious with her socialization. She turned out great in the end, but was a lot of work. The first few months of life are very critical for a puppy to get the proper socialization to prevent behaviour problems in the future. I'm sure you will find a lot of good advice from the people on this board to help you through this.

JDG
May 25th, 2005, 12:35 PM
Hi welcome to the board! Your puppy is darling! Whats his name??

I love this place too!! I've learned so much about my kitty cats!

Usually kittens and puppies leave mom at 8 weeks earliest. . . that about when most young'uns have finished weaning. . . .

newdad
May 25th, 2005, 01:45 PM
Our puppies name is Tasha, I am somewhat aggrevated that the lady sold her to me so early, she told me that the puppies could leave the mom at 6 weeks, I would have had no problem waiting another 2 weeks if it would have helped my puppy adjust.

doggy lover
May 25th, 2005, 02:05 PM
Hi you have a beautiful pup, hope you enjoy the forum

mona_b
May 25th, 2005, 08:21 PM
Welcome to our pets.ca family.

What a cutie patootie you have there.... ;)

What you need to realize is that BYB's (backyard breeders) only do it for the money.You did pay over $300 for her right?I would say that was a high price for a mixed breed..They want the pups gone as soon as possible.And if she new anything about pupppies,she would have known that they should not leave the mom before 8 weeks.Heck,even my SPCA knows this.They stay in foster care till they are 8 weeks and adoptable.My breeder didn't let her pups go till they were 12 weeks old.

We NEVER beg people to stop posting pics...... :D

newdad
May 25th, 2005, 08:47 PM
I figured that maybe she gave me a cheap price because of my friend, but now I am starting to wonder....Too bad, I was thinking about picking up one of Tasha's brothers off of her too!

Lucky Rescue
May 25th, 2005, 10:27 PM
I was thinking about picking up one of Tasha's brothers off of her too!

I really hope you don't! Aside from the fact that raising siblings is very difficult and not recommended, 350$ for a mixed breed intact puppy is outrageous and a big rip off. I don't suppose the cost of spaying is included in that? It should be.

The problem here is now this person thinks they can make big bucks peddling mutts, and may continue to do it.

With 12,000 homeless Labs and lab mixes on Petfinder alone (probably another 12000 not listed) breeding Lab mutts for bucks just awful, irresponsible and careless, never mind peddling them at 6 weeks:(

Many of these dogs are purebreds and probably not one is 350$ AND even if they are, they are spayed and neutered and up to date with shots - all included.

I"m glad your Tasha got a good home anyway. She's one of the lucky ones!

Princesss04
May 26th, 2005, 10:28 AM
Welcome! We are glad you came and joined us here! I love your fur babies sweet face! More pictures please! Welcome once again looking forward to getting to know you and your fur baby better! :D