Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hubby's not that happy (LONG sorry)

lilith_rizel
May 24th, 2005, 06:59 PM
Well, I got to the soldier show, parked the car, got Judith, and what happend, I locked the diaper bag in the car, which had my purse in it, which also has my house keys, and car keys in them! I know I'm not supposed to drive, but it was only a few blocks, and I have had an instruction permit for 3 years now.... So now I am at a friends house, James is upset with me, I can't get into my house, I can't go shopping, because I don't have my military ID, I can't even check my mail, because the key for my mailbox is in the diaperbag too.

Worst part of it all, my friend is in the hospital, and it is only her husband here. I mean, Ralph is a friend of mine too, I just feel so horrible, and that I am in his way all the time. Not to mention, I have nothing for Judith, so they are letting me use things that are for their unborn child.

And James won't pick up his cell phone, he actually turned it off, so I don't know if it is because he is that upset with me, or if he is doing something work related. I am praying it is the second one.

Tomorrow Jen is supposed to be coming home, so then her, Ralph and I are going to firgure out what to do. Right now, James and I don't have the money to pay for a lock-smith, and from the sounds of it, they don't either. I have tried calling my mom for the past hour, and no one is home, and the answering machine is full.

It seems like everything is just getting worse. I was so upset with myself that I didn't even stay for the soldier show. And called Ralph to come and get me.

Jackie467
May 24th, 2005, 08:06 PM
thats awful. Tomas my SO just did that last week while we were out of town no less. He locked the keys in the trunk and we had to make the 2 hour drive home. We ended up getting a lock smith to come pop the lock, it cost $35 and only took like a second. I can't believe they charge you that much just to use a slim jim to pop the lock and it left a scuff mark on my window which I was not happy about. It sounds like your going to have to get a lock smith, there really isn't any other option. Good luck.

Prin
May 24th, 2005, 11:12 PM
Eek! That sucks. You don't have AAA over there?

Sneaky2006
May 25th, 2005, 04:57 AM
Eek! That sucks. You don't have AAA over there?I was going to say the same thing! I would get it now if you can incase something like that happens again. $75 (or whatever the cost is, I don't remember) may seem like a lot but it's for the whole year!
Doesn't any of your friends have it??? As long as the person with the AAA card is there with the car, it shouldn't be a prob.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 25th, 2005, 06:47 AM
It happens I've done it with my older son when he was two and hubby was furious the teenagers accross the street broke into my car for me. We now have a keypad on our van so its not that big of a deal. Other vehicle doesnt hubby locked his keys in at the golf course one day so I had to drive an 45 min each way to give him their spare set.

Bearsmom
May 25th, 2005, 06:51 AM
Lilith-call your local fire department (don't use 911-hahaha), explain to them where your husband is, the fact that no one else has keys, and that you're kind of in dire straits. They'll usually send a truck around to help you out. We do it all the time.

Shhhhhhh. :D

Princesss04
May 25th, 2005, 09:38 AM
Lilith I did this one day and I was not sure who to call did not have a phone book with me so I called the poilce department. For a girl most of the time they will come out and open it and plus you have a baby! I offered to pay them but they would not take anything. Is there no one on the base that has somethign to open the car with. I am sure out of all the army stuff they have someone that can do it for a army wife with a baby!

Although you should not have been driving dear! Very dangerous if you do not have a license. :D

raingirl
May 25th, 2005, 09:42 AM
What type of car do you have and I can tell you have to unlock it. I'm kinda sneaky that way...I can unlock most cars without keys in a few seconds...

Eleni
May 25th, 2005, 09:44 AM
Id have honestly broken the window to get into the car.

But i can be a bit impatient in emergency situations

Eleni

Princesss04
May 25th, 2005, 09:45 AM
What type of car do you have and I can tell you have to unlock it. I'm kinda sneaky that way...I can unlock most cars without keys in a few seconds...

Raingirl can you really that is cool! :D

raingirl
May 25th, 2005, 09:50 AM
Yeah...it's really not that hard. All cars have basically the same locking mechanisms. As soon as I know the car type, I just do a few searches to find out where the mechanism is..

Most you can hook either from the window and down the slot between window and door, others (more newer cars) you can hook from the bottom of the door underneath the car. Some you can even do if you have a wide enough gap where the door hits the body.

kandy
May 25th, 2005, 09:57 AM
I've locked my keys in my car more times than I care to remember! My son seems to have inherited the same inclination! When I had my grand am, I locked my keys in it and called the Sheriff's department (the local police won't open them for you) and it took him almost an hour to break into my car. I was almost to the point of asking if he had anybody more "experienced" with this sort of thing in the jail?? LOL I've even locked my keys in the car while it was running! I keep an extra key in my wallet now - of course that wouldn't help me if I left my wallet in the car too! I definitely feel for you - been there, done that!

CyberKitten
May 25th, 2005, 10:34 AM
My brother did this once in high school to his car and I paid for the locksmith so my parents would not find out, lol (He is younger than me and by then I was at least earning some money). I would go with the fire dept - this brother is a firefighter and I'd send him if it was closer - since he still owes me for that incident, haha

Seriously, I've seen police and fire depts do it in Fla. here, I'd call a locksmith. They don't charge that much - $35-$50 at least here. Can it be that much more there?

I wish I had your talent raingirl, lol (Do you have lockpicks? lol) I always wanted to be like Rockford who manages to open doors so easily. I can open my bedroom door with a hairpin mind and my back door with a credit card but that's it!

raingirl
May 25th, 2005, 10:35 AM
I used to lock my keys in the car all the time too! The first day after I got my license, I locked them in it, running!! That was embarrasing. My mom had to take a taxi to where I was and give me the keys.

That is why I learned how to open it myself if it ever happened again.

I can pick a lot of locks...it's really not that hard.

CyberKitten
May 25th, 2005, 10:37 AM
Once in Fla, I drove my mom's car to a local mall and locked the car keys in - just remembering this now. It was hot which iwas OK and I was only about a mile or so from their home so I walked back and got my dad to drive me there in his car. In the old days, you could take coat hangers but not anymore.

Safyre
May 25th, 2005, 11:10 AM
my step dad locked the keys in the car on Monday night, with the car running. He's a lil absent minded, or just not that bright, i'm still deciding. So i got a call on my cell to pick up my mom (has has the other keys) and come home. I was not pleased.... terribly amused by the end of the story though.

twinmommy
May 25th, 2005, 11:19 AM
Don't know how things work over there, but a cabbie will show up with a "Slim Jim" here (used for opening car doors) for 1/2 the price of a tow truck.
It comes out to like 20 $.....

Wish I was closer, Lileth!! I'm really good with a coat hanger!!!(like scary good :D )

Beaglemom
May 25th, 2005, 01:02 PM
I've done this twice! The first time I went to the mall and parked underground. Went inside the store and realized I didn't have my car keys. Went back to the car and sure enough, there they were hanging from the ignition, car engine off! My cell phone wouldn't work in the underground, so I had to run upstairs and call my mom. She came to my rescue with my second set of keys via cab. The second time I did this was not that long ago. I came into work and locked my keys in my car. This time I had no one to call to bring me my second set as I didn't live with my mom and my second set of keys were 45 minutes away (one way)! Luckily, I know the owner for the autobody shop across the street from my work and he slimjimmed my lock to get my keys for me with out charging me! I wish I had the same talent as Raingirl!

Princesss04
May 25th, 2005, 01:14 PM
We got married May 1, 2004. After the wedding we were getting ready to leave the church and the best man went to pull the car around for us so we could leave. Well he pulled it around all right and when he shut the door he left the keys in it. LOL Oh man that is all we wanted we wanted to get out of there and get going. So we called a lock smith he came out and since it was out wedding day he did not charge us! He said that was our wedding present from him. LOL :D Anyway I am so thankful there are still alof of good hearted people out there. Maybe you will get lucky and run into someone that would do it for you for free. :D

lilith_rizel
May 25th, 2005, 01:22 PM
Well, I think we got everything figured out. Jen and Ralph are so generous. First they allow Judith and I to stay here, while Jen is in the hospital, and now they might be lending us the money if they can manage to get it. Ralph ended going to the hospital and spending the night with Jen, so I woke up early to clean the house, and I am also taking care of their 2 dogs too. Not sure when they will be back today, but that's ok, gives me more time to get the little things done, windows, microwave, ect.

Raingirl, James actually has a lock pic set, but guess where that is..... in the car. LOL. He doesn't know how to pick cars yet, just houses. He decided to get the set, when he locked the keys in the car, and had to pay $47 dollars for someone to come out and spend 15 seconds picking the lock. According to my figures, if that guy would unpick 1 lock every 15 seconds for one hour, he would make $11280 right? My formula: 60 seconds divided by 15 equals 4. 4 times 47 times 60 minutes equals 11280. Please correct me if I am wrong. Not the best at math......

Safyre
May 25th, 2005, 11:12 PM
yes, you're math was right.
but he'd only make that in one hour if an entire parking lot full of ppl forgot thier keys ... 4 every minute, for an hour? wow, thats alot of blonds :) (don't worry, i am a blond, i laugh at myself daily)

SnowDancer
May 26th, 2005, 01:09 PM
Just want to suggest that should you ever have to call the police and they do open the car for you they will then ask to see identification - your driver's licence.