Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

New owner of St Bernard puppy

Ashlee
May 24th, 2005, 06:25 PM
Hello!

I'm new to your site and just wanted to introduce myself and let you know how helpful I've found some of the threads as the new owner of a 3 month old St Bernard puppy.

I'm originally from Northern Ireland but lived and worked in London until recently. I've just moved to Alexandria, Egypt which will be my permanent home (I'm getting married in September). My fiance and I intended to get a dog after the marriage but we found a beautiful St Bernard puppy being kept in awful conditions in a local pet shop and couldn't leave without her - she just felt like our dog and we are now the happy owners of Muffin.

We will be living in a very large apartment but we own the rooftop terrace which is secure and about half an acre in size. We will also take the dog to the beach at least once or twice a week so exercise shouldn't be a problem. We also have a property about an hour away in the car with a very large garden but I'm not sure if this breed travels well - have other owners found long distance travel a problem with St Bernards?

I'm slightly concerned about training Muffin not to pull on the leash. I can barely keep her under control at the minute. She is not overly boisterous - but she strains a lot. Being in Egypt, I don't have access to recommended books on dog training at the moment and would appreciate any guidance.

Also, I know that some owners advocate a raw diet but I not sure that I would be happy feeding Muffin raw meat in Egypt as it might contain toxins of which I am not aware. The local vet recommended that we give her a bowl of milk with bread and mashed carrots in the morning, a whole chicken or similar amount of beef at lunch and another feed of protein/carb at night. She has also advised calcium tablets. Is this similar to what other owners feed their St Bernard puppies?

Many thanks
Ashlee

levimh
May 24th, 2005, 07:12 PM
I know of someone who owns a Saint and he's now 180 lbs and cute as a button. The couple that own him, feed him app. 16 cups (I believe that's what they said) of kibble a day. They're always renting out large vehicles to go camping and elsewhere, so I'm guessing he travels well. As for supplements or calcium, I'm not sure. The milk thing doesn't seem right to me, especially everyday. I didn't think lots of bread was good for dogs either. But I'm not a vet.

Shamrock
May 24th, 2005, 07:17 PM
Hello, Ashlee, just wanted to welcome you to the site! :) I'm sorry I dont have any advice - I'm not familar with St. Bernards, other than to admire them as very beautiful dogs
Would love to see a pic of your puppy, and I'm sure someone will be along shortly to offer you some good advice.

Lucky Rescue
May 25th, 2005, 09:00 AM
Hi and welcome!

The local vet recommended that we give her a bowl of milk with bread and mashed carrots in the morning,

Milk is a no-no, which gives many animals diarrhea! If you can get a good quality dog food there, I would stick with that!

You can find lots of tips in our training section for the pulling and other training issues you may have.:)

kandy
May 25th, 2005, 11:11 AM
Oh, please post pix of the new baby! I love St. Bernard's - had one as a child named Bummer! I don't know what my mom fed him as I was really young then, but I have a newf puppy and feed her a good quality large breed puppy food. Not only does milk cause diarreaha, but it can also make a dog fat, and you definitely don't want a fat St.B! I've never heard of giving a dog bread. I know that for giant breed puppies, you are supposed to have to limit the amount of calcium and phosphorous that they get so that they aren't growing too fast. Welcome to the Board!

Beaglemom
May 25th, 2005, 12:27 PM
Welcome! I'm sure you will find the people on this board incredibly helpful! I would love to see some photos of your new baby. St. Bernard's are adorable!

As for what you are feeding her, I would stick to a high quality puppy food specifically formulated for large breed puppies. Then when she is fully grown, I would switch her to a high quality large dog kibble. Home made food rarely provides the adequate nutrients that a growing puppy requires.

Cactus Flower
May 25th, 2005, 04:09 PM
Welcome!!!!

I have to say, I have country envy.

Oooooooooh Egypt!!! Lucky you!

Terrie
May 25th, 2005, 05:21 PM
Hi and welcome

Please post a picture of your baby. If you are asking what kind of food to feed her, make sure it's for large breed animals, otherwise she will starve to death, there is allot more fat and protein in large breed food. I stopped giving my dog puppy food at 4 months old and started him on adult food.
< sigh > They grow so fast don't they?

Princesss04
May 26th, 2005, 10:31 AM
Welcome! I would love to own a Saint Bernard one of these days but I do not like slobber although they are cute enough I could live with it. I look forward to seeing pictures! We love pictures! :D

Ashlee
May 27th, 2005, 04:41 PM
Many thanks for your warm welcome!

Muffin has settled in very well and is a sheer delight, very placid and well-behaved - I'm the one who suffers separation anxiety when she's out of my sight! Our friends think we have turned into the most terrible bores as she's all we can talk about - thank goodness for sites like this where we can rave about our beloved pets!

We took her to the beach today which delighted her - she spent the afternoon charging about the beach with a sand covered snout, pausing for snacks, hugs and snoozes. I took some lovely pictures of her which I'll post as soon as I get the equipment to transfer them to the computer. She also gave my partner an involuntary head-butt while they were playing together - I'll try to get a picture of that too before the swelling on his nose goes down!

I was worried about her over-exerting herself as it was a lot of exercise in one day and I've read that short walks are better at her age - it would have been a shame to keep her on the lead though to make her go more slowly. We won't take her again until next weekend and her exercise for the rest of the week will be more gentle - I hope this will be ok.

Thanks to LuckyRescue and Levimh for your advice about feeding her milk (as suggested to us by a vet here in Egypt) - it did indeed give her diarrhoea as you advised so it will no longer be featuring in her diet (for our sake as well as hers...).

I'll post any other queries I have on the relevant boards.

Thanks again for your messages. I've loved reading about your pets too.

Prin
May 29th, 2005, 12:34 AM
Welcome to the board!! I believe there is another St-Bernard puppy here too. I think I answered some food questions for him too... :)

Here:
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=14978

RaYne
May 30th, 2005, 07:51 AM
Welcome to the board Ashlee :)

Prin, Yup that would be me.

DeAnna C
November 11th, 2007, 10:41 PM
Hello,
My name is DeAnna me and my husband are from the U.S and are moving to alexandria, egypt this summer for a year. I would like to get a dog when we move, are dogs common in alex? Is it hard to find dog food, vets, etc... What has your experience been like having a dog in alexandria? Any feedback would be very much appreciated. Thanks a ton. DeAnna :shrug:

chico2
November 12th, 2007, 07:03 AM
DeAnnaC,the original post is 2 yrs old,I doubt the OP is still around.
Why don't you make your own thread and post your questions,maybe someone else can answer you.