Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Fostering

levimh
May 24th, 2005, 04:09 PM
Lately I've been thinking about fostering (probably a dog). I was just wondering what it involves?

First off, do we (the "fosterer") pay for the spay/neuter (if needed), food, medical (if needed), etc.?

How does it work? Someone contacts the SPCA (for ex.) and say they want a certain dog. SPCA refers to foster home and they visit your home...?

Those were my two main questions. Anything else would be helpful.

Princesss04
May 24th, 2005, 04:15 PM
When we looked into it. THe shelther pays for everything. You supply food but the shelther pays for any medical bills, etc. If someone wants to vist the animal than you need to bring it to the shelther or let them come to your house. Contact your local shelther and see what they say. :D

levimh
May 24th, 2005, 04:47 PM
Just realized I put this in the wrong place. Feel free to move.

kayla
May 24th, 2005, 05:17 PM
i think it depends who you foster for. with the montreal spca you pay for food and any vet bills that may come up. although they also have a vet they usually let you take the animal in to see for free. you dont pay for spaying/neutering though, that would be paid for by the adopter. you can foster for rescues too and i think many of them pay for everything. you should contact your local shelter/rescue and ask them what exactly they expect.

maddoxies
May 24th, 2005, 06:51 PM
With our rescue, the foster home pays for the food and the vet bills are paid by the rescue. Most of us already have dogs, so the dog food is not a big deal.

Each HS/SPCA is different so you will have to check in your area, but these are some guidelines.

THANK YOU for considering fostering