Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Our Sweet new boy

Toonces
May 24th, 2005, 01:25 PM
Hi everyone,

I would like you to meet Hank, his name was Snake but I just had to change that because it really does not suit his very sweet loving personality.

Hank has a auto imuine disorder called Mucoid Pemphigus and thats why he looks the way he does. Has anyone here ever had a dog with this because any insight would be helpfull, he does not seem to be in any pain just very itchy and he has slept a great deal since he came here yesterday, he is very quiet in the house you really don't even know he is here. My 2 females are very good with him and want to clean him and are trying to be his momma so when we can't watch them they must be seperated because I worry that they will hurt him. He ignores our 2 cats and is just such a swet soul it breaks my heart to think how he suffered before coming to the shelter and then here.

He is on a round of meds right now for 1 month and if that does not work we will have to try something else.

happycats
May 24th, 2005, 01:31 PM
OMG, I remember him!! he was in the THS looking for a foster home!! I am so so happy you took him, he seems like such a sweet baby, your an :angel: and Hank is very lucky to have you, and i am sure he will pay you back in LOVE!!

Princesss04
May 24th, 2005, 01:37 PM
I am so glad you gave this baby a home! You truly are an angel! :D

BMDLuver
May 24th, 2005, 03:10 PM
Aww poor guy. That must be so uncomfortable. I hope the meds help alleviate some of the symptoms.

Toonces
May 24th, 2005, 03:52 PM
Thanks guys, I will give Hank kisses from you.

It does look painfull but he never complains he is a real trooper and is now eating well and settled right in. Today we went for a short walk and he was very good. THS did a very good job with him and he got lots of attention from the dog walkers. My mom is staying with us and he adores her, she was the first one that got a very special kiss from him but I got mine today, I was sitting with him on the floor and he had his head in my lap and he licked my hand. He looks worse than that picture but that was the least graphic one I had and I didn't want to upset anyone, the flash really bothers his eyes so I won't be taking any inside anymore (when I clued into this I felt terrible) sometimes when I look at him I start to cry and wonder how anyone could let a dog suffer like this.

chico2
May 24th, 2005, 04:10 PM
Aww Toonces,I am so happy for Hank and that you found him,hugs for both you and Hank :love: :love:

LL1
May 24th, 2005, 04:16 PM
I am so glad he is with you Toonces,he is a very lucky dog.

Lucky Rescue
May 24th, 2005, 05:45 PM
Awww - poor guy! Thank you for taking him in. He sure looks like he could use a break!

Toonces
May 25th, 2005, 05:10 PM
Thanks again,

I am just glad that our rescue was able to help, He is doing great and coming more out of his shell, he likes to steal things like remotes, books and towles and is becoming quite the ham. Today when I left for work he cried and it broke my heart but when I came home he burried his head in my chest and let out these wonderfull moans that sounded like a bear, he then took his meds no problem and we went for a short walk and then after a rest he had a good dinner, I am so glad he is eating because he did not eat well at the shelter and is quite thin.

heeler's rock!
May 25th, 2005, 05:13 PM
Aww! Bless your soul for taking this poor guy in! :angel: I'm not familiar with his story, do you mind sharing? :o

Toonces
May 25th, 2005, 05:31 PM
I'd be more than happy to share heeler's rock,

Hank aka Snake was dumped at THS in March, his owners said he was sprayed by a skunk and had been scratching at his face and thats why he looks the way he does, it turns out he has an auto imuine disorder called Mucoid Pemphigus and if not caught early this is what happens (you can see more graphic pics at www.gsrt.net)

Hank has lived his entire 8 yrs outside and has never been to a vet untill march of this yr, he has since been neutered and they were working on his condition but without a safe place for him to be they could not start treatment because he has a weak imune system and being in a shelter he could pick up anything. His face in not the only thing affected his ears, penis and anus are also covered in sores but have been getting better. GSRT worked frantically trying to find him a foster home and then the foster I had was adopted into a wonderfull home so without hesitation I said I would take him, he goes to my vet next week for another evaulation and he is such a good boy for that, never makes a peep or complains just takes it all in stride.

He is a real inspriation for me and my husband and when I have a bad day I just look at him and think what am I whinning about! My 2 girls adore him and are so sweet and kind to him and he likes my 2 kitties but our house is very quiet so he is getting his much needed rest.

Toonces
May 25th, 2005, 05:33 PM
Here is another pic.

canine14
May 25th, 2005, 06:32 PM
I was considering him and have bookmarked a lot of pemphigus sites which I'll send you later! I am looking to add one more special-needs, bottom-of-the-barrel, totally abused and physically scarred dog to my "family" and show them love after they have suffered from human cruelty. I was hesitating to inquire about Snake because I can only add one more dog and it has to be the right one.

CONGRATULATIONS!

Lucky Rescue
May 25th, 2005, 07:16 PM
Just want to point out that this is another example of how people LIE when they want to dump their pets. :mad:

Lisa, I'll keep an eye out for that "special" dog for you!

Toonces
May 29th, 2005, 08:18 AM
canine14 it is wonderfull that you take in special needs dogs, alot of people would just pass them by and in a way I can understand somewhat because some people just can't handle what comes with them or find it to hard on their emotions but lucky for these babies there are people that understand and will give them safe loving homes.

Hank is doing better since he came here and has started a new treatment plan, he has a bounce in his step now and wags his tail! and yesterday I heard him bark for the first time it was music to my ears. He is eating more and gaining some much needed weight and loving all the attention. He was so good for the vet he was amazing, 2 hrs of poking and prodding and not one peep and he even gave the vet kisses, his scabs are healing up , he is on a patch for pain. I will keep you updated on his progress.

Cactus Flower
May 29th, 2005, 02:39 PM
Oh bless your heart for taking him in! That says so much about you. Kudos!

I am curious- when you are fostering a dog up there, who pays his medical bills?

Will the medication cure this disorder? Or will he always have it, and it is only to ease the symptoms? What causes it in the first place?

Toonces
May 29th, 2005, 05:30 PM
Hi Catcus Flower,

When fostering the rescue pays for the vet bills and food, my husband and I are fortunate enough that we can absorbe some of the costs because the rescue we foster for releys on donations but most of the money comes from her own pocket, we have 2 dogs of our own so another mouth to feed is no big deal and I enjoy spoiling these babies with lots of toys treats, ect, and they get alot of goddies from our friends.

Hank will always have to have meds to control this it is quite rare and a genetic thing and there have been few reported cases. The latest article is "Animal Models of Human Inflammatory Skin Disease" 2004 discusses it in detail and the term canine Mucous Membrane Pemphigus (or Mucoid Pemphigus) was individualized formally as a separate entity after adaptation of the consensus criteria for the human disease, so it is a relatively new term. I think they have only diagnosed 42 dogs by the date of this article, 12 (29%) were GSDs, median age on onset was 5, 43% older than 7 years, and 33% more males than females.

Hank is doing better every day and he is quite the sucky baby, he never leaves my side and is quite happy now, we adore him and I know the feeling is mutual, here is a pic of him with his new bandana that a very kind lady sent for him because she saw his pic and thought he looked like he needed so cheering up.

Cactus Flower
May 29th, 2005, 06:11 PM
Wow- thanks very much for all of that information.

I just had a heartbreaking thought- could his condition be why the owner gave him up? Aaaaaaah, I wish my mind hadn't gone there.

You are very special, Toonces. People are so hung up on appearances, it is no secret, I'm sure, that this dog wouldn't have been in high demand on the adoption list.

And look how you opened up your home and heart to him, as soon as you had an opening. I'm not sure I could have a higher opinion of you.

Kudos, blessings, pats on the back, and a huge hug to you!

Spurby
May 29th, 2005, 06:17 PM
He really is a beautiful dog :love: Kudos to you and your rescue for taking this guy in :thumbs up So nice to see him getting better, and happier too!

Prin
May 29th, 2005, 10:05 PM
Dogs become even more beautiful as a reflection of their owners. This guy should be VERY beautiful thanks to you. :grouphug:

wjranch
May 29th, 2005, 10:06 PM
Many, many years ago, I had a GSD bitch. She developed an autoimmune disorder after an ill timed litter was born to her. Her system just seemed to break down and she couldn't recover from it. Her ears were sooo bad, I tried all the meds the vet reccommended as well as surgery (she had cauliflower growths that kept growing even after they were removed and cauterized) The final surgery tried was to open the ear canal to allow air in whether or not there were any growths. It helped for awhile. But, the ears were only part of her problem, my vet diagnosed that she had become allergic to her own skin oils and after many different attempts to help her, we finally made the decision to have her PTS. It was the hardest thing I've ever had to do...but, I know she was hurting and the itching and pain were beyond what the meds could alleviate. She was literally chewing herself to bits! Her forelegs were raw, her breast bone was raw, her flanks...raw. Her life had become so painful and frustrating for her (she was living day after day wearing an elizabethan collar to stop her from scratching and chewing) Her eyes told me one day that she'd had enough. I made the call to my vet and he agreed it was time for her.

I hope Hank has a better outcome to all this. Although, it looks very familiar, I know medicine has come along way since 16 years ago. Best wishes to you both..... he's a lucky fella to have landed on your doorstep :) God Bless You :thumbs up

Toonces
May 30th, 2005, 05:19 AM
Oh Wjranch my eyes are full of tears from your post I am so sorry for what your baby had to go through and you having to make that decision, it is so hard to have to make that choice but we do know when its time and they tell us in their own special way.

Cactus Flower thankyou for you kind words you are making me blush, my mom always says that God always sends me this sick ones because he knows I will take care of them. I feel blessed to have Hank in my life he is such an amazing dog, he has started to prance around the yard and become more of himself. I think his owners just couldn't be bothered but who knows why anyone dumps their dogs I refuse to let myself waste energy being mad at these people about something I will never understand instead I will focus on Hank and his needs.

The first time I took him to the vet I was not prepared for all the staring and questions by people in the waiting room, some people glared at me as if I had done this to him and others would just stare, a young girl about 17 walked over to us and said "I just want to tell you that I think he is beautiful" I could tell her mom was very proud as I would be if that was my daughter.

Hank has his own fan club amoung our friends, family and even some neighbours, people come out to see him when we go for walks and he loves the attention, I taught him how to sit yesterday and he was very proud the poor fellow knows nothing because his prevoius owners did not teach him, he had to learn how to use stairs and he is not totally housebroken (thank god for cermaic tile!) I will have to go out today and get some of those puppy training pads because he is on prednisone and while I am at work it will be impossible for him to hold his pee.

Thankyou all for your kind words and get well wishes, he goes back to the vet tomorrow and I will let you all know how he made out.

Kisses from Hank!

chico2
May 30th, 2005, 07:52 AM
Toonces,I cannot say enough about you and Hank,scabs and all,he is a wonderful dog,deserves the very best and I believe he's found it in you :love:
What will his future be? Will he ever be adoptable,or are you planning on keeping him?

Toonces
May 30th, 2005, 12:47 PM
Hi Chico2,

Hank is a beauty isn't he! As far as getting better we are hoping for the best, the new meds seem to be working and he is looking and feeling better everyday hopefully he will be able to continue on a lower dosage every other day once it is under control, he will be with us for a long time I imagine before he is up for adoption and who knows he could be the foster that never leaves and I would have no problem keeping him forever, he really fits into our family nicely and our furbabies really like him, I am so lucky to have 2 sweet females that accept our fosters like part of the family and my cats are very cool about it but we have been lucky that all the dogs we have had are good with cats.

I can't get over how generous people have been with donations, he came with holistic treats, toys, eaglepac dog food, bowls and a bandana and a few people have donated already for his vet bills and THS sent meds for him aswell and to top it off my vet has a case of food for him, my step dauhter has alos givin him her old barbie comforter to sleep on (he dosn't mind that its pink ;) )

Here is one of my favorite pics of him.

Toonces
May 31st, 2005, 04:33 PM
Just wanted to give you all an update on Hank,

He had a checkup today and the vet is amazed at how well he is coming along, he is the star of the vets office and everyone comes out to see how he is and he gets lots of attention which he loves, on Thursday we will find out if we can lower his dose of meds, his scabs are half the size and the sores in his mouth almost gone.

thankyou to everyone who responded to this post and wished him well!

Cactus Flower
May 31st, 2005, 04:37 PM
Yaaaaaaaaaaaaay! Thanks for the update!

Doing a happy-dance here!

Bearsmom
May 31st, 2005, 08:54 PM
Aw, I just want to SQUEEEZE him.

Congrats, Toonces, and keep upthe caring that you do....you're awesome!

glasslass
May 31st, 2005, 10:55 PM
Toonces, you're really great! Just read this story of Hank and I'm soooo overwhelmed! Gotta give you a hug! :grouphug:

savannah
June 1st, 2005, 08:11 AM
Toonces, words cannot express how i feel about you and your very big heart!
I also remember Hank from the THS website, and i remember wishing that he would find someone to foster him. I really hope you keep him! :thumbs up

Toonces
June 1st, 2005, 04:13 PM
I want to keep Hank just like I did Jerry, Reilly and Griffin but if I had kept Jerry there would have been no chance for Reilly and so on. It is so hard knowing they are only with you for a short time but I treasure the time I had and know that there will be another one in need and I get lots of updates and photos from their new parents but Hank is truely a heart breaker, he is so attached to me and very needy right now, I hate even going to work and leaving him but I have a friend that comes in to let him out in the daytime and spend time with him so that helps.

I know it will be very hard to send him to a new mommy but for now we are just focusing on getting him well enough to adopt out and then I guess I will have to deal with that so for now he is totally mine to love and spoil!

doggy lover
June 2nd, 2005, 07:52 PM
Poor little darling, give him a kiss for me too. If love could make him better he is on his way to a complete recovery. Thanks for taking in such a needing dog.

Toonces
June 3rd, 2005, 05:02 AM
I agree Doggylover I think love is a big key in his recovery and I can promise you all he is getting lots of that. I am warching him right now with my girl Brandy and his tail is wagging like mad, something he has just started doing, he won't go outside without me and does his business and then comes right back in, maybe being an outside dog his whole life has made him think once he is out he may never get back in the house so he wastes no time.

We were back to the vet yesterday and they have lowered his dose of meds and he has gained 1 lb he has a few more to go and is a very slow eater, if I leave the room he will not eat so I hang out and talk to him untill he is done. Last nite at bed time he took one of my socks and slept with it but not before prancing around with it and his mouth and showing everyone.

Kisses from Hank!

Luba
June 4th, 2005, 03:05 PM
Toonces,
I saw your boy on GSRT and was told you posted some pics of him here.
:D I only wish for the remainder of all his days to be as bright as the day he was brought out of the hell he was in.

It's lovely to hear he is improving. Such a big change for him to have someone to love and care for him I'm sure.

Thank you for loving a rescue :D

Cactus Flower
June 4th, 2005, 04:08 PM
Luba?

LubaLubaLuba!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuba!

WELCOME BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Luba
June 4th, 2005, 04:16 PM
Yes c'est moi CF
I re'introduced myself lol ;) so to speak in General forum!

Cactus Flower
June 4th, 2005, 04:28 PM
So glad to have you back!

The system here has been very glitchy lately. I can't find your re-introduction. Nothing is showing up in new posts, and nothing is showing in the general forum. Frustrating.

(sorry to hijack, will take the rest to pm).

Toonces
June 6th, 2005, 05:40 AM
Cactus Flower I don't mind if you hijacked if it means you can catch up with an old buddy!

Here is a new pic of Hank from yesterday so you can see he is doing well, his nose is much better and his ears are almost cleared up, just waiting for his eyes to show some more improvement.

Toonces
June 6th, 2005, 05:47 AM
and here he is having a snooze with the gilrs.

chico2
June 6th, 2005, 06:56 AM
Toonces,what a great picture with the three pups and I am so happy Hank is improving..this is the kind of feel-good post which can make your day :thumbs up

Cactus Flower
June 6th, 2005, 10:07 AM
Yes, he IS looking better! I see the difference!

Toonces
June 6th, 2005, 02:16 PM
Currie and Brandy adore him and they know he is not feeling well. Today he was prancing and romping around the back yard like a young pup, I can't explain how good that makes me feel, I hate that I have to go back to work tomorrow but my friend comes in the daytime to spend some time with him and let him out (not spoiled at all).

We had a thunder storm yesterday and he was very upset so I sat on the floor with him and he climbed right in my lap and curled up, my 2 girls were there for support and would lick him and give him little nudges, I am very proud of them for they way they are towards him.

Every day he looks a little better and is more content, he is such a good boy and so full of love he really is an amazing dog but of course I am bias hehe

badger
June 6th, 2005, 04:08 PM
This is such a beautiful story, I need my daily Hank fix. Keep it coming!

Toonces
June 6th, 2005, 04:40 PM
Thanks Badger You can count on it! I am trying to keep a diary of pics to log his improvement.

I had a lady from Toronto visit today, she saw Hank on our webiste and just had to meet him and she brought lots of treats and some yummy holistic canned food for him, she also brought her 9 yr old golden and 1 yr old shepherd and you would never have known there were 5 dogs in my house, they all got along great and he really liked the golden who was also male.

She paints beautiful pet portraits and I am getting her to paint one of my girls and she is donating 30% of the sale to the rescue, she was a lovely person and we had a great visit, funny how you can just meet someone and its like you have known them for years but I always know that if someone is an animal lover I am sure to like them.

She could not get over how different Hank looks from his pics and what a sucky baby he is, he loves attention and must be with me at all times.

Kisses from hank!

Toonces
June 19th, 2005, 03:51 AM
Just wanted to let you all know that Hank is doing great. He was at the vet yesterday and was such a good boy he was weighed and still needs some pounds added and had his nails clipped and didn't even flinch. Everyone in the office adores him and can't get over how quiet he is and how he ignores all the other dogs and cats.

Most of the scabs are gone now and he has this very delicate pink skin around his eyes and on his nose, we can see his eyes now and they are the most beautifull deep brown and so expressive, he is very hard to get pics of because he moves all the time but I will keep trying. I have only heard one bark out of him he is so quiet except when its dinner time that is quite exciting and he moans and howls.

Yesterday we were out walking in the woods and my 2 had a chipmunk up a tree, when Currie seen us coming for some reason she did not register who I was (I had a hat on) and she came full bore barking and Hank stood between me and her and he let a growl out that must have came from the tip of his toes, it reminded me of a lion roaring! she stopped dead in her tracks and then the tail was going like mad ohhh it's my mommy and her and Hank kissed and made up. I was stunned since he is a dog of few words and is usually so passive but I guess he thought I was in trouble.

He prances alot when we go for walks but his favorite place to be is in the house or the car going for a ride. We have had some wicked thunderstorms lately and he is afraid of those and will go into the bathroom in our bedroom and stay in the shower.

We are getting married in July and the wedding is here at home so the dogs are being boarded at the vet and the cats are staying at my moms, we have no good boarding kennels around here and the vet knows his situation, we were thiking of letting them stay home but Hank does not do so well in noisy situations and I can just see our 2 girls going for a dip in the pond and then jumping up on people.

Here is a pic I took of him just now and you can see he moved on me, he is now turned away from me with his face in the corner he really hates the camera

Kisses from Hank!

chico2
June 19th, 2005, 07:27 AM
Thank you Toonces,for a chilly-sunday-morning-pick-me-upper :love:
I just knew Hank would be well behaved at the vet,he's just so happy to be with you and that he is getting better!!
Hugs to you and Hank!

BMDLuver
June 19th, 2005, 07:58 AM
Hank is looking so much better. Congratulations on the pending nuptials!

april21h1
June 19th, 2005, 09:43 AM
I am so happy to see that hank is doing better. He is such a cutie.

Congrats on the wedding

Toonces
June 19th, 2005, 02:37 PM
Thanks guys

Here is a pic I just got he was just finishing up and I was able to snap it before he noticed.

Toonces
June 19th, 2005, 02:40 PM
DOH!! I forgot to post the pic hehe

Luba
June 19th, 2005, 03:44 PM
His eyes say it all 'THANK YOU'
he looks so loved thank you so much for giving him such gentle kindness!
He looks so very much better, his soul, his eyes his face ahhh what a big big difference you've made in his life!!

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

YA FOR HANK!!!

chico2
June 19th, 2005, 03:45 PM
Aww Hank,he is such a handsome boy!!
I forgot to say"congrats"on your wedding,exciting stuff!!
Hubby and I will celebrate our 40th anniversary in dec,yes,we got married at 7 yrs old! Just kidding!!!

Luba
June 19th, 2005, 03:51 PM
Woopsie I musta missed that too...
congratulations :D

Toonces
June 20th, 2005, 04:45 PM
Thankyou for the well wishes from me and Hank,

He is so easy to love and asks for nothing, we went for a big walk through the woods today and I wish you could have seen him prancing with my 2, he can really run when he feels like it and his stride is amazing, he never goes to far ahead as he is worried where I am at all times, he is all pooped out now and sleeping like a baby. He is still seperated from our girls in the day time because Currie can't resist and wants to lick his face so untill he is healed up more this is the way it has to be. I'm sure our kitty Emma is keeping him company she loves his blanket that he sleeps on and he is so gentle with her.

Luba
June 20th, 2005, 04:48 PM
Isn't it wonderful when u see that improvement and know that all the hard work or worry or sleepless nights...was all worth it! YEAH!

doggy lover
June 20th, 2005, 06:51 PM
Glad to see that he is doing so much better now, he is healing so fast it must be the wonderful care your giving him. :highfive:

Toonces
June 25th, 2005, 07:19 AM
We have fur!!!!

Hank is starting to grow some fur around his one eye and around the outer edge of his nose, it is very soft grey fur like he has on his muzzel, could be along time before it all grows back or if it ever does but it looks so cute. He is being a very good boy and having lots of fun, yesterday he met our friends Westie and he was fine with him, nothing really seems to bother him in the way of other dogs, he has a sniff and just moves on.

kisses from Hank

chico2
June 25th, 2005, 07:35 AM
That's great news...soon we'll get to see him in all his glory,furry face and all :D I did not backtrack to see the cause of his condition,is this something that could come back???
You have done a wonderful thing for a very deserving Hank,it's a real feel-good story,thank's!

canine14
June 25th, 2005, 08:19 AM
So when are you going to admit that you're keeping him :thumbs up

Lisa.

Lucky Rescue
June 25th, 2005, 09:33 AM
So when are you going to admit that you're keeping him

Let her live in denial a little longer..... :D

Toonces
June 25th, 2005, 03:14 PM
This is something that he will always have and as soon as he clears up we just have to get him on a lower dose of meds that prevents flareups.

As far as adoptiong him we will not be, as much as I would love to keep him forever if I did we would no longer be able to foster because I would be at my personal limit as far as what I could handle, we have had no one apply for him as of yet and I think he could be with us a very long time, our first foster was here almost 6 months before he was adopted.

Toonces
July 12th, 2005, 06:04 PM
Just a quick update on Hank,

He is doing very well, has gained about 4 lbs and looking better every day, the pink skin around his eyes is turning brown and he is growing some fur back, he looks better every day and he is the biggest love bug and he now barks and howls when I come home from work.

He goes to the vet next week to see if we can lower his meds a bit and I will be sure to post and let you all know how he is doing, hopefully I will be able to get a new pic of this very camera shy guy.

Kisses from Hankaroo!

happycats
July 12th, 2005, 06:17 PM
I am so happy to hear hank is doing better, I will never forget that poor sad face, sitting in a cage at the THS.

You are an :angel: for giving him a chance! :thumbs up

Give Hank a big smootch from me :love:

chico2
July 13th, 2005, 07:16 AM
Toonces,I double what Happy says,what you have done for Hank,gives me a warm fuzzy feeling inside :love:
I am sure he's paying you back tenfold,like only Hank can and I am sooo happy he's doing better..you are a true :angel:
Lot's of hugs to you and Hankaroohttp://bestsmileys.com/dogs/4.gif

BMDLuver
July 13th, 2005, 07:35 AM
So happy to hear that Hank is doing so well!

Congratulations on your recent nuptials!

Toonces
July 14th, 2005, 02:47 AM
Thanks BMD Lover, and Happycats consider your smootch planted! Hank loves his kisses he gets plenty from everyone and he loes to give them back so he is sending one your way.

Toonces
July 15th, 2005, 07:19 PM
We have so many fans of Hank on this site I feel that I have to post a pic for all to see even if it just a closeup of his eyes so you can see the improvement, he really hates the camera and moves every time (maybe I should hire someone from one of those rag mags to stalk him and take pics ;) ) you can see how the pink skin is turning brown and he is growing some fur slow but sure.

Luba
July 15th, 2005, 07:53 PM
Wow has he ever come a long long way!! He is truly a remarkable success story!

I"m so surprised at each time I see the pictures that I can't believe he is the same dog.

:grouphug: you are wonderful!

chico2
July 16th, 2005, 06:50 AM
Toonces,thank's he's certainly on the way to recovery,I'm sure the meds played a big part,but your loving care even biggerhttp://bestsmileys.com/thankyou/1.giffor loving him.

Toonces
July 16th, 2005, 05:36 PM
Thankyou Chico,

Hank is a very easy dog to love, he asks for nothing, never complains and takes everything in stride. I find it hard to beleive that his last owners said they had him for protection because I still have only heard him bark once and that was maybe a month ago, he greets everyone that comes over the same way with a big goofy look and a smile I'm sure.

He goes to the vet again next week for a checkup so I will be sure to post how me made out along with a new pic I hope.

Kisses from Hank aka Hankaroo

Toonces
July 17th, 2005, 08:05 AM
Ok all you Hank fans, here he is in all his glory just look at those eyes! I wish it was more of a close up so you could see the tiny new hairs peeking out, most of the pink shin around his eyes now is brown now we are just waiting to see some more improvement in his nose

Kisses from Hank.

BMDLuver
July 17th, 2005, 08:24 AM
wow, such a difference from the beginning. It no longer looks so angry. Amazing what love and care can accomplish! :)

doggy lover
July 18th, 2005, 09:50 AM
What a beautiful boy, seems to me he is comming out of his shell now too. He is lucky that he found you, your an :angel:

pags
July 18th, 2005, 10:46 AM
Wow!! I am SO excited - he looks great!!! What a vast improvement!! :grouphug: And he is really really beautiful. I LOVE his face.

Luba
July 18th, 2005, 10:50 AM
:D HI HANK (Luba waves) woo hoo over here!!

I see you're looking really smart with your new hair growing in....hey maybe we need to get you some clippers now WOW thats growing in fast!!

You're like a doggie that won't stop pleasing. Everytime I see your pictures I just can't help but grin. You are doing an amazing job with him for real! :D

Melinda
July 18th, 2005, 11:19 AM
he looks amazing...you did a wonderful job with him!!

Toonces
July 19th, 2005, 08:06 AM
Hank waves back luba :D

He had his recall yesterday and they are happy with his progress but instead of lowering his meds like I had hoped they raised it by 15 mg for 2 weeks to see if we can get his nose under control and we also got a anti itch cream to put on it for him, his weight is coming along slow but sure and his coat is healthy and thick.

They were very impressed with his eyes and so happy about the new fur growing. Hank is the first dog they have ever treated for this and lets hope the last, it can be such an angry disease and cause so much pain.

Lucky Rescue
July 19th, 2005, 09:52 AM
Oh he looks so much better! THANK YOU for taking this guy in and showing him that some people are kind and loving!!:)

Luba
July 19th, 2005, 10:41 AM
I suppose they may have increased it because he's tolerating it well and it's working...it could be a very GOOD thing :D

Hunkable Hank you sure are Handsome!!

Toonces
July 19th, 2005, 01:10 PM
Thats what the vet said Luba but she said if there was any negative changes at all to let them know right away, we had to change his food too because he has never had nice bms, we switched to Hills ID perscription diet (not what I would like him to be on) but his stools are much firmer and he goes less now and no more soft stools.

Lucky I have seen may of the furry babies you have helped and you are an :angel: so to you I say thankyou from all those you have helped that cannot speak.

Toonces
July 21st, 2005, 12:03 PM
Hank had a bath yesterday and he loved every second of it, his eyes were rolling back in his head and his was grunting and moaning with pure joy, just snapped this pic thought you might like to have a peek.

Bearsmom
July 21st, 2005, 12:10 PM
Awwww, thanks, Toonces, it's my Hank fix!!!!! He looks so gorgeous.

Toonces
August 9th, 2005, 05:52 PM
I need all your thoughts and prayers for Hank now in the next few days, the vet thinks he may have EPI, his face is coming along wonderfull, more fur everyday and he looks fantastic but he shows all the sings of this disease now so he is having tests done tomorrow and we won't know for a few days.

I am sick about this, we love him so much and he is the most amazing dog and yet he has to have all these problems, I wonder if he will ever get a break, I really wish you could all meet him he truly is an beautiful animal inside and out and his love and loyalty goes beyond what I have ever had in a dog.

Luba
August 9th, 2005, 05:54 PM
OH Toonces NOOOO!!! Oh no I am so very sad to hear this.

Hank baby we're all gonna send you positive thoughts and pray for your health. Your family loves you and so do all of us on pets.ca
You have come so far along and we'll root for you some more.

For you and mom and family :grouphug:

Toonces
August 9th, 2005, 05:58 PM
Thankyou so much Luba,

The support here is wonderfull and we need it, I am researching like mad to find out what I can and my vet is wonderful, she spent and hr talking to me and I can tell they think of Hank as more than just a patient he gets so much attention when he is there and everyone comes out to see him no matter what they are doing.

Kisses to you from Hankaroo

badger
August 9th, 2005, 06:00 PM
What is EPI. Is it (gulp) fatal? Poor Hank, he's lucky to have you, to see him through.

Toonces
August 9th, 2005, 06:10 PM
Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency (EPI) is a syndrome that is characterized by a lack of effective pancreatic exocrine secretion in the small intestine.

EPI is characterized by loss of the majority of the functional reserve capacity of the exocrine pancreas. Therefore, a decrease of intraduodenal concentration of pancreatic enzymes, bicarbonate, antibacterial and enteric mucosal "trophic" factors, as well as pancreatic and GI regulatory peptides are observed. Finally, malassimilation of nutrients (fats, carbohydrates, proteins, vitamins, trace elements), small intestinal bacterial overgrowth, morphologic and functional changes of small intestine are produced as a result of EPI.

It can be treated but he already has enough going wrong I just can't imagine him having this aswell :sad:

Luba
August 9th, 2005, 06:41 PM
My neighbours dog has it,he's doing quite well on digestive enzymes and you of course know about all of that and the other treatments. :D

doggy lover
August 9th, 2005, 07:07 PM
I'll keep my :fingerscr for both of you, and give Hank a big kiss from me and Tucker.

happycats
August 9th, 2005, 07:18 PM
My thoughts and prayers go out to sweet Hank. :fingerscr I hope all turns out good, and Hank lives the rest of his life healthy and happy, as god knows he deserves it!!

I would love to meet him and give him a great big hug and kiss!! He looks like such a sweet loving boy!

Toonces
August 10th, 2005, 02:33 AM
Thanks guys,

I gave Hank kisses and pats from everyone, we got up extra early today so he could still have his brekky because he has to fast for 12 hrs and he is always starving so I could not imagine him watching my 2 girls chow down and he could not have any, I think even they were startled when the alarm went off so early :eek:

shannon1233A
August 10th, 2005, 06:33 AM
You know Hank has a very special place in my heart. Thank you for taking such very good care of him. I will keep him and you in my thoughts and prayers and ask you give him a BIG hug and kiss from me {{{HUGS}}}

chico2
August 10th, 2005, 07:46 AM
Oh no,Toonces,I keep my fingers and toes crossed hoping the vet is wrong.. :fingerscr
I think we all love Hank and would love to meet him and give him a hug..
I too don't really know what EPI is in layman terms,but I know Hank is in the best possible hands and the love is pouring to him from here.. :love:
Plese,please,pretty please let sweet Hank be ok :love:

BMDLuver
August 10th, 2005, 08:25 AM
Oh dear Toonces! I'm praying hard that Hank does not have any additional problems. Poor sweetheart has had enough in his life already.

Toonces
August 10th, 2005, 06:02 PM
Hank had his blood work today and was a very good boy, he didn't mind at all, I also took in another fecal sample and he has Coccidia and with his current condition this is not surprising, his poo was full of fat globules and he is now on meds for the Coccidia, it has alot of the same symptoms as EPI so heres hoping we can rule that out but we still had the test done anyway just to make sure.

Thankyou all so much for your support Hank and myself needed it and its so nice to know how much he is loved even tho none of you have never met him you have become involved with him offering your words of encouragemant and you all care and cheer him on through his ups and downs, I tell him everyday how special he is to us and to the many kind folks he has never had the pleasure of knowing.

Kisses from hank

Luba
August 10th, 2005, 06:20 PM
WHEW thats a relief this is easily treated!!

Hanky go on meds and mama give him yogurt WHEEEE

Lucky Rescue
August 10th, 2005, 06:42 PM
One thing I hate above all else - seeing animals who have had horrible lives not make it when they are finally given a chance.

I'm SOOOO glad to hear this sweet guy will be okay!!!

Thanks for being such a doggie angel! :)

doggy lover
August 10th, 2005, 07:05 PM
I hoping that this will be the end of all the hardships for Hank and it will be smooth sailing from now on. You are such a good mummy.

Luba
August 10th, 2005, 07:32 PM
Toonces you really truly are a :angel:

chico2
August 11th, 2005, 08:16 AM
Awww Hank-boy,you gave us a real scare...lets hope the final test-results are negative :thumbs up
I can only speak for myself,but I am sure we are all rooting for brave Hank and his wonderful caretaker, :love: to both of you :love:

Toonces
August 11th, 2005, 06:03 PM
Thanks so much guys, I'm just doing what I know any of you would do in the same situation, Hank makes it very easy to fall in love with him.

We are hoping to get the results of his blood work tomorrow or Monday and in the meantime we will just keep praying and thinking positive thoughts.

Its been a busy week here with many trips to the vet between Hank and my girl Brandy, she had a bladder stone removed 2 weeks ago the size of a golf ball and she got her stitches out today, they told me they are going to get me a trailer out back so I won't have to go so far lol

Toonces
August 14th, 2005, 06:56 AM
Fantastic news!!!

Hank DOES NOT have EPI, we did a big happy dance here when the vet called with his results, now we just have to get this nasty coccidia under control, he is starting to have some firmer stools so thats a start.

Kisses to everyone from Hankaroo :love:

chico2
August 14th, 2005, 08:43 AM
Finally,some good news :thumbs up thank you,Toonces and Hankarooohttp://bestsmileys.com/dogs/4.gif

Cookiesmom
August 14th, 2005, 10:52 AM
I just finished reading all the posts on Hank. Toonces we need more people in the world like you :thumbs up Hank is so lucky to have you in his life. He is a beautiful looking boy and you are doing a fantastic job with him! Please keep us posted and keep sending us pictures of him. I am so happy he does not have EPI. It takes special people like yourself to take in a special needs dog. Thank you so much :angel:

Toonces
August 14th, 2005, 04:27 PM
Thankyou so much Cookiesmom,

Hank means the world to us and when and if he ever gets adopted I know we will shed many tears.

He is very hard to get pics of he is afraid of the camera but I did manage to get this one of his backside hehe

Luba
August 14th, 2005, 04:43 PM
Nice bum bum of Hanky :D

Bearsmom
August 14th, 2005, 05:17 PM
Yay, my Hank fix!!!!

Toonces
August 14th, 2005, 07:43 PM
Bearsmom this one is for you!

Hank is feeling so good he is actually playing with toys for the first time since we got him, he chewed a few stuffies but I had to take them away because he wanted to eat the insides so I gave him a bone and look at him go! He would never chew them before but now he is feeling so perky he is in total heaven, didn't even notice me taking this pic :D

doggy lover
August 14th, 2005, 07:53 PM
Oh Hank I'm so glad you are ok. He is looking so much better too, he is a darling.

Georgiapeaches
August 14th, 2005, 08:03 PM
I just read this whole thread and just wanted to say you are amazing for taking in Hank. Hank looks really special and very handsome and you can see quite the difference in him since he's been in your care!!! Glad to hear he is happy and healthy! :thumbs up

Toonces
August 15th, 2005, 07:25 AM
Thankyou for your kind works Georgiapeaches,

Hubby and myself really enjoy fostering and when we seen Hanks pic and heard his sad story we didn't hesitate at saying we would take him, our foster had been adopted only days before he came so there was no break inbetween. We are lucky our 2 girls are very accepting and our cats have no fear of dogs, Emma our youngest kitty thinks she is a dog you should see her line up with them when the treats come out, they all bark and she moews as loud as she can

chico2
August 15th, 2005, 08:09 AM
Oh yes,Hank sweetie,you look wonderful :love:
I think Hank is our Poster-Boy for good things happening :thumbs up
Thank's Toonces to you and hubbie :love: love to see a pic of the kitty and dogs together!!

Toonces
August 19th, 2005, 10:24 AM
Got this one the other day when Hank was outside waiting to come in, look close at his one eye and you can see some of the new fur.

shannon1233A
August 19th, 2005, 03:00 PM
OMG, he's looking soooo much better! He should be our poster boy for the good things people can do. THANK YOU TOONCES for taking such excellent care of that big boy. You are indeed a true solid gold heart, Hank was so lucky to have found himself in your care. You are a true angel on Earth :angel:

chico2
August 19th, 2005, 03:20 PM
Thank's Toonces for the update on"our"Hank,he does look so much better,thank's to you.
I am not sure why,but I have a special spot in my heart for GSD's it's something special about them :love:
If could ever have another dog,it would be a GSD or a Collie..but unfortunately that is not possible :sad:

Toonces
August 28th, 2005, 05:51 PM
Here is a pic of Hankroo I got yesterday when we were having our walk, I so wish he would look at the camera he has no idea how beautiful he is.

chico2
August 28th, 2005, 07:10 PM
Awww,our Hankarooo fix,he looks so good :love:

Lucky Rescue
August 29th, 2005, 09:56 AM
Awww, it's so heartwarming to see this ol' guy getting to enjoy life! He does look so much better too!:)

Thanks for giving him so much TLC!!!

Toonces
August 29th, 2005, 11:23 AM
Thanks guys,

Loving Hank and caring for him is the easy part, giving him up will be so hard, we have someone interested, all paws and fingers crossed here.

last chance
August 31st, 2005, 01:04 PM
Toonces and Hank:

I just read the whole post about him and I just want to say THANK YOU!! It takes a true angel and a very special person to give so much to a dog like hank. Alot of people wouldn't give him a second glance. He is a truley BEAUTIFUL boy. :) He has come so very far from day one. Again thank you and God Bless!!!!
Samye

Give hank lots of hugs and kisses from me and my gang! :D

Toonces
August 31st, 2005, 05:02 PM
Thankyou last Chance, and welcome to the board hope you enjoy yourself here!

Your kisses and hugs have been delivered and he lapped them all up, not enough attention in the world for this sweet ole guy.

chico2
September 1st, 2005, 07:29 AM
Toonces,you just have to keep giving us news of his progress and pics,Hanks rescue and recovery is ALL thank's to you.
It's a feel-good story we all need to hear,in light of all the sad stories :love:

Toonces
September 1st, 2005, 04:38 PM
Chico I could talk about Hnak all day be carefull what you ask for :D

I will try my best to get some more pics of him it's just so darn hard, he is feeling great, gaining weight and really becoming a funny guy. he is my shadow and my stepkids laugh because they always know where I am you just have to look for Hank and I won't be to far from his sight, if I manage to get out of his sight he will pace and whine so I hollar from where I am and he will come bounding into the room but funny tho when I go to work he knows and he goes in the bed room and lays down with hubby.

He met some very nice people yesterday so it looks like OUR Hank will be moving on to his final home if all works out but I know in my gut it will, they were so nice and inlove with him instantly, they both work from home and have no other pets so he would get all the attention and he would love that.

I will be sure to keep you posted, thanks for asking about our special (not so little guy) anymore

chico2
September 2nd, 2005, 07:20 AM
Aww Toonces,it is going to be sooo difficult for you to hand him over,but as an only dog,I am sure he'll have a wonderful life :love:
Will he be going far away from you? Is his medical condition something he'll need to be treated for forever?

Toonces
September 2nd, 2005, 08:19 AM
Hank will be moving about an hr and a half away, not so far that we can't go visit.

He will always have to be on meds for this it will never go away, if taken off them he would flare up again and his potential adopters are aware of this and I could tell by the way they were with him that his is going to be in good hands and very well cared for. He will be going with all of his vet records and my vet has said that if his new vet wants to dicuss anything she will be more than happy to talk to them.

chico2
September 2nd, 2005, 05:48 PM
Toonces,I am so happy for Hank and it must be a great relief for you,knowing he'll be loved and taken care of,although the parting will be difficult.
You have been absolutely wonderful with Hank and I wish him all the best and many happy years with his new family....hugs to both you and sweet Hank :love:

Toonces
September 12th, 2005, 05:46 AM
Hank went to his new home on sat, they called me and he has settled in quite well and is doing great. I posted a thankyou in the thankyou forum for all of you that have loved him. I will let you know how he does in his new home and if I get pics will post them for all to see.

chico2
September 12th, 2005, 07:19 AM
Toonces,I am happy for Hank,but still a couple of tears fell :sad: I hope he'll adjust well to his new home :fingerscr

Toonces
October 15th, 2005, 03:21 PM
Well Hank is doing well and very spoiled, he is never alone and goes everywhere with his new mom and dad, on weekends he spends his time at the cottage (he has 2 to choose from) he is gaining weight and I have not seen any recent pics yet but they tell me he looks better every day. He is a neighbour hood star and has lots of new adoring fans but that comes to no surprise to me. As soon as I get a pic I will be sure to post.