Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Digital Camera Question

Sneaky2006
May 24th, 2005, 01:20 PM
I read on another thread with picture taking tips that you shouldn't use flash if you don't have to and I totally agree, it reduces the mirror eye BS and makes pics seem their natural colors. BUT I turned off the flash on my camera and now every pic I take is blurry, does anyone know why? I know for a fact it is only because of the flash being off because I set the camera on the desk, took a pic, turned the flash off, took the same exact pic from the same spot on the desk and it's blurry.
Does that mean the camera isn't focusing because it's not light enough?

Princesss04
May 24th, 2005, 01:23 PM
Do you have a motion stablizer button? If I turn my flash off I have hit it two times not once because if not it turns off the stablizer button and it will not take a good picture! :D What kind of camera do you have?

Sneaky2006
May 24th, 2005, 01:30 PM
I don't think it has the motion stabilizer. The settings are either flash/auto/flash off... I think that's all as far as flash goes.
It's a Hewlett Packard Photosmart something... I don't have it right in front of me.

Princesss04
May 24th, 2005, 01:34 PM
What do the pictures look like if you leave it on auto?

JDG
May 24th, 2005, 01:36 PM
When you don't use the flash you need to make sure you hold the camera VERY steady (and hope the models don't decide at that moment they need a break or something), and go through the 'focus' step of taking a picture. . .

(you know how you can half press the button (focus) then all the way (take the photo) )

Its harder to get good shots this way - but trust me the end product of a good photo is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO worth it! :p

JDG
May 24th, 2005, 01:37 PM
I believe the 'auto' function works on light levels. . . . so if you are taking indoor photos most often the flash would automaticly come on.

Sneaky2006
May 24th, 2005, 01:45 PM
When you don't use the flash you need to make sure you hold the camera VERY steady That's why I did the test with putting the camera on the desk to take a pic with flash and without, without moving it. I thought I was moving the camera everytime, I knew I wasn't!

Yeah we were using the auto and it came on everytime in the house so far so pics are the same (glowing eyes and washed out look)

JDG
May 24th, 2005, 01:46 PM
hummm. . .weird.

Does your camera have a zoom? how close to the subjects are you?

Prin
May 24th, 2005, 02:34 PM
What about outside? Maybe you need a lot more light?

Sneaky2006
May 24th, 2005, 03:07 PM
Don't know how close... a few feet maybe.

I'm going to try it outside but if it's on auto the flash probably wouldn't go on anyway.

Schwinn
May 25th, 2005, 09:19 AM
Are you turning the camera over right away to see if the flash went off? :D

We've got a Photo Smart, and have never had that problem. That's a new one for me.

raingirl
May 25th, 2005, 09:47 AM
My camera is like that...the auto function sucks for taking pics indoor without the flash.

I have a Fujifinepix S3000... "sudo SLR". I find it I get the best indoor pics if I play with the fstop and all the other functions that I'm still learning.

Most digitals don't take good indoor photos unless you use the flash, or you can play with the settings to open the shutter longer to let in more light...and a tripod really helps as digitals are more sensitive to balance than films cameras.

badger
May 25th, 2005, 09:53 AM
Try pushing down on the shutter in two stages when you aren't using a flash, maybe it needs more time to focus, with less available light. Push it down halfway, wait a couple seconds, and then all the way. Just a thought. When I get fuzzy pictures - and I always turn off the flash if it's possible - it's usually because I went too fast.

Great idea to adjust the shutter speed.