Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Morning sickness!

lilith_rizel
May 24th, 2005, 11:16 AM
It has gotten worse the past couple of days. :yuck: I have tried crackers, ginger ale, everything, and nothing seems to be staying down. It seems as if the only time I don't feel horrible, is if I am walking around somewhere, or at someone's house.

goldenblaze
May 24th, 2005, 11:27 AM
Sorry can't help no idea what more to try but I feel sorry for you. I remember I only had night sickness never morning and that was bad enough. Hope it's over soon, good luck.

Princesss04
May 24th, 2005, 11:34 AM
My best friend when she had morning sickness she drank, I can not think what to call it, carbonated water ???? The water that is in the coke machine before the coke sugar was added. She said it was nasty but she would drink it and it would settle her stomach and she would be fine than. It sounds gross to me but if it works than sound worth it. I have not had a baby so I am not sure what to tell you. :D

lilith_rizel
May 24th, 2005, 11:41 AM
I think she is talking about seltzer water. I have heard that is supposed to work. I have to go shopping today anyways, so maybe I will pick up a small bottle of it....

Eleni
May 24th, 2005, 11:43 AM
peppermint candies helped my morning sickness.

and if i avoided heavy foods and dairy it tended to be less.

Eleni

Princesss04
May 24th, 2005, 11:43 AM
I did some looking on the web and I read in many places that vitamin B can help.

You may have heard that morning sickness can be caused by a B vitamin deficiency. While taking a vitamin B6 supplement does seem to help ease nausea in many pregnant women, that doesn't mean they have a vitamin deficiency. In fact, at least one study has shown no significant differences in the levels of B6 in women with morning sickness and those without. No one knows why B6 is helpful. There's also some evidence that taking a multivitamin at the time of conception and in early pregnancy helps prevent severe morning sickness, but again, no one knows why.

Princesss04
May 24th, 2005, 11:45 AM
Here are some more things I found on the net!

What can I do to get relief?
Not all of the following suggestions are supported by hard evidence, but they're all commonly recommended by obstetricians and midwives, and many women swear by them.

Try to avoid foods and smells that trigger your nausea. If that seems like almost everything, it's okay to just eat the few things that do appeal to you for this part of your pregnancy, even if they don't add up to a balanced diet. It might also help to stick to bland foods and try to eat food cold or at room temperature, which tends to have less of an odor than hot food.

Keep simple snacks, such as crackers, by your bed. When you first wake up, nibble a few crackers and then rest for 20 to 30 minutes before getting out of bed. Snacking on crackers may also help you feel better if you wake up feeling nauseated in the middle of the night.

Eat small, frequent meals or snacks throughout the day so that your stomach is never empty. Some women find that carbohydrates are most appealing when they feel nauseated, but one small study found that high-protein foods were likely to work better.

Try to avoid fatty foods, which take longer to digest, particularly during pregnancy, when your stomach takes longer to empty. Also avoid rich, spicy, acidic, and fried foods, which can irritate your stomach and digestive system.

Try drinking fluids primarily between meals. And try not to drink so much at once that your stomach feels full, as that will make you less hungry for food. A good strategy is to sip something frequently throughout the day and aim to drink about a quart and a half altogether. If you've been vomiting a lot, try a sports drink that contains glucose, salt, and potassium to replace lost electrolytes.

Give yourself time to relax and take naps if you can. Watching a movie (preferably not one about food!) or visiting with a friend can help relieve stress and take your mind off your discomfort. Or try hypnosis. While there's no definitive evidence that it helps with morning sickness, it's been shown to be effective in combating nausea during chemotherapy.

Try taking your prenatal vitamins with food or just before bed. Or ask your healthcare provider whether you can switch to a prenatal vitamin with a low dose of iron or no iron for the first trimester, since this mineral can be hard on your digestive system.

Ask your provider about taking vitamin B6. No one knows why B6 eases nausea in some women, but research indicates that it works for a number of women and it's been consistently shown to be safe when taken in commonly recommended doses. The usual dose for treating morning sickness is between 10 and 25 milligrams three times a day, but check with your provider before taking anything. She can tell you how much to take and whether or not the amount in your prenatal vitamin should count as one of the doses. (The amount of vitamin B6 in supplements varies by brand.)

Try ginger, an alternative remedy thought to settle the stomach and help quell queasiness. See if you can find ginger ale made with real ginger (most common sodas aren't). Or grate some fresh ginger into hot water for ginger tea, or see if ginger candies help. A few studies found that taking powdered ginger root in capsules provided some relief. (Ask your provider before taking ginger supplements. As with many other things that are helpful in normal amounts, the effects of megadoses are unknown.)

Try an acupressure band, a soft cotton wristband that's sold at drugstores. This simple and inexpensive device, designed to ward off seasickness, has helped many pregnant women through morning sickness (although some research suggests that it may be largely a placebo effect). You strap it on so that the plastic button pushes against an acupressure point on the underside of your wrist.

Ask your provider about a device that regularly stimulates the underside of your wrist with a mild electric current. The device costs about $75 and is available by prescription only but it's safe, and research has shown that this "acustimulation" technique work well for some women.

If nothing else works for you, ask your provider about taking an anti-nausea medication that's considered safe during your first trimester.

Eleni
May 24th, 2005, 11:49 AM
If nothing else works for you, ask your provider about taking an anti-nausea medication that's considered safe during your first trimester.

My doctor prescribed Diclectin with my first child, my nausea was severe, could barely even keep water down, it took away most of the nausea, not all.

Eleni

Safyre
May 24th, 2005, 04:26 PM
My bestfriend has had to be on morning sickness meds for both of her pregnancy because it got soo bad.

Weridly enough, she could keep down Fruit Loops. Fruit Loops for breakfast ... lunch... dinner... snacks. She never wants to look at a fruit loop again :o

Schwinn
May 25th, 2005, 10:15 AM
Cheryl hasn't really had morning sickness, but she does feel naseous from time to time. She makes a cocktail with cranberry juice and ginger ale. I know neither of those work on thier own for her, but together they do the trick.