Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Calling all party/picnic throwers

Sneaky2006
May 23rd, 2005, 10:38 PM
I have a hostess type question.
We are having our first picnic of the year for our family and friends this weekend to open the pool, celebrate summer and all that jazz.
I can never ever plan on the right amount of food to have. Either waaayy too much that we're eating the leftovers for a week, or not enough and I feel like a dork at my own party.
We are grilling the normal type stuff... hotdogs, burgers, sausages and having pizza... do you have to have one of everything for each person realistically?
Please help! I'm not so good at this! :o

JDG
May 23rd, 2005, 10:46 PM
How many people are coming??

Something my boss in England use to do was a BYOM bbq. (Bring your own meat). . .hear me out. . . hahahah

He would supply all the breads you could need(cheap), the booze (which doesn't go bad if you don't drink it or open it), salads, condiments, chips/dips, snacks and hors d'oeuves. . .

The biggest wastage at a BBQ is the meat, so people bring what they plan to eat. . . .

It means you don't have to worry about guessing, and its a huge $$Money$$ saver too. . . .

In some ways - it does sound hokey, but the invitations we got were always a hoot. . .

Sneaky2006
May 23rd, 2005, 10:54 PM
Thanks for the reply! Well that is certainly interesting! But for this party, we've already asked everyone to come and some of them are bringing things, desserts and stuff like that, so I don't think I could ask them to bring meat, lol!
It's not a huge amount of people by any means, roughly 30 people with a few kids mixed in.
Plus a few that said they may not be able to come, but probably will anyway!

JDG
May 23rd, 2005, 11:02 PM
My dad will BBQ outside in the dead of winter in a snow blizzard with 15 feet of snow. He is a die hard! He likes to think of himself as an expert, but the expert can still burn the &*% out of burgers! hahaha

My dad's 'forumla' for bbq.

Almost everyone will go for burgers (unless there is something like steak)
a good helping of those people will have seconds of the same - so you need almost twice as many burgers as people. Say about 45. . .

Sausages and Hotdogs would make up the rest. . . .

My dad says that most big salads are about '20 servings'

. . .do you have any veggie/vegan friends. . .

Good luck, and if these numbers are off - its cool, you can blame my Dad! haha ;) :thumbs up :p

Prin
May 23rd, 2005, 11:57 PM
Ask first if anybody is a veggie or vegan and then I say do about 1.5 burgers per person and 1/2 hotdog per person (who eats meat of course)...

So buy 2 packs of 12 hotdogs (cook 'em as you go along), and do 45 burgers... That's my opinion. 3 burgers for every boy teenager, 2 for every man adult, and one for every woman. Burger and a hot dog for every kid and a few hot dogs for good luck. :)

Keep mental track so next year you'll have a better idea of people's appetites and preferences. I've hosted so many parties since I was very young... You get to be a better judge of people's bellies after a couple. :)

Cactus Flower
May 24th, 2005, 12:32 AM
I always just freeze whatever is left over. That kind of stuff is great to have on hand when you don't feel like cooking, or are pressed for time.

Better to have too much than too little, I say.

Sneaky2006
May 24th, 2005, 07:53 AM
I normally do try to think of how things were in the past...burgers normally do go faster but then last year we got this awesome hotdog sauce... everyone ate their norm and then everyone KILLED all of the hotdogs and wanted more.
We're going to pre-cook because it's such a hassle to cook with everyone drooling... my family members are a bunch of vultures. :D
I guess I'll make sure I have way more and if it doesn't go I'll freeze it! Plus I'll have some extra ready to be cooked if all of it goes.
And nope, no veggie or vegan people.
Thanks everyone!