Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Stupid Dog Tricks

raingirl
May 23rd, 2005, 08:56 PM
Anyone have any good ideas for stupid things to teach your dog??

I was on the Woofstock website, and they have a stupid dog trick contest each day. I was wondering if there is anything I can try and teach Odin in the next two weeks!

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 23rd, 2005, 09:02 PM
Could you teach him to stick out his tongue or
Belch on command

JDG
May 23rd, 2005, 09:03 PM
What tricks does Odin do now. . .perhaps a hybrid of an existing trick would be easiest to teach him in 2 weeks. . . .

raingirl
May 23rd, 2005, 09:10 PM
Lets see.. he knows:

sit
stand
down
come
paw
wave
stay
wait
roll over
play dead (not that well though.. it's a new one)

Maybe I could try and teach him to stick his tongue out...any idea how that would work??

levimh
May 23rd, 2005, 09:31 PM
What about crawl?

raingirl
May 23rd, 2005, 09:37 PM
that's an idea...probably easier than sticking his tongue out..

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 23rd, 2005, 09:44 PM
I guess when he happened to stick out his tongue you could say "stick out your tongue" and give him a treat

Actually could you get him to crawl and then play dead sort of likes hes been shot like in a western movie. Maybe he could wear a bandana and a cowboy hat and you could have a fake shoot out then he could crawl then play dead that would be too cute or even just playing dead without the crawl.

Safyre
May 23rd, 2005, 09:48 PM
I taught Justice to retrieve other dogs, and to bring me a can of pop. lol working with thier normal, breed habits, makes it easiest to train them to do silly things.

levimh
May 23rd, 2005, 09:55 PM
I taught Levi crawl, spin, speak, hold, dance and paw/other paw. I can't seem to teach him rollover or play dead.

You could teach Odin to "be white". :D

What about wiggle or dance?

Karin
May 23rd, 2005, 10:35 PM
The term "stupid" is rather degrading. *my opinion*

JDG
May 23rd, 2005, 10:54 PM
'Silly' pet tricks. . . ;)

How about 'playing' piano (keyboard)

Can bulldogs walk on their hind legs?

We've seen pictures of Odin and your BF watching TV, could Odin learn to 'Channel Surf' on the remote??

How about 'mixing' cake mix in a bowl?? He could then help you make your friends wedding cake ;)

Does Odin do any fetching tricks? He could get certain ingredients or something. . . . . .

:p

Prin
May 23rd, 2005, 11:30 PM
Jemma knows how to "shuffle". She lies down and shuffles her front feet. I've never seen a dog do that...

She also learned "peek". I put her in a room and I go around a corner and she peeks around- just her nose to her eyes come around.

Boo whispers-- that I've seen... Barking without sound? It's not hard to teach if they already do it on their own sometimes.

Safyre
May 24th, 2005, 12:20 AM
I've taught Justice to 'sneak' ... which is to crawl with her belly on the ground, usually around the footstool or something. *shrugs*

levimh
May 24th, 2005, 09:22 AM
I thought of another one. What about "back up". I taught Levi that without knowing it and now when I say it, he backs up. It's actually really silly looking.

kandy
May 24th, 2005, 12:39 PM
My hubby is trying to teach Parker and Hazel to shake paws or give 5 to each other - he says they've done it on accident a couple of times but he hasn't had any luck getting them to do it on command. I think the crawl thing sounds like it would be really cute! And crawl, then play dead would be hilarious! :D

Maro
May 25th, 2005, 02:30 PM
i taught my dog how to do all the normal tricks in 3 different languages. people freak right out when they see her respond.

Prin
May 26th, 2005, 01:04 AM
Hey I remembered one today in the car!! (Boo's nose was dripping...) When Boo had kennel cough, he had nothing but snot. Everywhere, snot. So we actually taught him to blow into a kleenex. LOL. Didn't get much out of him, but it was so easy to teach and so funny. In public, if your dog's nose is drippy, pull out a kleenex like the moms do and say "Blow." LOL.

You just put the kleenex on their nose, say "Blow" and wait for the exhale... After a few, they get it.

JessXx
May 26th, 2005, 01:14 AM
:rolleyes: We taught Shyla "cat" and she washes her face like a cat, with her paws...
She's really smart... She learns quick and its funny. :party:

Schwinn
May 26th, 2005, 09:51 AM
Other than the usuals, I taught Daisy whisper and am working on grumble. I had started on dance, but her knee is bothering her again. What I'm really going to shoot for is changing baby's diapers though... :yuck:

JDG
May 26th, 2005, 10:00 AM
These all sound like great tricks :) :) . . . .I wonder how hard it is to teach cats how to do them. . . . ;) :) :cool:

Raingirl, what trick are you and Odin working on???

kandy
May 26th, 2005, 12:06 PM
What I'm really going to shoot for is changing baby's diapers though... :yuck:

I bet lots of people would be interested in that one! :D

Safyre
May 26th, 2005, 12:09 PM
KDG - my old cat knew how to open doors ... beleive me, we didn't try to teach her that. I taught her to shake hands, and to 'box' though. Patience and praise... alot more than with a dog.
I treated my cats like dogs since i wasn't allowed dogs for a long long time. lol

doggy lover
May 26th, 2005, 09:40 PM
Tucker speaks, sings, crawls, rolls over, jumps over someone on all fours on the floor, plays on jungle gyms at the parks, loves going down the slide, goes through hoops, paw, high five well thats all I can think of right now. I tried to get him give you a kleenex when you sneeze but he would just take the kleenex and eat it, so I gave up on that one.

Prin
May 26th, 2005, 09:42 PM
LOL I know so many doggies who would eat the kleenex... :)

doggy lover
May 26th, 2005, 09:43 PM
Oh yeah my last dog I thought to smile, you would see a whole mouth of teeth, not a good idea as one day a new vet asked to see his teeth and he showed them to her. She wasn't impressed and made us muzzle him, after that I always asked for his regular vet and never did he ask to see his smile.