Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How long will it take for my golden to stop biting...

Roach9
May 23rd, 2005, 07:32 PM
and when will it learn to do tricks. I've tried to teach but she WILL NOT listen, she's very hyper... but very cute so it's all good. Just wondering the average.

levimh
May 23rd, 2005, 07:44 PM
I'm not sure when the biting will stop. It's just a puppy thing, but I would still correct her when she bites, by saying "ouch!", or "ow!". As for tricks, I would wait a little while or a least do little bits here and there - don't try anything too big as she is still just a puppy. She's only been with you a few days...so she still has to get used to you, her family and her surroundings. :D

LavenderRott
May 23rd, 2005, 08:25 PM
This is a 7 week old pup that you have had for TWO days! Give it a chance to get used to it's new home away from all of it's siblings.

It will probably take a good couple of weeks of consistant training to teach it not to use it's teeth. Puppies don't have fingers - they can't grab and explore things like human babies - they use their mouths instead.

At this stage, I would worry more about housebreaking then "tricks".

Trinitie
May 24th, 2005, 10:22 AM
and when will it learn to do tricks. I've tried to teach but she WILL NOT listen, she's very hyper... but very cute so it's all good. Just wondering the average.Of course she won't listen. She's a baby. Picture trying to teach a human baby, of about 3 months old, to drive a car, or do a back flip. It isn't reasonable to expect it, so I wouldn't try to do it. The same holds true for a baby dog. Don't expect the mouthing to go away, ever. The only thing you can expect, is the amount of force to change. You have a "mouthy" breed, and they want to carry/hold/play with things in their mouths.

For now, as others have said, concentrate only on potty training. Since she's a bit timid, avoid any type of negative training, and only use positive training. When she does something right, like go potty outside, PRAISE PRAISE PRAISE. When she does something bad, slap YOURSELF for not paying attention to her needs, calmly place her in her crate, and go clean up the mess.

SnowDancer
May 24th, 2005, 10:45 AM
I agree with the comments made by all other posters. And, I have to add, that I am sure you will now agree your parents' decision not to adopt 2 puppies.

kandy
May 24th, 2005, 12:30 PM
We've had Hazel for a little over 3 weeks now, and she is still learning the "no biting". She has changed the way she bites though - she is trying the little nibbles with just her front teeth instead of a full on bite. It is quite funny that if she bites and gets told no biting, she will try the nibble thing to see if she gets the same response - which she does. She also doesn't think the no biting rule applies to your feet, or your nose while she's giving kisses (two licks, one nose nibble) LOL! I wouldn't worry about the tricks just yet either. Hazel can sit and shake paws, but I think alot of that is coming from the older puppy, Parker. He knows that to get a treat he has to sit and will normally be asked to at least shake (if not lay down). She has picked up most of that from him - if she thinks she's getting a treat, she'll sit down with one paw in the air because she thinks that is what it takes to get a treat - she will even sit that way in front of the cupboard where her treats are. I would concentrate on the housetraining and no biting things first.