Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog proofing yard

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 23rd, 2005, 04:53 PM
I would like to start puppy/dog proofing our backyard for our dog/puppy that we have yet to meet and adopt. We do have a fully fenced yard but a smaller dog could definately slip under it in places and under the gate and also in the corner where the fences meet. Just wondering what people have done to dog proof their yards. I was think of chicken wire but wonder if a dog would just dig underneath it. Any ideas or suggestions of what everyone has done to doggie proof their yard would be great.

:)

BMDLuver
May 23rd, 2005, 05:32 PM
Is your fence wood or something else?

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 23rd, 2005, 08:06 PM
Its wood and their is gaps in the corner because we had a new fence put in the people that put it in did not match it up properly in the corners so there is gaps which I would half to fill somehow.

BMDLuver
May 23rd, 2005, 08:36 PM
What we did for puppies.... put 10 x 2's across the bottom of each span at crawl under height, in corners, buy 1"x1" page wire and use the staples for the wire to hammer into the corner beams. Only need to do about 4' height for puppies and small dogs. If pup is a climber then you'll need to go to 5'. Kept puppies from 3 weeks of age, onwards in our yard.