Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Fake biting

lisa-lisa
May 23rd, 2005, 04:01 PM
Hi, any animal behaviourists out there? My two Italian Greyhounds do the weirdest thing and I'm wondering if anyone can tell me why...

When we're cuddling, if they yawn, they put their open mouths directly around my arms/ wrists as though preparing to bite me. Then when the yawn is done they pull away without ever touching me with their teeth. It seems to be an affectionate thing... but I want to make sure in case I'm encouraging dominant behaviour by allowing it, or some other no-no.

Anyone? Thanks!!

Jackie467
May 23rd, 2005, 04:11 PM
I have an IG too! great little dogs aren't they? my baby Candi does that yawn thing too, she never bites down just mouths me. I think it's an affectionate thing because Candi never shows any behavior that can be considered dominant with me. I don't think it's a problem, at least it has never been a probelm with my baby. I never really thought about it though so i'll be interested to see what the others have to say. I'd love to see some pics of your babies, there aren't many IGs on here.

levimh
May 23rd, 2005, 04:12 PM
I'm no animal behavourist or anything, but my GUESS is it's nothing. My dog does the something like that...we'll be playing and he'll go to bite/mouth me and it's like he realizes, "wait, I can't bite her" and he'll yawn instead. Does it all the time.

lisa-lisa
May 23rd, 2005, 05:15 PM
I have an IG too! great little dogs aren't they? my baby Candi does that yawn thing too, she never bites down just mouths me. I think it's an affectionate thing because Candi never shows any behavior that can be considered dominant with me. I don't think it's a problem, at least it has never been a probelm with my baby. I never really thought about it though so i'll be interested to see what the others have to say. I'd love to see some pics of your babies, there aren't many IGs on here.

Hi Jackie,
I love my IGs sooo much! So affectionate and sweet... they're perfect for me!

Here's kind of a lousy photo of the babies wresting. Overexposed. But the girl is the blue one and the boy is the fawn one. They wrestle all the time, when they're not sleeping!
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid168/pdf966a9f2621dba9b84c2fabc867a498/f41ff7a5.jpg

Your baby is adorable too. How old?

Jackie467
May 23rd, 2005, 05:19 PM
unfortunetly all I got was a red x but that could be because my computer is acting up. My little girl is a year and 5 months now but in my avatar she was about 4 months old. They are just little cuddle bugs.

Jackie467
May 23rd, 2005, 05:25 PM
ok now I got the pic. they are just adorable. how old are they? I wanted a blue or black, but when I saw Candi I just fell in love and the color didn't matter.

downloader
May 23rd, 2005, 06:54 PM
yawnning is a sign of submissive behavior. Dog will often do it when they are not sure of something, or if they want something. Of course its also a sign of being tired.

www.bluewhippet.net

lisa-lisa
May 23rd, 2005, 07:07 PM
Thanks downloader. Sounds like I don't need to worry about the fake bite that goes along with the yawn. Funny little critters!

Jackie, my pups are eight months and are littermates. In spite of their familial connections they couldn't be more different!

Blue Puppy is very outgoing, a greedy eater, and very tiny (hasn't made five pounds yet!) She has had health issues... two broken legs (same leg broke twice... at the breeder's before I got her) and luxated patellas on the back knees that required immediate surgery. In spite of all that, she is now healing well and happy as can be.

Fawn Puppy is much bigger, about 8 pounds now, physically pretty close to perfect (the breeder was horrified when I had him neutered!), a picky eater, and also very shy.

What a pair they are! They're both cuddly as can be and very sweet-tempered. I worry constantly about them breaking their spindly little legs as they charge around and wrestle with each other... but that stuff is only hard on me and not on them! :)

Jackie467
May 23rd, 2005, 11:26 PM
I'v never had a problem with Candi breaking her legs (knock on wood) but just today I had to take her to the vet because she ripped her dew claw again. but other than that and a slight skin problem was her only problem (once again knock on wood). Candi is also a very picky eater but weighs 13 lbs now. I could talk about IGs all day lol.

levimh
May 24th, 2005, 09:35 AM
yawnning is a sign of submissive behavior. Dog will often do it when they are not sure of something, or if they want something. Of course its also a sign of being tired.
Wow, that explains so much.

Schwinn
May 24th, 2005, 09:43 AM
As for the fake bite, I agree it isn't an issue if there are no dominance issues. Daisy does this as well while playing, and if I yelp or say "ow" (usually because I've done something stupid), she jump back and bow her head, then start licking me like mad. She's a rotti/pit X.