Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

litter training

naiveprophet
May 23rd, 2005, 12:28 PM
My kitten Piper is seven weeks old, and we've been trying to wean her and train her on the litter box for about a week now, and she's not catching on. Her mom, Daphne, isn't letting her continue to suckle her either, she keeps moving away every time Piper tries to feed.

As for the litter box, that's been a complete disaster. Piper will start peeing on the floor, I'll carry her to the litter box, and she'll climb out again and proceed to poop on the floor. I need help. Seriously. It's been far too long since we've had an untrained kitten in this house, so maybe we're not doing something right.

Lucky Rescue
May 23rd, 2005, 02:00 PM
I've never had a kitten who needed to be litterbox trained, not even feral kittens.

In the house, the mother cat teaches them to use the litterbox. What your kitten is doing is very peculiar.

How far is the litterbox away from the kitten? When tiny kittens need to go, they need to go NOW and crossing a room would be too far and too late.

How high are the sides of the box? Does the mother use this same box?

What kind of litter are you using? Try plain clay litter. Do you have a dog crate? If so, put the kitten and litterbox in there. Put her food and water and bed in too, so she will be forced to use the box.

CyberKitten
May 23rd, 2005, 03:12 PM
I have never heard of a mom cat (except one that was not there or ill) who did not show her kittens how to use a litter box. Kittens need to know from her how to do their thing <g>. Did you take your kitten and take her paws and scratch her paws with her in the box? Does she know where the box is and is it very close?

Safyre
May 23rd, 2005, 03:23 PM
My bestfriend just went through the same thing with her kitty.
The momma cat would go to the bathroom, but Iggy just would not catch on.

One day my friend did catch Iggy peeing on the carpet and she brought him to the litter box, he didn't catch on and just climbed out of the litter box! I told her, keep bringing him tot he box just like you would a puppy, she then also put Momma cat, and Iggy alone in a room with the litter box food and toys for Momma to show Iggy what to do. After a week, he's now got it :)

naiveprophet
May 24th, 2005, 03:13 PM
No, Daphne doesnít appear to be showing Piper what to do. Our house is huge, we keep the litter boxes in the laundry room, near the basement. My momís unwilling to move the litter boxes anywhere else. Our first litter box, for Daphne and Butterscotch, was kept on a chair (because our puppy had a habit of spilling the litter all over the floor) and the sides were too high, so we got a new one for Piper, and we keep that on the floor. Daphne uses it too, though, so she really should be showing Piper.

I took both of them into the room and tried to keep them there, but I donít want to just lock them in there because.. thatís cruel. I donít know what sort of litter it is, but we donít have a crate. The only thing we have is a cat carrier, and thatís too small for the litter box to fitÖ

I have shown Piper the litter box time and time again, Iíve scratched at it with her paws, and she just squirms away and jumps out. And again, she isnít weaning either. The last time we had kittens was many years ago, I was probably nine or ten, and I honestly donít remember having these problems.

The problem is probably that itís too far away thoughÖ Iíve seen her go in the den, and even on the staircase. So, maybe if I do keep her in the laundry room for awhile, sheíll get the hang of it. I just hate to scar her for life, being contained in one room.

CyberKitten
May 24th, 2005, 04:01 PM
It is actually better for her to be in one room until she learns to use the litter box - and she will!! Plus, if you have a large house, it is better for her to be contained until she gets to roam the whole place. And that really will not take long!!

Lucky Rescue
May 24th, 2005, 06:40 PM
Litterboxes on chairs...in remote locations of the house.....Now I see why the kitten won't use the litterbox. You have virtually taught her not to use it. I know this was not done on purpose but this is the result.

I just hate to scar her for life, being contained in one room.

The number 1 reason cats are dumped is litterbox problems. If you dont' confine her and teach her now to use it, you could end up with a cat who will NEVER use it. Being contained in one room is much less traumatic than being killed at the shelter.

Your kitten has already been "scarred" by not being given access to a litterbox when she needed one to learn how to use it.

Your mom may not like litterboxes around the house, but I'm sure she would be even less tolerant of an adult cat who refuses to use one.

It's "pay me now or pay me later".

Eleni
May 25th, 2005, 07:20 AM
Lucky is right, when my cats were kittens we kept the litter right in the middle of the livingroom

while it wasnt fun to look at, the cats were trained in no time, the box was only there a few weeks till the kitten got the hang of the box and i then moved it to the hall closet in the main part of the house.

I still keep a litter box there, as well as a second in the back room

Eleni

JessXx
May 26th, 2005, 01:44 AM
I dont know... eventually Piper will get the idea...
Pepsi wasn't too bad. We put her in the litter every hour or so when she
was really little and when she was around 7 weeks it was every 2-3 hours. She went in there at times, we praised her. and another thing that works is to put your cat in a small room with just the floor and walls, food and toys (whatever else...) No beds or surfaces and keep the litter box in there... eventually Piper should get it...