Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

The dog who cried wolf....

Prin
May 23rd, 2005, 12:46 AM
My doggie is a faker. Jemma faked an ear infection once and cost me $37 in consult fees just to have the vet say, "There's nothing wrong-- the ear isn't even dirty."

Then, last summer, when my man was leaving for work way up north for a couple of weeks, she started limping. She saw him packing and we went to the park (without the man) and she was limping worse than my old dog did with her arthritis... I checked her leg and nothing was sore. She was getting sympathy from everybody and they were all criticizing me for not taking better care of her and not pitying her... The man showed up at the park and VOILA!! No more limp. She was running and playing... :rolleyes: The limp never came back...

So this week, she got a limp again. So I palpate her whole leg and nothing hurts. Nothing is uncomfortable. I picked her up and she screamed. So of course the people in the park assume I am underestimating her "injury"... Ten minutes later, she switched legs!!!

It is so hard to know when she is being serious now and when she's faking it. I make her take it easy when she limps (2nd time ever that she limps), but I am so skeptical about whether or not to bring her to the vet. It'll cost me at least $80 for the consult and an xray--- but I don't know when it's real.

This time I think at most she may have strained a muscle, either her peck or bicep, but when I stretch her, she doesn't complain at all. She growls when you HUG her, and she didn't growl when I was stretching her... I mean the limp gets worse when she knows you're watching.

She's better today, pretty well no limp at all. But I'm wondering how many times she's going to cry wolf before I stop even wondering... I'll probably never stop wondering... We give her so much attention anyway, she doesn't have to fake anything... :confused:

So what do I do next time? Do I take her to the vet and look like a goof when nothing is wrong... AGAIN? Or do I just follow my gut?

Cactus Flower
May 23rd, 2005, 01:02 AM
How does a dog "fake" an ear infection?

Princesss04
May 23rd, 2005, 09:53 AM
How does a dog "fake" an ear infection?

I was wondering the same thing. But I am guessing rubbing the ear and whinning, etc. That is what I could think of. That is kind of funny! That she makes up a sore leg. LOL I guess it is not funny but it still is. One smart baby! :D :D

kandy
May 23rd, 2005, 10:21 AM
I believe that dogs are smart enough to fake an injury to get extra attention. My corgi x got in a minor fight with another dog at the lake one time, we broke it up almost before they even got started, but Boon kept yiping and holding up one of her legs. We felt all over, couldn't find anything. All that night, if you were looking at her, she was limping and holding the leg up. I watched her through the camper window - and guess what? No limp - she was running and playing - but as soon as I tapped on the window - she stopped running around and lifted that leg back up! It would be really hard to get a stranger to believe you if you said - she's fine - she's just faking! LOL!

Princesss04
May 23rd, 2005, 10:22 AM
You are right dogs are smart and they know it! LOL :D

twodogsandacat
May 23rd, 2005, 11:13 AM
On Tuesday when the stitches come out Dalton’s Hematoma (blood vessels broken in the ear), heartworm test, blood-work and Sentinel will have cost me $900 in the last month so I say spending $37 and making sure there are no issues was worth it.

As far as faking is concerned our co-worker Ed and Ed’s grandpa has the cure for that. Ed is best described as a grumpy old man of around 25. He is a farm boy and he is atypical of the old style common sense many farmers display towards animals. He comes by it honestly from his father and grandfather.

This story had us laughing in shock. Ed’s dog is hit by a car turning around in his driveway. The dog is now dragging his rear and it looks pretty grave. Grandpa comes out of the house with the gun, starts to walk off behind the barn and calls the dog. This is old school –taking care of a sick animal – he’s going to shoot the dog. The dog looks at Grandpa and the gun, runs over to Ed and starts dancing, jumping rolling. Everything it can to say ‘look at me I’m OK’. Grandpa returns the gun to the house.

That dog lived to be pretty old before Ed finally took him to the vet and had him PTS.

BTW Ed will hardly ever call in sick. If he does we can be assured that if he were a dog he’d be sick enough to ‘go behind the barn with Grandpa’.

Cactus Flower
May 23rd, 2005, 11:23 AM
TwoDogs, that is HILARIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!

Prin
May 23rd, 2005, 12:55 PM
For faking the ear infection- she just leans and groans when you rub her ear... I've spent soooo much money on these two doggies in the past 3 years (Boo cost me over $2000 in the frist three months with his incessant vomiting and I spent about $800 on Jemma's ears...), spending more for faking it is not fun... I guess maybe she'll learn that whenever she fakes it, she'll go see the vet-- hardly any dogs like that. :D

kandy
May 23rd, 2005, 02:13 PM
It probably is best to take her to the vet. Maybe she will learn not to fake it! When I was a kid, I remember not wanting to go to school one day, told my mom that I was too sick. She was no fool, so she schedules a Dr.'s appt for me and takes me in. When I got to the Dr.'s office, they took my temperature and said that I had tonsilitis or something and I had to get a shot! I don't know if my mom asked the Dr. to say I really was sick and needed the shot or what, but I never faked it to get out of school again! :D

Cactus Flower
May 23rd, 2005, 02:15 PM
LOL, she leans and groans? That's not a dog faking an ear infection. That's a dog liking her ears rubbed, and an owner saying OMG I'd better take her to the vet :p .

Raj groans when I rub her ears. Of course, she groans when I rub anything :D .

doggy lover
May 23rd, 2005, 05:50 PM
Maybe she has something for the vet :D

Prin
May 23rd, 2005, 10:38 PM
LOL she DOES!! She LOVES the vet. As long as she's not up on the table, she howls at him and does her little happy dance for him... She's a man's dog don't forget... She'd leave with any guy between 20 and 35 over me any day.

For the leaning and groaning, when she's "cured", she stops doing it. When they're itchy, she moans. When they're clean and healthy, you can scratch and rub and nothing happens... That's why I say she's faking... :)

Lucky it's been raining all long weekend so she can rest up her leg for real. If it really is sore... :D

Schwinn
May 24th, 2005, 08:49 AM
Daisy faked for a long time after her leg surgery. I would come home from work, and she'd be at the door hobbling. Cheryl would tell me that just before she heard the truck, Daisy was running around like a maniac. The one time I took her jogging, she started limping really bad. When I started walking her home, she couldn't even keep up with me, so I carried my big tough pitbull the 4 blocks home. As soon as I put her down, she started running up and down the halls. Cheryl laughs at how often I get played by that dog!

SnowDancer
May 24th, 2005, 09:55 AM
I would have checked out. My first Wonder Wiener had been hospitalized in the late 1980s 2 times for 2 week periods for steroid treatment due to paralysis caused by disc disease - this was just before major surgeries became more common. Then one Sunday, before our regular vet started opening on Sundays, he started to limp - left front paw. I examined it thoroughly for glass etc. but nothing - but I could tell my brave soldier was in pain. So we went to emergency. They took X-rays and said he had pulled a muscle and prescribed a medication. The meds relieved the pain for a couple of days and then it started getting worse. I took him to my vet who asked for the X-rays to be couriered - they were to have already been sent to her from Emergency but hadn't. Sure enough - Dachshund NECK disc disease for which surgery was required - she knew immediately on looking at X-rays. Then his back went again. So the neuorsurgeon actually came to Toronto - neck and back - all discs - 40 days in hospital. Every time I meet someone with a Dachshund who expresses worry over potential back problems I ask if they know about the neck discs - I am still waiting for a "yes" answer. So you never know what it could be. But this pup sure learned fast that if something was wrong with his back or neck to hide behind something. If it was some other pain, he would tell me. All of this happened to him by age 3.

Cactus Flower
May 24th, 2005, 12:38 PM
Awww SnowDancer, that is sad :( . I hope your baby gets some relief.

My Mom's dog used to fake it when she didn't want to return home from her walk. She'd be playing, jumping into the pond, etc, and Mom would say "Ok, let's go home now", and turn to go home, and all of a sudden Sash would sit and hold up that paw. When Mom insisted, she'd liiiiiiimp all the way back home, stopping frequently to hold up the paw and look as pathetic as possible- and casting glances back towards the pond.
Of course, once she got home, she was fine.

I hope nothing is actually wrong with Jemma's leg (or spine?).

My dogs don't really fake much. Except Raj can be resting comfortably in her bed after a bath- covered in a blanket- and if I say in a pitying voice "Poor baby, Raj, are you cold?", she'll start SHIVERING LIKE MAD for extra attention. And it always works.