Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Need help for my cats

arrow
May 22nd, 2005, 06:36 PM
I have two little kittens nearly two months old. One female (Princess) and the other one male (Prince). :)

I have trained them to litter in their box and eat at regular times.

Unfortunately I dont know a lot about cats and they seem to get in to a lot of mischief because I keep them in the house, such as hiding in the most odd places, jumping in the bathroom, playing with the toilet paper, scratching the furniture and making me chase after them all over the place. They dont listen at all when I call them.

I have bought them few toys from the pet shop but they only play for a little while and then they are bored. They prefer running around in the house. I wouldnt have a problem with that but I am scared that they could get hurt.

I take them outside for a stroll but when I bring them home they go wild.

I would appreciate it if anybody can give me some tips.

Bearsmom
May 22nd, 2005, 06:38 PM
Hate to tell you this, but they're just being kittens, once they're spayed/neutered, they do seem to calm down a bit. I found a laser pointer (cheap at the dollar stores) keeps them entertained.

Sneaky2006
May 22nd, 2005, 08:10 PM
hiding in the most odd places, jumping in the bathroom, playing with the toilet paper, scratching the furniture and making me chase after them all over the place. They dont listen at all when I call them.You've just described all of my cats, and the youngest is over a year old. Only one of my cats come when called, and that's only when she feels like it. Everything you've said sounds like a happy, normal kitten.

Lucky Rescue
May 22nd, 2005, 08:12 PM
Bearsmom is right. Everything you described is what ALL kittens do - they drive us crazy and there is no way around it. Only time will calm them down. By one year old they should be a little more sedate.

Since they are so young, it might be better to put them in one room when you're out, because it's true they could get hurt or get into places they shouldn't go. Put all their toys and litterbox in with them.

Don't expect kittens to come when you call them. You can teach them gradually by calling their names every time you feed them. But being cats, they usually only come when they think there is something good waiting for them.:p

Please don't take them outside because they will always want to go out then and it's a very dangerous world for little cats.

Make sure to have the female spayed around 4 or 5 months old and the male neutered after that, if you want to avoid big problems.

CyberKitten
May 22nd, 2005, 09:38 PM
As everyone has already explained, they are just kittens doing what kittens do. My beloved Siamese kitten is now 7 1/2 months old (time goes so fast!!!) and even tho she is well trained, today I woke up to a broken teapot and an overturned plant that had landed on top of it. What are you going to do, lol She never touches the toilet paper now tho, thankfully - I think that is a rite of passage for all kittens,lol

I agree that you should keep them inside and also kitten proof your home for their safety and also to keep your valuables intact. Get a scratching post - mine is great with hers!! She scratches it regularly - no furniture for her. And play with them!! I buy mine lots of toys too but for some reason, she finds the silliest stuff to play with! But that is par for the course and I treasure the time she is a kitten!

Ghullums_mom
May 22nd, 2005, 09:40 PM
the only thing you can really do is grin and bear it. my ghullum is two and she follows me all over the place, i cant pee alone anymore. but thats the companionship i wanted.

please for the love of god keep them inside. i hate seing cats outside. they can get hurt or stolen. keep on them about the things you dont want them to do, i use a waterbottle to teach them what not to do. now all i have to do is pick it up and they stop.

a little patience and love go a long way

arrow
May 23rd, 2005, 08:10 PM
thanks a lot for all the replies... :)

from what you have written I now know that this is normal behaviour for kittens and cats in general... since I love them I guess I have to get used to their mischief. :rolleyes:

I tried to keep them in one room but they love running about... mind you I can never catch them they are just too fast for me!... :D

levimh
May 23rd, 2005, 08:30 PM
...i cant pee alone anymore. but thats the companionship i wanted.

lol, animals seem to think we need company, don't they? Both my cats and dog do that.

As for your kitties...maybe you could get them a scratch post or toys, so they'll be less envolved with your things. I got my cat toy mice when she was young and she played with them constantly - that's where she got her name (Frisky).

happycats
May 24th, 2005, 08:33 AM
thanks a lot for all the replies... :)

I tried to keep them in one room but they love running about... mind you I can never catch them they are just too fast for me!... :D

To make them come to you buy some cat treats, and shake the package everytime you give them some, SO when you really do need to "catch" them all you will have to do is shake their treat package and they will come running!

My youngest 2 cats are 9 years old and still run all over the house! :rolleyes:

chico2
May 24th, 2005, 09:02 AM
Yes,shaking the cat-treat bag works every time,my oldest cat is 10 and if he does not come when called,the treatbag never fails.
Otherwise like everyone has said,kittens are kittens are kittens and we love them for it :love:

arrow
May 24th, 2005, 01:01 PM
Thanks people !!! :thumbs up

Since you are all experts can you please also tell me if their behaviour is strange?.... From what I have heard cats dont like water... they wonder about during night time and they love cat biscuits.

Mine like water and as I said earlier they jump in the bathroom even if the water is running... they sleep long hours during night time.... and they dont like cat biscuits.... I tried to lure them with these at the beginning but to no success. I bought different flavours but they are indifferent.

But today I went and bought a couple of bags cat-treats and guess what?

it worked... it actually worked... I opened the door and they raced everywhere in the house.... I let them be for 5 minutes and then I shook one of the little bags in front of them.... of course they didnt know what they were but were very curious so they started jumping on my feet.... I led them in their room. They seemed very happy with the treat and they stopped miaouing to get out.... :) :)

I must confess that 2 nights ago I was so fed up with their mischief I had decided to give them away.... but I had second thoughts.... now I hope I can teach them how to behave until they grow up and I can let them go for a walk about alone in the back yard.

Princesss04
May 24th, 2005, 01:57 PM
[QUOTE=Ghullums_mom] i cant pee alone anymore.

You did not know that you need help peeing! LOL I do as well I have Meater, Chino, and two kittens that follow that rule! LOL They must not want nothing to happen to mom! :D

Eleni
May 24th, 2005, 02:08 PM
whenever i go pee all i ever see is a calico paw reach in under the door

if i let her in she tries to jump in my lap

Eleni

CyberKitten
May 24th, 2005, 04:16 PM
Almost every time I go to the bathroom, little noses pop into the room. Especially my Siamese!! Miss nosy cannot miss anything!!!

Bearsmom
May 25th, 2005, 08:06 AM
now I hope I can teach them how to behave until they grow up and I can let them go for a walk about alone in the back yard.

Next lesson for you: Cats have staff. LMAO!!!!! ;)

april21h1
May 25th, 2005, 09:15 AM
its good that you have two of them to play with each other. i would recommend getting lots of toys ie felt mice, ping pong balls, a good scratching post ( i have 2) , a laser light ( that is the funniest to watch them go after)

but you have described what my cats act like daily. so get them some toys and have fun playing :thumbs up

by the way my cats do not go outsde without a leash and a harness, beacuse if they see something they like, they are gone very fast.

arrow
May 27th, 2005, 05:03 PM
tomorrow I am taking him them to the Vet's for their first shot and I am worried... :sad:....is it going to hurt?

chico2
May 27th, 2005, 05:07 PM
Don't worry,they'll be ok,it hurts probably as much as it hurts you getting a needle.They usually get a little drowsy afterwords,but they'll be fine... :love:

JDG
May 27th, 2005, 05:13 PM
i wouldnt worry about your little guys! They'll be fine! Shots are never fun, and heck we know they don't tickle or anything, but its over very very quickly. The vet will lift up the scruf of skin the mommy cat used to pick them up by, and they get their shots there. Its all pretty painless. . .

If you are worried, why not pack Prince & Princess' favourite toy or blanket to soothe them. . .

They'll handle the day better that you! Trust me!!

I took my kittens almost a month ago for their first shots. They were stars!

arrow
May 27th, 2005, 09:35 PM
Thx once again !!!

For all the advice given.... I should have come to you earlier.... you are trully a lot of help and encouragement.... :thumbs up

Yesterday was a quiet day but today the little monsters are back to their usual self.... they enjoy the attention I think.... :rolleyes:

JDG I will try that with their favourite blanket...