Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Please Help

strawcherry
May 22nd, 2005, 10:43 AM
I Have A Year Old Shepherd Mix I Have Had Her Since She Was A Puppy And She Is Trained,and Yesterday My Boyfriend Moved In With His Boxer Mix Dog That Is Not Trained Because He Only Had Him For 2 Days. My Dog Acts Nervous Around His Dog And When Ever His Dog Comes Near My Dog She Goes In Her Cage And Won't Come Out Unless She Has To Go Outside. What Can I Do So That They Can Get Use To Each Other Without Mateing ,because I Am Not Ready For Them To Mate Yet , But Maybe Sometime In The Future.

Lucky Rescue
May 22nd, 2005, 10:48 AM
Breeding mongrels is not a smart thing to do. Why would you even think of this?
Do you know there are over 100,000 homeless dogs listed on Petfinder alone? Do you know that millions of dogs are killed every year because there aren't enough homes,and that a large number of them are mixed breeds? Do you really want to add to this?

Get both dogs spayed and neutered first, then you can work on having them get along.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 22nd, 2005, 10:51 AM
Why the world would you want to mate them. I look at the rescue sites everyday and believe me there is lots of shepherds and boxers there. If I were you I would get them both fixed it will safe you the trouble of finding them homes, not to mention the cost of vet bills and any complications that may arise from the pregnancy! You would be doing a good thing by getting them both spayed and neutered maybe not so good if you do not the rescue and spca workers would just have more dogs on there hands.
:)

LavenderRott
May 22nd, 2005, 11:15 AM
I think you need to do just a bit more research before you consider breeding. Just because they are "used to each other" doesn't mean they are going to mate.

Petfinder lists about 70% of the homeless animals in the U.S. As of right now, there are 116,832 dogs listed there. There are 3,040 Boxers listed and 6,620 German Shepherds listed.

Please read the following threads:
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=15343

http://www.dogstuff.info/achieving_genetic_health.html

kate_katlover
May 22nd, 2005, 11:19 AM
Because your dog is scared of the other dog you think eventually they will mate!? As everyone said, there is a lot of dogs out there in need of a good home. Don't add to this...

CyberKitten
May 22nd, 2005, 02:32 PM
Breeding is only acceptable if your dogs are champions of dog shows are you breed them in order to better a breed. It ia absolutely unacceptable to breed two seperate breeds - even the designer breeds are not recognized and are essentially backyard breeders. Unless you are an experienced breeder of championship dogs, it is not a task to take lightly! I do hope you reconsider the toughts of breeding these two. As Lucky said, there are thousands of unwanted mongrels and even purebreds for that matter in rescue now, sighhhhhhhh!!!

Crazy Hippie
May 22nd, 2005, 03:05 PM
This reminds me of a discussion with my friend the other day. She just got a bunny and "oh it's so cute, I'm going to get another one so they can have babies". I couldn't believe my ears..she should know better than to say this to someone like me lol! Even if you have puppies and make sure they go to good homes (as she said she would with her bunnies), try to imagine what happens if each of those puppies has puppies...how many potentially abused/unwanted/neglected animals are created? Please rethink this for the sake of the dogs. Take a walk through your local animal shelter; seeing the sad and desperate look in the eyes of those dogs will maybe change your mind. :crazy: