Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

need to find somthing to pass time.....

lilith_rizel
May 22nd, 2005, 09:43 AM
James left for his 4 month class this morning, and it is SO boring here. The house is spic and span, so I have nothing to do there, and I don't drive, so I can't go anywhere, unless I call Jen, and she is busy... I just don't want to be so bored and loney for the next four months. Can anyone suggest something that would pass time quickly?

BMDLuver
May 22nd, 2005, 09:48 AM
Is there a Mommy and Me group near you? Start scrapbooking? Take an online course? Just some suggestions. :)

happycats
May 22nd, 2005, 09:55 AM
How about taking driving lessons? learning how to drive will open soooo many doors for you and give you freedom and independance!! :) JMO

lilith_rizel
May 22nd, 2005, 10:09 AM
Happycats,

It would cost way too much money for driving classes. Here you have to take more than 1 class, and each class is $350, plus the cost of drivers permit, and the actual license. And the closest place is about 20 minutes away, and everydayfrom 7pm til 10 pm for 3 weeks I think. So we have to pay alot for gas too. And then a babysitter on top of it.....

BMD lover, there aren't any mommy and me groups here. And college is out of the question. I have my first student loan to pay off yet.... And I have done the scrap booking too, but now we keep all our pictures online, and hardly print off any of them anymore, but maybe I will start one for Judith.....

Eleni
May 22nd, 2005, 10:11 AM
I take the kids for walks when i get bored.

I spend alot of time alone with the kids so I know the feeling.

I also go out with my mom once a week or so.

and talk to my brothers alot on the phone.

Ive got alot of hobbies too, knitting sewing. scrapbooking cooking, baking.

and yeah my house is pretty spic and span too.

I dunno where you live but here they ahve drop in playgroups, i take the kids there a few times a week, that way the kids get to wear off energy and i get a bit of adult interaction.even the baby loves it.

Eleni

lilith_rizel
May 22nd, 2005, 10:12 AM
Plus the way people drive here, I wouldn't feel comfortable driving.....

If anyone has been to Washington DC, you know what I mean. They all drive crazy, and don't care who else is on the road. James and I have just about got into so many accidents, because people aren't watching where they are going, and just cut you off, or pull into the lane your in when you are right beside them.....

Eleni
May 22nd, 2005, 10:15 AM
You know this was the hardest part of adjusting to being a stay at home mom for me.

not so much boredom but lonliness. but I foudn the more I got outside, anywhere at the park to the store, even around the block.

I found the more i just "got out" the more people I interacted with, and the more I could fill my days.

lilith_rizel
May 22nd, 2005, 10:18 AM
Eleni, I wish I had family around here..... But my closest relatives live 1500 miles away. And getting ahold of any body in my family is near impossible. They are never home, either working, or out having fun. And with me living here only a year, I don't know too many people, and what all there is to do. I know there is a pool and a rec center somewhere on post, but haven't been able to find it yet....

Has anyone done candle making before?

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 22nd, 2005, 11:09 AM
Would it be possible for you to start a mom and baby (not sure how old your child is)group in your home. Is there a community paper you could put an ad in. Maybe there is some other moms in similar prediciments. We moved to a new town 6 years ago and new know one and no family here either. We do have some close friends now but its been hard finding them most are from out of town like us the ones that are from here just tend to stay together in their little cliques.

pupyluv668
May 22nd, 2005, 12:42 PM
Eleni, I wish I had family around here..... But my closest relatives live 1500 miles away. And getting ahold of any body in my family is near impossible. They are never home, either working, or out having fun. And with me living here only a year, I don't know too many people, and what all there is to do. I know there is a pool and a rec center somewhere on post, but haven't been able to find it yet....

Has anyone done candle making before?

i was an active career woman since i was 18....i started being a stay at home mom 2 years ago when i saw my kids growing up with me but yet hardly knowing who really was their mom. but what keeps me occupied is crafts, baking, cooking and i do some fruit preserves.....and most of all my duke....too bad driving school is too expensive there....i did that to just fill up my time while my husband is away working. i guess we have different likes....internet research is one more thing that keeps me occupied...i hardly ever chat but once i have a topic in my mind that i want to expand and learn more, i research online and before i know it, my hubby's home!!! just my 2 cents worth.... :D

raingirl
May 22nd, 2005, 07:41 PM
I remember you saying you wanted to learn how to cook and cook healthily (is that a word even?? healthily?).

Why not focus on that. Do you have a library near you? Maybe take out a couple books on cooking. I can recommend a few that are really great reference books. try a new recipe every day. If you need advice on how to cook something, let me know, I can cook anything!!

the other thing I do is crafts. Do you know how to knit or crochet? I taught myself last year, it's really fun. You can make blankets or scarves or hats and all kinds of things.

I have done candle making before...it was fun, but SOOOO messy and expensive. Something similar that I liked better was soap making. Buy a big block of glycerin soap, and some colours. Don't buy the soap making essential oils from the craft store, they are too expensive. I would by essential oils that you like from a health store, as you get more for your $$$. I have tons of soap recipes as well. My fav is to take some regular quick cook oatmeal, put it in the blender and grind it to a powder. Mix that with the melted glycerin, and add about 50-100 drops of tea tree oil. I make a huge block, and just slice off a peice when I need it. Great for dry skin in the winter.

I'm super crafty and can give you instructions or recipes for anything. I also make jewelry like beaded necklaces and such. It's a little expensive though unless you can find a good bead store near you that sells in bulk instead of pre-packaged bags of beads.

Have you even thought of becoming a girl scout leader? I was in girl guides (girl scout equivalent in canada) for 15 years...starting out in brownies when I was 6 or 7, and I finished all the levels and became a leader. I worked in a few units until I moved to where I live now. there aren't any units near me now though that needed the help.

I know that most girl scout/guide organizations will allow you to bring your daughter with you. It's a few hours a week at the meeting, then you plan events for each meeting with the other leaders during the week. You get to do crafts and painting, camping sometimes, badges. Its real fun. That's where I learned how to do all the things I know about crafts and such. And I love working with kids. It also looks great on a resume. And you probably don't need to know how to drive or anything, as other leaders could probably offer you a ride. And they do have units in Fort Meade for all ages! I loved girl guides. It was a place where only girls were allowed, and you learned to many life skills.

Here is a link to Maryland Girl Scouts. http://www.emf.net/~troop24/scouting/gs-md.html

lilith_rizel
May 22nd, 2005, 07:55 PM
Well, I will try anything. I hope something will keep me occupied. I am the type who tends to loose interest quickly with hobbies too, which makes it even more difficult.

I was thinking about spending my afternoons at my friend Jen's house. But she is supposed to be having her baby any day now, so that might not be a great idea, especially when the baby comes home. I just wish that our neighbors were closer to our age, and not 20 years older than us. Everyone we live by is twice our age (we are only 21) There is one neighbor that seems quite friendly, but with the military, you can't do things (bbq's, parties, ect) with higher ranking military, and this guy is quite a bit higher than James is so that's out of the question.

raingirl
May 22nd, 2005, 07:58 PM
Here is another site:

http://www.gscnc.org/volunteers/

and a number:

Toll Free 1- 800- 523-7898

Just call and tell them you would like info on volunteering. Maybe they can hook you up with something.

Prin
May 22nd, 2005, 09:56 PM
How about getting in shape? I didn't get a job this summer because I was supposed to have surgery, and that's my goal...

How about just learning? Like think of something that always interested you but you knew nothing about and look it up for a while...

Catch up on movies you haven't seen...

Redecorate a room...

Ooooh that learn to cook one was a good one... :)

Princesss04
May 23rd, 2005, 09:26 AM
Prin that is my goal this summer I want to be in great shape before we get pregnant than it will not be as bad after the baby comes. Or that is what people tell me. So I have weight to drop. I like the idea of being a stay home mom but I am not sure if I am ready for it yet. I would do Judith a baby book! Even though you have your pictures online that is something you could pass down to her. I scrap book. I use Creative Memories (I do not sell it just use it) anyway I love it.You can also get things for that from Wal Mart Hobby Lobby, etc. I wish we were closer to each other we could vist I am going through the same thing. There is not alot of people my age and in our church, which I am very active in, there is not alot of people our age. So it does make it hard and than there are single people our age but it is hard to fit in with their schedule and them in mine being married and all. So I will be thinking of you because I know how it feels. You could always make a trip to IN or me up there and we could hang out. LOL :D

happycats
May 23rd, 2005, 09:38 AM
What about gardening!? you can grow herbs (for your new cooking hobby ;) ) or vegetables (nothing better then fresh grown veggies for kids) or flowers!
I find gardening relaxing, enjoyable, it's theraputic, and you can do it with your baby there (I used to park my son's stroller in the shade, and enjoy!)
Also when your kids get older, they love to help! (my son loves helping plant and water the gardens).

lilith_rizel
May 23rd, 2005, 09:46 AM
James and I already started a flower garden. It is just a little one, so it just needs a bit of waterring and weeding.

Princesss04
May 23rd, 2005, 09:48 AM
What about gardening!? you can grow herbs (for your new cooking hobby ;) ) or vegetables (nothing better then fresh grown veggies for kids) or flowers!
I find gardening relaxing, enjoyable, it's theraputic, and you can do it with your baby there (I used to park my son's stroller in the shade, and enjoy!)
Also when your kids get older, they love to help! (my son loves helping plant and water the gardens).

Happyscats that is a good idea! Or doing flower beds! I started mine and it is fun! :D If I would stop chopping up worms and grabbing one end of them. That almost makes me sick but outside of that. :D Not bad! :D

happycats
May 23rd, 2005, 10:01 AM
Happyscats that is a good idea! Or doing flower beds! I started mine and it is fun! :D If I would stop chopping up worms and grabbing one end of them. That almost makes me sick but outside of that. :D Not bad! :D

I think your going to love gardening! You should try a little herb garden, it's great for cooking (nothing better then fresh herbs in a receipe)!

Princesss04
May 23rd, 2005, 10:11 AM
Are herb gardens pretty easy to keep up with? :D I would love to start one but need easy stuff as this is my first time doing all this. :D

lilith_rizel
May 23rd, 2005, 10:15 AM
I wish we could plant veggies or herbs, but you have to request a garden plot for those, and they are limited. I called in for a request and they are all filled up already.... :sad:

happycats
May 23rd, 2005, 10:36 AM
Are herb gardens pretty easy to keep up with? :D I would love to start one but need easy stuff as this is my first time doing all this. :D

Yes, you can actually buy a kit, (but much cheaper to buy it separately)
you can even grow them in containers (so lillith if you are allowed planter gardens you too can plant herbs) I find herbs very hardy and require little care (just water) they do have a habit of taking over your garden if you don't trim them back, ,thats why containers make them easier to care for'
You can get those nice terra cotta pots with openings all over the sides, they also look really nice once the herbs start growing! And you can even grow them on your window sill (sp) in your kitchen for easy access, for cooking.

kandy
May 23rd, 2005, 10:57 AM
I just have to say that I would be in heaven if my husband would leave for 4 months! :p I don't really have any suggestions to keep yourself busy, as I work and the only time I was a stay at home mom was when my son was an infant. I have also always had a drivers license so I was never without transportation to go where I wanted. If I had all that time to myself, I would read, read, read! I love to read and my husband hates it. If I try to read a book with him in the house he gets mad because if he talks to me I don't hear him - I get too involved in the story. I would also watch lots of movies - I can watch one over and over again, which my hubby hates worse than me reading! LOL!

lilith_rizel
May 23rd, 2005, 03:14 PM
I think the reason why it is so hard for me, is because there were 8 people in my family, so there were always people around me. And now that it is just Judith and I, it feels so lonely. Jen said it was ok for me to come over every few days though, so that is great. I just got back from there. I spent the last 4 hours there, and it past the time so quickly.